• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
...not just a microbrand who copies the design

That is EXACTLY what / all Ginault is - nothing more. If you can love it for that, then great, but you shouldn't try and paint it as anything other than a micro brand which rips off the design.

A red second hand and goofy wording (kinetic continuous / built) on the dial is neither an improvement, or remotely innovative.

Reactions: GottaHave

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
That is EXACTLY what / all Ginault is - nothing more. If you can love it for that, then great, but you shouldn't try and paint it as anything other than a micro brand which rips off the design.

A red second hand and goofy wording (kinetic continuous / built) on the dial is neither an improvement, or remotely innovative.

I really don’t get quite why some members are so obsessed with putting this watch down. They seem to get so worked up about it and then making a point about not being innovative or original on a replica forum. Got to laugh :)

It’s a very well made homage, I don’t think anyone is really arguing it’s more than that.

I’m happy with my purchase choice and I hope I like it as much as I expect to. We will see :)

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
I really don’t get quite why some members are so obsessed with putting this watch down. They seem to get so worked up about it and then making a point about not being innovative or original on a replica forum. Got to laugh :)

It’s a very well made homage, I don’t think anyone is really arguing it’s more than that.

I’m happy with my purchase choice and I hope I like it as much as I expect to. We will see :)

I'm not putting it down at all.

If you looked at what I quoted from Zeroed1 , You'll see it was me disagreeing with him when he said "its not just a microbrand which coped the design" - when thats the only thing Ginault is.

If you love it for being like that, thats cool - no issue at all. I'm glad you like it and I'm not saying for one moment you shouldn't.

There's also no irony in saying that on a rep forum either - printing GINAULT on the dial does not magically make it less of a rip off than anything else discussed here.

Last edited:

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland

If you looked at what I quoted from Zeroed1 , You'll see it was me disagreeing with him when he said "its not just a microbrand which coped the design" - when thats the only thing Ginault is.

If you love it for being like that, thats cool - no issue at all. I'm glad you like it and I'm not saying for one moment you shouldn't.

There's also no irony in saying that on a rep forum either - printing GINAULT on the dial does not magically make it less of a rip off than anything else discussed here.

Fair enough matey.

Zeroed1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/21

Geez, everything we say sure has to be qualified here in this forum.

My bad that I didnt make myself clear, I was referring to the quality. I meant to say yes, it absolutely is a copy/rip-off, no denying that, but its more than just a copy like a lot of others in the market (Pagani/steinhart etc etc), in that the quality is actually amazing. I wont say like Rolex since that involves precious metals, but I would say the quality is like handling a Tudor. Much like high end replicas, a lot has gone into the finer details of this watch, you'll see if you handle it or follow the development of TC over the years, unlike a lot of other copies which merely look like a sub but falls apart if you scrutinize it. (I have handled gen subs, rep subs, ginault, VSF, paganis, etc and paid a lot of attention to the feel and details).

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on Ginault. If all it is to you is the same as a $100 Loreo or Pagani, thats fine also.

Reactions: HomeRye

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Geez, everything we say sure has to be qualified here in this forum.

My bad that I didnt make myself clear, I was referring to the quality. I meant to say yes, it absolutely is a copy/rip-off, no denying that, but its more than just a copy like a lot of others in the market (Pagani/steinhart etc etc), in that the quality is actually amazing. I wont say like Rolex since that involves precious metals, but I would say the quality is like handling a Tudor. Much like high end replicas, a lot has gone into the finer details of this watch, you'll see if you handle it or follow the development of TC over the years, unlike a lot of other copies which merely look like a sub but falls apart if you scrutinize it. (I have handled gen subs, rep subs, ginault, VSF, paganis, etc and paid a lot of attention to the feel and details).

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on Ginault. If all it is to you is the same as a $100 Loreo or Pagani, thats fine also.

You mention TC a lot though. Are you sure it's not the allure of TC that draws you to this watch? The dial of ginault is pretty ugly.

