• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

btrizzy1

Known Member
26/12/09
Where can I buy an Ocean Rover 2 with ceramic bezel insert? On their website I only see metal bezel inserts.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
John will also email you all the info and changes for the OR2 and photos - that's what he did when I asked for more info re buying. Email address is [email protected]. Shame they haven't updated the website in ages for the new models - but then they aren't struggling for business.

I guess they dont have time for the website, business seems to flow;)

Reactions: HomeRye

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Word is that they are going to be bringing out a more original design later this year (or starting pre-orders more likely) - though images haven't been released yet, though the moderator on the Facebook group and a couple others have seen then.

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
I'm not wearing it today but will compare when I get home. Pretty sure the paperwork that came with the watch said it was a SW200 but I've never opened the case back to say for sure.

I have an ARF SD43 that oascom swapped in a ETA 2824-2 "top grade" movement in place of the Asian 2824 I'll compare it to.

I also have a Tudor Black Bay 79220N which has an ETA 2824 but that may not be a fair comparison since I just read " The movement has been modified by Tudor (original an ETA 2824). In its modifications, Tudor removed the date function, changes the anti-shock mechanism, and slightly updated the hairspring stud.

Sorry got really busy the last week or so and didn't get back on here.

I would say the movement in my rep SD43 and the Ginault are very close. Maybe the Ginault is slightly smoother but its a very marginal difference.

The Tudor is much smother than either the SD43 or the Ginault which is to be expected considering the price point difference.

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
Just installed..smooth as butter and the retaining ring need a good press to install. Will see how the operation is in a couple of months.

really nice!

i saw your post detailing the part sources, but i have a few related questions
are the hands, dial, insert from the six digit reps?
if so, can the insert be directly swapped into the stock ginault bezel?

Last edited:

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
really nice!

i saw your post detailing the part sources, but i have a few related questions
are the hands, dial, insert from the six digit reps?
if so, can the insert be directly swapped into the stock ginault bezel?

Thanks. Hands and dial are from six digit ARF with 2824 movement, direct swap, bezel assembly and insert from Vsf..ceramic inserts will not fit the Ginault stock bezel…it is measured less than 37.7mm…Rolex 6 digits are more than 38mm and so are the reps

Reactions: tanith

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
Thanks. Hands and dial are from six digit ARF with 2824 movement, direct swap, bezel assembly and insert from Vsf..ceramic inserts will not fit the Ginault stock bezel…it is measured less than 37.7mm…Rolex 6 digits are more than 38mm and so are the reps

thanks for your response
please correct me if i’m wrong, do you mean that the bezel assembly and insert were also from a six digit sub, and fit on the case directly?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
thanks for your response
please correct me if i’m wrong, do you mean that the bezel assembly and insert were also from a six digit sub, and fit on the case directly?

Yes..if you go to page 25 of this thread or click this

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...to-reps/page25

You will see how the Ginault is assembled...Its pretty close to the six digit subs (my opinion exact same process)..Here's what you'll find from the FB forum (look below from John)..just have to have some watch skills to do the swap..noobs should not attempt..To answer your question..yes, all parts are from 6 digits and do fit the OR2.

you can't put a VSF or any ceramic on the Ginault because they purposely made the bezel assembly smaller to fit the smaller ceramic insert they have..it will not fit..you have to put on a current six digit sized bezel assembly to make the insert fit...

FYI from John:
"Both OR1 and OR2's bezel assemblies and inserts are replaceable. However, the process of swapping the insert can be semi-destructive to the insert itself and other parts involved. You need proper tools and knowledge in order to perform a flawless swap. Some members claim the swap can be done with minimal tools and by following some YouTube tutorials but we have seen many nightmare DIY cases where we ended up having to rescue the watch (with a fee) in the end. Improper techniques/tool can cause the inner/outer ring or the washer to bend. Most of the time, the PE gaskets securing the crystal and inner ring will also need to be replaced to ensure its waterproof ability (microscopic tears occurred during the removal process). Every time the crystal is removed, the underside and the dial, will also need cleaning since dust and foreign particles can get inside easily. Basically, every time the top portion of the watch is removed, our watchmaker will have to go through the complete cleaning and waterproofing process again. It is really not as simple as seen on those Youtube DIY tutorials if you want it done properly. Hence we strongly advise to only make the swap when necessary and be sure to use a skilled watchmaker for the job. Don't swap on a frequent basis as this watch is simplynot designed for this purpose this applies to both generations.
A side note, the ceramic insert is glued down to the bezel assembly tightly. To remove the existing ceramic insert you will have to separate it from the glued surface, and this process will crack/destroy the insert most times if not all the time. So it is doable but basically at the cost of sacrificing the existing ceramic insert."

IMG_6667-copy6ca68dfcd60b9d58.jpg

Last edited:

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
Yes..if you go to page 25 of this thread or click this

thank you for the super informative post
i think i may end up having a go at this, the combination of modern ceramic and glide lock on a five digit case is really compelling…

if only a direct swap of the entire bezel assembly and movement is needed, it does seem relatively straightforward

Last edited:
Reactions: exia78

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
thank you for the super informative post
i think i may end up having a go at this, the combination of modern ceramic and glide lock on a five digit case is really compelling…

if only a direct swap of the entire bezel assembly and movement is needed, it does seem relatively straightforward

no problem man..i wanted a slimmer case..with ceramic insert watch..so i bought a Ginault to build this fantasy watch with leftover parts I had in the bin..then Rolex rolled out with the slimmer lug 41MM subs...boom..

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
no problem man..i wanted a slimmer case..with ceramic insert watch..so i bought a Ginault to build this fantasy watch with leftover parts I had in the bin..then Rolex rolled out with the slimmer lug 41MM subs...boom..

that may be true but I am not particularly a fan of the seadweller clasp, nor is the case as quite as slim as a five digit
may go the ginault route regardless

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I love my OR1 - Did a little mod work and its the perfect travel watch

120363935-2728833054051484-1439299448921620048-n.jpg

nice one! I would have kept the Ginault dial too but mine came with smaller indices (prototype) and being green vs smurf glow also. I need bigger dial markers to read for my blind eyes.. You are also correct..this is my alternate travel watch (when I go to sketchy places watch)

Last edited:

Pixlputterman

Renowned Member
8/1/19
Idaho
nice one! I would have kept the Ginault dial too but mine came with smaller indices (prototype) and being green vs smurf glow also. I need bigger dial markers to read for my blind eyes.. You are also correct..this is my alternate travel watch (when I go to sketchy places watch)

I cant afford a true travel GMT so a nice 12 hour will do for now :)

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
Hinclimincli KJ2020 and other contributors...many thanks for the loads of information and robust sharing!

I have been offered a Ginault OR II with Kermit bezel for about $1100, the condition is basically almost new so it's a 26%-27% discount of the retail price. I was also offered a TC V6 by another friend but considering everything else (finishing of case, bracelet etc) I feel that the OR II represents a better deal. Especially when I take into consideration of what kj2020 said about the franken possibility with gen crystal, dial and other things as one sees fit. Then again, I probably would just keep it as it is as one never knows how the brand would do in the future.

Reactions: Hinclimincli