• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Zeroed1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/21
so I'm a bit less bothered perhaps about needing to see that name on my wrist.

Amen to that.

Some people dont get homages that look like a Rolex, but doesnt say Rolex on the dial.

Some people dont get reps, saying its a fake, you're lying to yourself and the world, yadda yadda.

Some horology purists get furious at either, claiming that everything has to be manufactuter original and put these things on a pedestal as if they are some kind of heavenly trinket.

Most others dont even get why a bunch of us are so obsessed over a piece of antique technology on our wrists, when an Apple watch is far superior in every way.

Its quite ironic when a rep lover knocks a homage lover though :balloon:

I own a bit of everything so I guess I really dont get what the fuss is about either... I just like them as well made, good looking pieces.

Zeroed1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/21
Such a beautiful piece with so much history at a very reasonable cost. How could any Rolex Sub lover NOT want one of these if their budget allows for it?

Z2kv1E.jpg

fgvQE.jpg

fguW2.jpg

Watch owner Vvvlllooo

Oh my god stop. You're tempting me to franken my ginault BADLY :laughing:

Thats BEAUTIFUL!

Reactions: HomeRye and KJ2020

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
I was the OP on this thread but have not been on it in about three months. I got tired of the negativity mostly and I felt that my question had been answered by people who actually own a Ginault.

Mine showed up last week. After a week on the wrist I'm here to thank those you shared with me their first hand opinion of the Ginault.

Mine is a 201175LSICN which means it's a OR2, date with cyclops, maxi dial/hands, smurf lume, black ceramic insert.

I am very happy with fit and finish of this watch. I'm not going to debate if its better quality than a brand "XYZ" rep, or if its worth the money. To me it is. I say that owning a few different reps and a couple gen Rolex watches. If you are on the fence about getting a Ginault I say just order one and find out for yourself. YOUR opinion is the only one that matters. If you decide it's not for you then put it up for sale on the Ginault Facebook page, from what I've seen most sell in the first day.

jAZJik.jpg

Last edited:

ZMCoupe

Known Member
Certified
5/3/21
I’ve been tempted to get a OR2 since this thread popped up and having been watching for second hand ones, I can confirm that they sell fast and for close to the cost of new.

Glad to hear you like yours and I will probably place an order soon as well.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
I was the OP on this thread but have not been on it in about three months. I got tired of the negativity mostly and I felt that my question had been answered by people who actually own a Ginault.

Mine showed up last week. After a week on the wrist I'm here to thank those you shared with me their first hand opinion of the Ginault.

Mine is a 201175LSICN which means it's a OR2, date with cyclops, maxi dial/hands, smurf lume, black ceramic insert.

I am very happy with fit and finish of this watch. I'm not going to debate if its better quality than a brand "XYZ" rep, or if its worth the money. To me it is. I say that owning a few different reps and a couple gen Rolex watches. If you are on the fence about getting a Ginault I say just order one and find out for yourself. YOUR opinion is the only one that matters. If you decide it's not for you then put it up for sale on the Ginault Facebook page, from what I've seen most sell in the first day.

Nice one :) I'm expecting mine later this month (fingers crossed) - can't come soon enough. You are right re second hand prices - they seem to sell really quickly.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Love the Ginault. My biggest complaint has and always been the turning of the bezel. For spending over $1000, it really shouldn't have this issue. After a couple of months...gets real hard to turn the bezel, I mean rock solid. Sending it to John is not an option as I bought it second hand, two months old. I've actually took this apart and concluded that the retaining ring is machined too low or short causing the bezel assembly to have too much friction making it hard to turn itself. I've swapped out crystal gaskets too and this helped but then water resistant is compromised. I can put on the retaining ring by hand pressure, using ginault spec gasket, not a good thing. I scored a VR bezel assembly and so I am going to put that sucker on and wear it a couple of months to see if it does the same thing. Will keep you posted.

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Love the Ginault. My biggest complaint has and always been the turning of the bezel. For spending over $1000, it really shouldn't have this issue. After a couple of months...gets real hard to turn the bezel, I mean rock solid. Sending it to John is not an option as I bought it second hand, two months old. I've actually took this apart and concluded that the retaining ring is machined too low or short causing the bezel assembly to have too much friction making it hard to turn itself. I've swapped out crystal gaskets too and this helped but then water resistant is compromised. I can put on the retaining ring by hand pressure, using ginault spec gasket, not a good thing. I scored a VR bezel assembly and so I am going to put that sucker on and wear it a couple of months to see if it does the same thing. Will keep you posted.