I don't think I'll ever understand the purchase of a Ginault lol

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Perhaps I am naive or frankly just plain wrong but isn’t this a watch that (according to the manufacturer) is neither a rep nor a Gen? What next? An Invicta thread in this forum. Ugh.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
You guys should join the Ginault FB group..someone here had said it earlier...Some folks there, really have a mindset that Ginault had created Rolex or something.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The allure of Ginault is that it is (allegedly :winking:) made by the same person who made the TCs. For not much more than what a TC with a few gen parts is demanding nowadays, you can have a similar watch which is better quality in many respects. I bought a Ginault bracelet for my TC, the quality is better than any rep bracelet I have and it puts the TC bracelet to shame.

​Also swapping a few rep or gen parts into a Ginault can let you build an awesome rep. Basically it becomes a brand new, higher quality TC. So there's plenty of good reason to be discussing it here.

And as far as the notion of putting rep parts onto a gen watch, people do that all the time. I've been using a rep Glidelock clasp on my gen GMT for years. Best move I ever made with that watch. I suffered for years with an ill-fitting tuna can clasp that was always too tight or too loose. Not anymore, Glidelock is arguably the best of any new Rolex feature. It should be on a lot more models IMO. I have also used many aftermarket inserts to change up the look. Plenty of people use rep bracelets on gen Rolexes to avoid scratching up or wearing out their gen part.

V0QpAa.jpg

VSfNo2.jpg

-

Last edited:

GottaHave

Known Member
28/12/20
I'll say it once again, which is now over and over, Ginault needs to have a website that shows each watch & how much it costs along with when the fuck you can ACTUALLY expect to receive it.

They want my money they need to actually tell me what EVERY other vendor does.

I would NOT buy a Ginault as it appears to be the same game bullshit Rolex does. Let's NOT forget the Ginault is NOT a cheap watch $ wise for a Chinese made, so called knock off.
Ooops, sorry, I meant homage watch from China. Made in the USA? I call 100% bullshit and can ANYONE tell me where they're made in the US?

Reactions: Yogibear

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
You mention TC a lot though. Are you sure it's not the allure of TC that draws you to this watch? The dial of ginault is pretty ugly.

I don't think I'll ever understand the purchase of a Ginault lol
jjcWfK.jpg

Which in itself is fair enough :)

Just a shame so many on this thread seem to want to shit on the watch and by implication those of us who have bought one.

Last edited:

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
The allure of Ginault is that it is (allegedly :winking:) made by the same person who made the TCs. For not much more than what a TC with a few gen parts is demanding nowadays, you can have a similar watch which is better quality in many respects. I bought a Ginault bracelet for my TC, the quality is better than any rep bracelet I have and it puts the TC bracelet to shame.

​Also swapping a few rep or gen parts into a Ginault can let you build an awesome rep. Basically it becomes a brand new, higher quality TC. So there's plenty of good reason to be discussing it here.
-

Great input from someone who knows his stuff :)

Though I'm sure the trolls will be along soon to say that you don't......

Lovely GMT btw!

Reactions: KJ2020

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Great input from someone who knows his stuff :)

Though I'm sure the trolls will be along soon to say that you don't......

Lovely GMT btw!

He bought parts of the Ginault to swap into another watch. That I understand. That's normal... using the TC for a project makes sense even though very expensive if you bought the full watch for parts...

I don't understand buying the Ginault and wearing it without making it a Rolex. They put the company "about us" on their Dial. Very ugly to look at.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19

You gave the Ginault a purpose.... Watch parts lol

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
He bought parts of the Ginault to swap into another watch. That I understand. That's normal... using the TC for a project makes sense even though very expensive if you bought the full watch for parts...

I don't understand buying the Ginault and wearing it without making it a Rolex. They put the company "about us" on their Dial. Very ugly to look at.

