• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
First let me say that I respect your personal aesthetical preference. No issues there. But to me, and I am sure to many others here that bezel assembly on the 5-digit style case looks proportionally different, and it stands the foook out. However, I have no objection to your comment, if I am few feet away, I would not be able to tell at all.

Thank you for giving me an idea of what .3mm looks like. Feel free to read up my previous posts. You should learn I am very familiar with micro distance.

But since you gave me an example, let me give you some examples too why many here consider .3mm a huge gigantic difference. This circle we travel in isn't the normal world. This is the place where remember when Noob back in the days had their rehault depth and tilt angle wrong by a TINY bit and that became a tell? This is the circle where the BB58 had the tiny bit longer crown and became a tell, this is the circle where even if you have 0.1mm of gap in between the lugs and SEL won't get GLed. So in htis world that we travel in, 1/10 of a mm matters.

Thanks and appreciate the feedback. I understand where youre coming from. Will load up the blue insert on the next round.

Last edited:

exia78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/14
Oh yeah, sorry - I forgot - "Ginault is the same quality as Rolex", and the story is "one that you only see in Hollywood" - "a legend in the making"...

giphy.gif

Furthermore - edit - you must have missed most of what I’ve actually been saying…

Not exactly a smear is it…

What I meant was the expose wasn't taken down by WUS because Ginault was a sponsor, Cgt Bo said it himself.

You honestly don't think the OR2 is on par with a Tudor BB58 or a 6-digit Sub? (not counting the movement)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I just wanted to mention that I think the Rolex retaining ring that would fit on a Ginault would have to be one from a 116x Sub not a 126x Sub. The 126x has a larger crystal, bezel and insert so it would also have a larger retaining ring. Ginault would have had no reason to make (source) a retaining ring larger than what is needed for the standard 40mm Sub 29.5mm crystal. A 126x bezel and insert would significantly dwarf the Ginault case.

Here are some measurement pics

116x insert and bezel
ZuGcD1.jpg

jm44K8.jpg

126x insert and bezel
ZuGx9K.jpg

jm4M9K.jpg

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

exia78

8/2/14
Yes keep us posted. The feel of the bezel on the Ginault totally impressed me compared to any rep I've owned but time will tell if mine gets tight or not.

It might be worth an email to John and see what options you have with Ginault. Never hurts to ask, the worse they can say is no.

Would be interested to find out how the bezel action hold up after 2 months of use for you. Thanks!

Receiving mine soon, and I told John unlike my friends' I'd like mine butter smooth like what we get on the 6-digit Sub.

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
My bezel action on my recently acquired ORII is superb. Lovely and smooth and just the right amount of pressure needed to turn it. I asked John as well to ensure it wasn’t an overly hard turning action.

I’m sure yours will be the same.

Reactions: KJ2020 and exia78

exia78

8/2/14
My bezel action on my recently acquired ORII is superb. Lovely and smooth and just the right amount of pressure needed to turn it. I asked John as well to ensure it wasn’t an overly hard turning action.

I’m sure yours will be the same.

Great to know thanks! how long have you had yours?

Edit: nevermind I just read, you got your on Sept 10th

Last edited:
Reactions: HomeRye

exia78

8/2/14
No. I honestly don’t. Do you? Honestly?

TC Sub V7 xtr comes very close to the 16610 Sub. The OR2 towers over the 16610 a few folds for sure. OR2 is a much more solid watch over all. If you don't consider the movement (ETA2824-2/SW200-1 VS Rolex's 3235) and just look at the metal parts, dial, hands, workmanship, and the details, I think the OR2 is approaching the 6-digit Sub's build quality without a doubt.

And how can you not count the movement when making a comparison?

Why can't you?

While I have no argument that 3235 is a more superior engine than the 2824 in terms of power reserve and anti-mag resistance but if we are going to factor in the movement, it's also fair to factor in the maintenance cost of the 3235 is going to be (almost) the price of an OR2. For me I am perfectly happy with a watch that has close to Rolex build quality parts and a COSC capable and reliable movement ETA/Sellita that is easier and cheaper to maintain.

Last edited:
Reactions: weezkid

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
TC Sub V7 xtr comes very close to the 16610 Sub. The OR2 towers over the 16610 fold a few folds for sure. OR2 is a much more solid watch over all. If you don't consider the movement (ETA2824-2/SW200-1 VS Rolex's 3235) and just look at the metal parts, dial, hands, workmanship, and the details, I think the OR2 is approaching the 6-digit Sub's build quality without a doubt.

Why can't you?

While I have no argument that 3235 is a more superior engine than the 2824, if we are going to factor in the movement, it's also fair to factor in the maintenance cost of the 3235 is going to be (almost) the price of an OR2.

You’re comparing apples with oranges. Watchmaking has come a long way in 10 years - across every price point. I will not agree that the OR2 is close to a new Rolex on build quality though - sorry, that’s just nonsense.

As for the servicing cost - a 2824 costs $200 to service commercially every 5 years and a 3235 costs $800 every 10 years. Not a big deal. And again, I don’t see it as a valid comparison; It costs more to service a Mercedes than a Toyota - and that’s fine - I’ll take the Mercedes.

None of this matters though - enjoy the OR for what it is. Just don’t think it’s like a Rolex because it looks like one. The real litmus test of how good the OR2 is would be if it had the same movement and build quality but didn’t look like a Rolex.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Just stunning :) Really does look nice with the blue - I'd be tempted myself but holding out for the Silent Service.
Still loving mine as much a couple of months on - quality is insane.

Reactions: APjumbo

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Just stunning :) Really does look nice with the blue - I'd be tempted myself but holding out for the Silent Service.
Still loving mine as much a couple of months on - quality is insane.

anyone here have pictures of the silent service? rumored to look like omega??\

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I think it will have a hint of Omega Planet Ocean look about it but more distinct/original than how the OR2 compares to the Sub.

"Original" is the key..and like how one stated up there..it's what will separate Ginault from apart. excited to see.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
"Original" is the key..and like how one stated up there..it's what will separate Ginault from apart. excited to see.

I expect there will always be a degree of influence from elsewhere in the design - but something that doesn’t attract the trolls so much will be nice.

Reactions: weezkid