Do you have an OR1 or OR2?

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20

got mine very nice piece , quality is there but most important thing for me it's running +2sec per day after 5days at my wrist

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
Delighted to see yours turned up - I've gone for the same configuration and hopefully not much longer to wait!
There was delay watch should be with me in June , but once I got tracking number watch turned up three days later , sand lume is very nice ,good choice

Reactions: HomeRye

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Ich war der OP in diesem Thread, war aber seit ungefähr drei Monaten nicht mehr dabei. Ich hatte die Negativität meistens satt und hatte das Gefühl, dass meine Frage von Leuten beantwortet wurde, die tatsächlich einen Ginault besitzen.

Meine ist letzte Woche aufgetaucht. Nach einer Woche am Handgelenk bin ich hier, um denen zu danken, die Sie mir aus erster Hand über den Ginault mitgeteilt haben.

Meins ist ein 201175LSICN, was bedeutet, dass es ein OR2 ist, Datum mit Zyklopen, Maxi-Zifferblatt / -Zeiger, Schlumpf-Lume, schwarzer Keramikeinsatz.

Ich bin sehr zufrieden mit Passform und Verarbeitung dieser Uhr. Ich werde nicht darüber diskutieren, ob es von besserer Qualität ist als ein Repräsentant der Marke "XYZ" oder ob es das Geld wert ist. Für mich ist es. Ich sage, dass ich ein paar verschiedene Wiederholungen und ein paar Rolex-Uhren der Generation besitze. Wenn Sie sich einen Ginault kaufen möchten, bestelle ich einfach einen und finde es selbst heraus. Nur DEINE Meinung zählt. Wenn Sie sich entscheiden, dass es nichts für Sie ist, stellen Sie es auf der Facebook-Seite von Ginault zum Verkauf, von dem, was ich am ersten Tag am meisten verkauft habe.

I also wait for my OR2.
May I ask, the movement, as i understand, is a GEN Sellita? And now I read of Asia clone?
How does the winding feel in comparison to a Gen Eta or a Rolex or a VS Movement - also so smooth?

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
I got sellita in my or2 , winding is smooth can't feel any difference between gen eta2836 and sellita sw200 , but I wouldn't compare it to gen Rolex

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
got mine very nice piece , quality is there but most important thing for me it's running +2sec per day after 5days at my wrist

You are not helping with my buyer's remorse on my choice of Glowing Smurf vs Gold Sand... :)
I love what I have but I also like the look of the Gold Sand.

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States

Yes keep us posted. The feel of the bezel on the Ginault totally impressed me compared to any rep I've owned but time will tell if mine gets tight or not.

It might be worth an email to John and see what options you have with Ginault. Never hurts to ask, the worse they can say is no.

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
You are not helping with my buyer's remorse on my choice of Glowing Smurf vs Gold Sand... :)
I love what I have but I also like the look of the Gold Sand.
That's was hard choice, but I decide to get some more vintage look , glowing smurfs are very nice too

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
I also wait for my OR2.
May I ask, the movement, as i understand, is a GEN Sellita? And now I read of Asia clone?
How does the winding feel in comparison to a Gen Eta or a Rolex or a VS Movement - also so smooth?

I'm not wearing it today but will compare when I get home. Pretty sure the paperwork that came with the watch said it was a SW200 but I've never opened the case back to say for sure.

I have an ARF SD43 that oascom swapped in a ETA 2824-2 "top grade" movement in place of the Asian 2824 I'll compare it to.

I also have a Tudor Black Bay 79220N which has an ETA 2824 but that may not be a fair comparison since I just read " The movement has been modified by Tudor (original an ETA 2824). In its modifications, Tudor removed the date function, changes the anti-shock mechanism, and slightly updated the hairspring stud.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Yes keep us posted. The feel of the bezel on the Ginault totally impressed me compared to any rep I've owned but time will tell if mine gets tight or not.

It might be worth an email to John and see what options you have with Ginault. Never hurts to ask, the worse they can say is no.

Just installed..smooth as butter and the retaining ring need a good press to install. Will see how the operation is in a couple of months.

Reactions: Kielxx

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15

Just installed..smooth as butter and the retaining ring need a good press to install. Will see how the operation is in a couple of months.