• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

GottaHave

Known Member
28/12/20
$ is relative.

Sure a Ginault is expensive, and, while it's not my cup of tea, it's in a different league to Squale / Steinhart.

If you must have a Submariner homage, then the Ginault is the one to have

Honest question here - have you held a Squale in your hands?

Yes, the Ginault looks good but the Squale is Swiss made with a Swiss ETA for $595.

I've asked many times and nobody answers the question, where are Ginaults made in the US and why does their site have no actual US address listed?
Also, if I order an OR2 when do I actually receive it? I can't see this info anywhere & $1500 is $1500.

Not being provocative but these should be simple & easy answers to ask for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yogibear

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Couple things bro.

For one I did not say that VSF is higher quality. I said they're roughly the same and that's regarding the finishing.

Ginault has a legit swiss movement and should justifiably cost more. The asian clone movement you spoke about is in their OR1. Their OR2 has an actual legit ETA/Selitta.

Now I prefer the VSF but that's purely because of aesthetics. But we have to understand that we can't equivocally compare a replica's price to a gen's price. Ginault is still a gen, using rep prices for genuine pieces just doesn't work.

Reps don't come with customer service, a return period, or being sent back to the seller for fixing if things go wrong, a warranty, a regulated movement in all positions, making sure it actually IS waterproof, etc... there are lots of things you're leaving out that a person is paying extra for once going gen. Those factor into gen prices. Paying $400 for a Ginault and expecting all that is just not possible.

If you're saying that a Ginault, in gen terms is not worth $1500 then what is? Cause I can tell you it definitely is. What watch, in gen, under two grand would you say is worth it when the Ginault isn't? I have handled Oris, Hamilton, Seiko, Nomos, Longines, Sinn, Stowa etc that are in the 1k to 2k price bracket and the Ginault was above them in quality. It started to lose once you reach Monta watches. Now one can say those other brands are worth more money because of heritage and brand, history and lineage and blah blah. That's up to the person wearing whatever is on their wrist if the brand name is worth the sacrifice in quality.

So going the gen route it's worth the money if you like the aesthetics. The quality IS there. Now I don't have a Ginault anymore due to subjective aesthetic reasons. But I respect their pricing. Calling it a $400 dollar watch is horribly underselling it.

Well said.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I have owned Squale, Steinhart, Tissell, Tiger Concept and Ginault watches. I only have a Ginault and a Tiger Concept in my collection, of all these. In terms of quality, Ginault is still in another league. In terms of value, nothing beats the Tiger Concept.

And in terms of looks, I’m afraid I already gave my opinion on Squale and Steinhart. If I buy a “legal” copy of a watch, I want it as close as possible, I don’t like “personal interpretations” like Steinhart’s lugs or Squale’s date window. Same with their clasps. Don’t get me wrong, they are great watches per se. Swiss movement, sapphire crystal, etc, for around $500 is decent. But there are obvious differences with a Ginault. One important difference is that the Ginault case, bezel, etc, is machined, whereas the Steinhart and Squale are done by metal injection mould which is a cheaper technique. Again, they’re good watches too, just not as close to a 16610 as a Ginault it. Still a good option if you are happy to trade those looks for some 100 of $.

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Let's lay out my two premises:

1) Ginault is not above VSF in quality

2) It's not worth 3x the price of VSF (for finishing alone)

This is not enough to conclude that I believe the VSF is higher quality. You jumped to that conclusion on these two criteria when in all actuality I meant that they share the same level of quality in fit and finish and thus one shouldn't be 3x the price of another from a finishing standpoint

Ginault's OR2 is not even on their website. Their website shows their OR1 models only. So updated information on their swiss movement won't be there.

And again regarding gen prices, you didn't state why it shouldn't be over 1k. You ignored my arguments why it should be. Why is that? Why are the other brands worth being 1k-2k+ while the Ginault shouldn't?

Steinharts are around 500-600. The Ginault makes a Steinhart feel like garbage. It would be ridiculous if they are priced the same. Unless you're saying Steinharts should in turn be sold for 150-200? And then Parnis watches should be sold for 20 dollars?

I've never held a VSF or Ginault so I can't compare the quality differences between the two.

One thing I see time and time again is the price of the Ginault is being inflated. I'm getting mine for $1200 with free shipping. Looking at intime's website the $468 and if my memory is correct the last watch I got from them was about $48 shipping so the total price would be $516 so its not 3x the price.

