• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
This started life as a ginault. The case has been re shaped adding chamfer and a rebrush. A Vr 3135 was added. Also Gen dial, crystal,click spring, crown, DW, and a brand new blistered insert. The hands are ST and have been relumed to match the dial. I plan to add gen hands. The one thing I’m not crazy about is the sell fitment. I feel that it’s not
recessed enough. Any tips to make it better I’m all ears.
44d6741f351dc6f4aa36d79c11d3c949.jpg

53258236630985c072459bc2fb0e559c.jpg

57bc81efa5167beaf8ac27d62fc69939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't touch it. Leave it..looks good and no one would ever notice.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
No date with the divers bezel.

I do kids football coaching so use the timing bezel all the time for matches.

Mcqueen5513

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/22
Ok yall. I'm moving on my first build. I'm going to be taking my Ginault OR2 that I don't wear, putting a raffles dial and hands on it, and changing the crown.

i have a few questions regarding this, just to be sure:
So, for the crown, i've heard the gen crown will fit an ETA 2824 stem. So, by that logic, with my newly acquired 7mm gen crown, I can use a stem from here, yes?
https://www.esslinger.com/genuine-eta-replacement-watch-stems/

Does anyone know which stem i need?

Lastly:
Does anyone have tips for removing the lettering used on Ginault casebacks?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
A stem to fit eta 2824 is what you need.
I would source a different caseback, but turning and polishing on a lathe is probably the only way to do a professional job.

Mcqueen5513

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/22
A stem to fit eta 2824 is what you need.
I would source a different caseback, but turning and polishing on a lathe is probably the only way to do a professional job.

Yea, do you know the stem length? There's an option in the link i posted for a 16mm or a 20mm

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Ok yall. I'm moving on my first build. I'm going to be taking my Ginault OR2 that I don't wear, putting a raffles dial and hands on it, and changing the crown.

i have a few questions regarding this, just to be sure:
So, for the crown, i've heard the gen crown will fit an ETA 2824 stem. So, by that logic, with my newly acquired 7mm gen crown, I can use a stem from here, yes?
https://www.esslinger.com/genuine-eta-replacement-watch-stems/

Does anyone know which stem i need?

Lastly:
Does anyone have tips for removing the lettering used on Ginault casebacks?

Gen crown should screw right onto the original eta stem, and will screw onto the OR2 crown tube with no issue.

Raffles should have an available 16610 case back you can use I believe...

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I have handled both a Ginault and a TAG and the fit and finish / quality of the Ginault blows TAG out the water. The only reason TAG is up there is because of marketing. So what do you ultimately want? A marketed product with less quality or a quality product with less marketed advertisement? If you choose marketing that's fine (as you said, for YOU) but it's silly to call the Ginault a rip off when the quality easily contends with products thousands of dollars more expensive.

I'll judge between the ginault OR2 and the Tag Aquaracer as I have them both. Had the Tag close to 6 years (from new) and the OR2 recently picked up that hasn't left my wrist.

I'll try and do a head to head honest review between the two.

Reactions: HomeRye

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
A quick review on the Ginault SS

From order to receive was less than 2 weeks. Very impressive. Great personal service from John.
The silent service has a high-quality bezel assembly paired with a bright cold blue lume. The dial also looks crips. It’s a very nice micro brand release.
However, the bracelet feels very flimsy. Something off a $299 REP. Same with the clasp. This may be a dealbreaker to many as the watch feels a tad cheap in the hand but fits great on the wrist. In terms of quality this is a step down from the old TC Subs. This is also a step down from the first and second gen Ginault Rolex 5 series homange releases.
The case lugs and bracelet look to have different brushing. At a closer inspection looks like the watch is paired with a replacement bracelet.
A fair price for this piece is $500/600. I paid twice that. IMHO VSF provides better quality overall vs SS.