Thankfully we each have our own preferences - as I like the dial, I like the sword hands and I like the golden sands colour I've picked. I've got a gen Rolex, so I'm a bit less bothered perhaps about needing to see that name on my wrist.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You gave the Ginault a purpose.... Watch parts lol

You conveniently left out the part of my QUOTE that justifies another big reason for buying a Ginault

​Also swapping a few rep or gen parts into a Ginault can let you build an awesome rep. Basically it becomes a brand new, higher quality TC.

It's a great base for a Franken TC. Still using it for parts but why not? They are great parts and many of us have easily spent as much or more on Franken projects.

I don't find the stock Ginault dial, hands, crown or caseback attractive and wouldn't buy one to keep it stock but if someone wants to do that and is happy with it, more power to them. It's still a high quality homage IMO.

But swapping all those parts and the clasp to even good rep parts would result in a NWBIG Superrep in my book. I was going to do exactly that until I scored a TC.

It's all about buying or creating watches you love to look at that make you happy so many times a day.

One of these checks that block many times over. I might still make one for myself just because I can.

Such a beautiful piece with so much history at a very reasonable cost. How could any Rolex Sub lover NOT want one of these if their budget allows for it?

Z2kv1E.jpg

fgvQE.jpg

fguW2.jpg

Watch owner Vvvlllooo

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
You conveniently left out the part of my QUOTE that justifies another big reason for buying a Ginault

It's a great base for a Franken TC. Still using it for parts but why not? They are great parts and many of us have easily spent as much or more on Franken projects.

I don't find the stock Ginault dial, hands, crown or caseback attractive and wouldn't buy one to keep it stock but if someone wants to do that and is happy with it, more power to them. It's still a high quality homage IMO.

Watch owner Vvvlllooo

What part did I leave out? You justified buying it for parts only right? That's where I sort of understand the purchase of a Ginault, for parts only.

I've held a ginault and feels exactly like my ARF sd43 bracelet. It's not exactly mind blowing Genuine Rolex stuff but yes it's above average replicas like a VRF or noob. Is it worth the premium? Personally no because at the end of the day if I pick ARF or ginault It's still a replica so I rather not overpay.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What part did I leave out? You justified buying it for parts only right? That's where I sort of understand the purchase of a Ginault, for parts only.

I've held a ginault and feels exactly like my ARF sd43 bracelet. It's not exactly mind blowing Genuine Rolex stuff but yes it's above average replicas like a VRF or noob. Is it worth the premium? Personally no because at the end of the day if I pick ARF or ginault It's still a replica so I rather not overpay.

Using a Ginault as a base for an NWBIG Superrep isn't the same as buying it for parts. All of the 5 parts swapped to it (hands, dial, crown, caseback and clasp) are fast and easy 1:1 swaps. The Ginault case, bezel, bracelet, crystal, movement and datewheel are better than any rep 16610 competitor, even its ancestor, the TC. I've had many different rep 16610s and they all fall short in multiple ways.

There's a whole lot to be said for being able to make an NWBIG 16610 rep without a bunch of case reshaping and modding to accept better rep or gen parts. It's something even minimally competent DIY'ers can accomplish with a beautiful result.

Of course it's not for everyone and you've made it quite clear it's not something you would ever do. But it certainly is a viable path to an outcome worth pursuing for some of us.

Reactions: HomeRye

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Using a Ginault as a base for an NWBIG Superrep isn't the same as buying it for parts. All of the 5 parts swapped to it (hands, dial, crown, caseback and clasp) are fast and easy 1:1 swaps. The Ginault case, bezel, bracelet, crystal, movement and datewheel are better than any rep 16610 competitor, even its ancestor, the TC. I've had many different rep 16610s and they all fall short in multiple ways.

There's a whole lot to be said for being able to make an NWBIG 16610 rep without a bunch of case reshaping and modding to accept better rep or gen parts. It's something even minimally competent DIY'ers can accomplish with a beautiful result.

Of course it's not for everyone and you've made it quite clear it's not something you would ever do. But it certainly is a viable path to an outcome worth pursuing for some of us.

Fair enough