• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
For 'ME' I would never agree that a Chinese Ginault is worth $1500 USD, that's crazy money for a homage. You can buy a TAG watch around that money and I know what the better watch is PLUS I understand I'm paying for TAG's worldwide marketing & sponsoring which Ginault do zero of. What a fucking rip off by Ginault.

Before you ratbags jump on me, I said for 'ME'. If you're happy to pay power to you.

I have handled both a Ginault and a TAG and the fit and finish / quality of the Ginault blows TAG out the water. The only reason TAG is up there is because of marketing. So what do you ultimately want? A marketed product with less quality or a quality product with less marketed advertisement? If you choose marketing that's fine (as you said, for YOU) but it's silly to call the Ginault a rip off when the quality easily contends with products thousands of dollars more expensive.

GottaHave

Known Member
28/12/20
I have handled both a Ginault and a TAG and the fit and finish / quality of the Ginault blows TAG out the water. The only reason TAG is up there is because of marketing. So what do you ultimately want? A marketed product with less quality or a quality product with less marketed advertisement? If you choose marketing that's fine (as you said, for YOU) but it's silly to call the Ginault a rip off when the quality easily contends with products thousands of dollars more expensive.

TAG is Swiss made and the Ginault is Chinese made. Quality comparison is not valid and to suggest it is downright ridiculous.

Next you'll be telling us all a VSF, ARF or Noob Sub is actually as good ,if not better than a Swiss Made Rolex.

Add to that again, TAG advertises and endorses many and Ginault does absolutely sweet f_ck all. They can't even run a website correctly. What a f_cking joke they're playing on suckers willing pay upwards of $1300 + .

Reactions: GDorantes13

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
TAG is Swiss made and the Ginault is Chinese made. Quality comparison is not valid and to suggest it is downright ridiculous.

Next you'll be telling us all a VSF, ARF or Noob Sub is actually as good ,if not better than a Swiss Made Rolex.

Add to that again, TAG advertises and endorses many and Ginault does absolutely sweet f_ck all. They can't even run a website correctly. What a f_cking joke they're playing on suckers willing pay upwards of $1300 + .
The gen Tag Acquaracer is made incredibly cheaply. A plastic spacer and a presumably unregulated movement. I had one and so did a coworker, bother kept terrible time.
My gen Tag Monaco had an off center date that would not pass rep QC.
"TAG Heuer plastic spacer rings: cost vs function | WatchUSeek Watch Forums" https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/tag-heuer-plastic-spacer-rings-cost-vs-function.4687631/

That said the Tag has more status and better resale. I still miss my Monaco.

Last edited:

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20

Did you ever had ginault in your hands?

Reactions: weezkid

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19

What a silly post. Because of country origin you think the quality gap is due to that? No wonder you bring up marketing so much, you clearly have fallen for it.

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
What a silly post. Because of country origin you think the quality gap is due to that? No wonder you bring up marketing so much, you clearly have fallen for it.

Good pick-up, I find it curious that we would have our sights squarely focused on what we think as value-for-money. Owning watches as a hobby means choosing the types of watches that we love, whether they are reps, mods, frankens or gens. When you are truly into your hobby, the sky can be the limit and money is secondary consideration. I paid $1100 for my Ginault because that's what I think is a reasonable price for a second hand unit and buying from a good mate. It saves me the trouble of having to communicate with the factory, waiting for the shipping etc and I got the combo that I wanted.

The value is in the eye of the beholder, no need to be judge, jury and executioner.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
My Ginault arrived yesterday and it's superb. Excellent fit and finish, bezel action feels great and it's such a comfortable watch. I ordered mid May - so it's been a reasonable wait but worth it. Zero QC's issues on my one and I'm delighted I've gone with the colour choice I have.

Pictures below, including one alongside my six-digit BK Sub. Excuse any smudges or dust - I'm not great at photos.

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
My Ginault arrived yesterday and it's superb. Excellent fit and finish, bezel action feels great and it's such a comfortable watch. I ordered mid May - so it's been a reasonable wait but worth it. Zero QC's issues on my one and I'm delighted I've gone with the colour choice I have.

Pictures below, including one alongside my six-digit BK Sub. Excuse any smudges or dust - I'm not great at photos.
Congratulations !

nurpur

I'm Pretty Popular
26/2/16
London

Nice pictures - photo skills are pretty good.....as are the watches :)

Reactions: HomeRye

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Cheers :)

Amazing how much smaller the 5 digit shape feels compared to the 6 digit maxi case. I know it is smaller but visually the impact is more than the measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I sold my Ginault... fantastic quality but I just can't vibe with the 5 digit case size. Too small for me

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
That's why I sold my Ginault... fantastic quality but I just can't vibe with the 5 digit case size. Too small for me

I’ve got a 42mm panerai arriving soon, so hopefully that doesn’t move my taste bar re size too far!

I used to feel 36 was the perfect size for me (7 inch wrist) but then that now feels way to small. Had and sold 3 BB58s over a period of time as I kept thinking 39 was the right size but felt too small. Currently 40 is my comfortable sweet spot. Hope it stays that way!

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
I’ve got a 42mm panerai arriving soon, so hopefully that doesn’t move my taste bar re size too far!

I used to feel 36 was the perfect size for me (7 inch wrist) but then that now feels way to small. Had and sold 3 BB58s over a period of time as I kept thinking 39 was the right size but felt too small. Currently 40 is my comfortable sweet spot. Hope it stays that way!

For me best to wear is 41mm sub , but ginault is very good for going out doesn't drag to much attention and I don't have to worry about WR

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Its been a couple of weeks with my VSF bezel assembly installed on my Ginault OR2..wow. Still.. nice bezel operation..smooth..no signs of it hardening or tight to turn. Smooth as butter when turning as it should be. Also, when I had installed the VSF..i replaced the original hyrtel ring from ginault..with the VSF. The stock ginault is not good in my opinion, can be installed with your hands, press not needed, which is bad. I did not pressure test new install but i don't ever wear this and will not wear in water. I feel more confident though as I needed a crystal press to install the hyrtle ringsHere is a current pict.

DutchSUB

Supporter
Certified
30/10/14
[EU] Netherlands
Its been a couple of weeks with my VSF bezel assembly installed on my Ginault OR2..wow. Still.. nice bezel operation..smooth..no signs of it hardening or tight to turn. Smooth as butter when turning as it should be. Also, when I had installed the VSF..i replaced the original hyrtel ring from ginault..with the VSF. The stock ginault is not good in my opinion, can be installed with your hands, press not needed, which is bad. I did not pressure test new install but i don't ever wear this and will not wear in water. I feel more confident though as I needed a crystal press to install the hyrtle ringsHere is a current pict.

​​​​​​Wow, I had this in mind, but never tried.

Did u used the 40mm or 41mm assembly?
And what about the click springs? Does it works smooth?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
​​​​​​Wow, I had this in mind, but never tried.

Did u used the 40mm or 41mm assembly?
And what about the click springs? Does it works smooth?

You know, I never even asked..I just bought off RWI parts. I assume it's the 41mm as that's the only way they come for submariners, correct ? I figured it came from a 126XXX VSF so it would have to be 41mm...Click springs are original from Ginault..Ginault took the 5 digit case and cnc'd the 6 digit click springs operations to OR2, based on my view..fits perfectly...no issue. Most parts are original Ginault. Build is Ginault, ARF dial and hands for eta 2824, VSF bezel assembly and insert. One bad ass fantasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Heres a pict with lume and up close..will try to take better picts and load in a couple of days

Reactions: KJ2020