In the past I've been curious about Steinhart, glad I didn't waste my time on them after hearing that comment!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Honest question here - have you held a Squale in your hands?

Yes, the Ginault looks good but the Squale is Swiss made with a Swiss ETA for $595.

I've asked many times and nobody answers the question, where are Ginaults made in the US and why does their site have no actual US address listed?
Also, if I order an OR2 when do I actually receive it? I can't see this info anywhere & $1500 is $1500.

Not being provocative but these should be simple & easy answers to ask for.

Yes, I’ve held all of them in my hand. A Squale sub is comparable to a Steinhart, which I’ve owned, now long gone. The Ginault fit / finish / execution is in a different tier. All have Swiss movements.

The where its made thing doesn’t bother me that much. I just wish the Ginault dial said ‘made’ instead of ‘built’ which makes it sound like a truck. I dont know how long it will take to get one. Like I said - not my cup of tea. But having handled one, if you must have a homage, and appreciate finish, this is the one to get.

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
I originally asked about Ginault vs reps because this is a rep site. I own reps. So I'd have a baseline to compare it to. A VSF Sub vs ARF I can't say since I've only owned ARF. But I still get a general idea of how they'd compare.

I've also read a lot of gen Rolex vs Ginault articles. I own gen Rolex so I have that baseline too.

But in the end my interest in Ginault is because it sounds to be a decent watch and its not a fake Rolex.

For what I've seen on FB if I decide to catch and release the watch I'll have no problem getting most if not all of my money back out of it so why not experience it for myself? Because honestly I think that is the only way to really know, and anyone sharing opinions based on anything other than personal experience in the end is worthless.

As far as all the talk about cost ratios, anyone who owns a gen watch knows the ratios will never make sense to own it. If you search my past posts on Tudor or Rolex reps I bought and then bought the gen I say it every time. The gen is not worth in some cases 15x the cost of the rep.

a5539925

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/18

Some ORII goodness. An exceptionally well built timepiece.

Date Looks weird like on cheapos

Is it a ‘precision chronometer’ with asian movement (handbuilt in america, a village near guangzhou) +-45sec???

Pagani design has better date

Nice watch

Reactions: Yogibear

a5539925

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/18
I originally asked about Ginault vs reps because this is a rep site. I own reps. So I'd have a baseline to compare it to. A VSF Sub vs ARF I can't say since I've only owned ARF. But I still get a general idea of how they'd compare.

I've also read a lot of gen Rolex vs Ginault articles. I own gen Rolex so I have that baseline too.

But in the end my interest in Ginault is because it sounds to be a decent watch and its not a fake Rolex.

For what I've seen on FB if I decide to catch and release the watch I'll have no problem getting most if not all of my money back out of it so why not experience it for myself? Because honestly I think that is the only way to really know, and anyone sharing opinions based on anything other than personal experience in the end is worthless.

As far as all the talk about cost ratios, anyone who owns a gen watch knows the ratios will never make sense to own it. If you search my past posts on Tudor or Rolex reps I bought and then bought the gen I say it every time. The gen is not worth in some cases 15x the cost of the rep.

Get jf 5 digit
It’s the reason why tc went out of business

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
I've come to the conclusion that if I posted pics of a gen watch saying I just got the latest "Factory XYZ" watch that the fans of XYZ would praise how close it is to gen and the haters would tear it to shreds that its no where near close to gen.

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I've come to the conclusion that if I posted pics of a gen watch saying I just got the latest "Factory XYZ" watch that the fans of XYZ would praise how close it is to gen and the haters would tear it to shreds that its no where near close to gen.

I am quite sure that has already happened in the past. Someone posting pics of a genuine Sub and many people babbling nonsense about misaligned rehauts, poor SEL fitting, wrong crown position, and all that nonsense. I’m afraid it’s endemic and you will have to learn to live with it, lol.

Reactions: Carbon Summit

Spoons

Supporter
Patron
Certified
21/4/19
Vsf > rxf > zzf > arf > tc > jf > noob
Invicta > ginault

Invicta masteer race

Ginault = 50% pagani design

At least the pagani is waterproof unlike ginault or reps

Date Looks weird like on cheapos

Is it a ‘precision chronometer’ with asian movement (handbuilt in america, a village near guangzhou) +-45sec???

Pagani design has better date

Nice watch

Get jf 5 digit
It’s the reason why tc went out of business