• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
I searched and didn't find too much about Ginault watches. I kind of have an itch to try one but would like to hear from Ginault owners how they compare the watch to reps they owned?

Plenty online about Ginault vs Rolex. I'm wondering if a Ginault is worth the extra cost or if a guy is better off getting a rep and having it serviced, etc.

No interest in the "controversy of Ginault" either. Plenty of that online already, just looking for a rep vs Ginault comparison from people who have owned them both.

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
If I were to use it as a true dive watch, i.e. take it to the pool, the water park and the beach, I would take a Ginault over a rep. But then again I use Vostok Amphibias for that.
For the price I think i would rather have a Christopher Ward which I quite like. And then you don't have the Rolex homage association. Although I have to say the Ginauls are quite pretty. Allthough I don't like the "broadsword" hour hand too much.

DutchSUB

Supporter
Certified
30/10/14
[EU] Netherlands
China is still not on the Ginault level. I have the latest VSF 126610 sub and that is maybe on the TC level.
But the OR2 is miles ahead of VSF. I have owned some TC`s and have the v7x. I also had a few Ocean Rovers and the OR2 Black ceramic.
I recently bought a OR1 Date again because i missed it. Also have the OR2 Blue ceramic with date on pre-order since Phase1. Hope they deliver may/june.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
As a person who dealt with many reps and had Ginault's ocean rover 2, my VSFs beat it in terms of quality and finishing. So I disagree with Dutch's assessment. Can't say the same for any other factory though.

Last edited:

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
China is still not on the Ginault level. I have the latest VSF 126610 sub and that is maybe on the TC level.

I'm not sure how you are able to compare a Solid bracelet watch (126610) with an hollow bracelet one (TC). Are you comparing the finishing? Or is it the feeling? Then isn't it subjective?

Also, if as you said the VSF is on TC's level, wouldn't that mean that Ginault is on the level of VSF since Ginault was TC? lol

Last edited:

DutchSUB

Supporter
Certified
30/10/14
[EU] Netherlands
I'm not sure how you are able to compare a Solid bracelet watch (126610) with an hollow bracelet one (TC). Are you comparing the finishing? Or is it the feeling? Then isn't it subjective?

Also, if as you said the VSF is on TC's level, wouldn't that mean that Ginault is on the level of VSF since Ginault was TC? lol

True, its not fair to compare a TC bracelet with the solid bracelet from Ginault. The gen 16610 bracelet also feals cheap in compare with that bracelet.
Ginault has made some steps since they are not TC anymore. With he OR2, the bracelet is improved, the crystal has 3x AR coating (rumours its from prof) they use the 6 digit bezel assembly now (really smooth) And the ceramic insert (The updated one, first batch had problems with the inlay) it is really nice and solid now.
There is no other brand with this value for the money.

Dont get me wrong, the VSF is a really good rep, maybe the best. TC was on top for many years, and VSF nailed it and come close or even. Just wait what we will see in 5+ years, excited.

Reactions: mari115

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Aside from the gen movement I don't see any steps of quality above VSF subs and I have owned both. If you disregard reps then it is probably the best watch you can buy for the money as far as legit watches go though.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
True, its not fair to compare a TC bracelet with the solid bracelet from Ginault. The gen 16610 bracelet also feals cheap in compare with that bracelet.
Ginault has made some steps since they are not TC anymore. With he OR2, the bracelet is improved, the crystal has 3x AR coating (rumours its from prof) they use the 6 digit bezel assembly now (really smooth) And the ceramic insert (The updated one, first batch had problems with the inlay) it is really nice and solid now.
There is no other brand with this value for the money.

Dont get me wrong, the VSF is a really good rep, maybe the best. TC was on top for many years, and VSF nailed it and come close or even. Just wait what we will see in 5+ years, excited.

Same!!!

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Aside from the gen movement I don't see any steps of quality above VSF subs and I have owned both. If you disregard reps then it is probably the best watch you can buy for the money as far as legit watches go though.

The ginault is so over priced. Read their BS description about in house movement ... It's just a low end ETA movement. 1500usd for an eta movement.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
The ginault is so over priced. Read their BS description about in house movement ... It's just a low end ETA movement. 1500usd for an eta movement.

Honestly brand aside there is no legit watch company of their quality for their price range so it's hard to call them overpriced. It's worth the money if you go the legit route. But if you're into reps then a VSF that is 30% of the cost for equal quality makes the Ginault waaaay less of a bargain

Last edited:

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming!

I'm curious how the movement on the Ginault feels compared to a rep when you wind it, for example.

Maybe buying a VSF and getting it serviced makes more sense?

Reactions: T-Rep69

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Out of the box, the Swiss Sellita SW200-1 movement should outperform the Chinese reps due to higher QC standards. Likewise Ginault’s water proofing. On the other hand, it’s expensive for what you get. Personally, a well modded “franken” can be brought up to the same quality standards for about the same price. I don’t understand why anyone would you choose a watch that goes out of its way to look like a rep. If you want an accurate, reliable, waterproof watch, pick up a quartz diver watch from any of a half dozen reliable watchmakers.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Hinclimincli has a Ginault and a decent amount of rep experience...

Indeed. And to this day I am still yet to see a replica with the level of reliability and finishing of the Ginault.

No offense, but if you cannot see the differences is because you are not looking properly or you still don't know where to look.

Case
The case in the Ginault is just flawless. The only difference between a Ginault's case and a 16610 case is that the latter has Rolex engravings between the lugs, just that. The lug size is exactly the same (that slim end of the lug that is so difficult to get right, people like lawlessflyer know what I'm talking about). The beveled chamfers on the side, almost imperceptible but they are there (as opposed to the massive chamfers on other replicas), and of course the inside part of the case. It has the proper grooves on the inner case where the movement goes in, which actually doesn't keep attached with movement tabs but with the two screws that get it stuck to the case when you unscrew them. Even these screws have the same size and form as the original ones in a 16610 movement (not the normal screws you would have in some recent replicas that use this same system). Same goes for the crown guards, bezel, insert, etc. They are just exactly as the genuine. Right now there is not a single replica that gets the case as close as the genuine as the Ginault.

Bracelet
Again, miles above any other replica bracelet. In this case they replicate the 6-digit bracelet with the Glidelock system. The finishing, again, is just flawless, they even got the tiny edges polished as the genuine ones, which makes it more blingy (and of course, that's what we are here for, right?!). And again, what you don't see is also there, the holes where the screws go have all of them a steel sheath so the screw never actually touches the bracelet (thus preventing erosion on the screw holes of the bracelet). Again, this is exactly how the genuine is made. And their Glidelock has really tight tolerances, and really smooth.

Movement
Yeah, you can say whatever but it's way better than the stock Chinese movement you have on a replica. Remember that even Chinese movements have grades, and I can 100% tell you that what you get on a replica is not a proper Seagull or Peacock movement. I actually swapped the A2836 I had on my ZZF v2s with a genuine Seagull ST2100 and it's amazing. Same could be said about the Ginault 2824 clone. Mine has kept COSC timing after two years (going +2s/d usually), and you guys can say whatever but I don't believe any regular A2824/36 or 3135 clone can keep that precision over a long time span. The 2824 clone inside a Ginault is basically the equivalent of a Top Grade ETA 2824 (well at least it behaves the same as the Chronometer Grade ETA 2824 I have on my genuine Tudor). And if you aren't happy with that you can order it with a Top Grade Sellita SW200-1 that will come really well adjusted from them (good luck getting your TD to send you an adjusted caliber).

Dial, hands, all that. Well, it's a TC after all, right? I'm sure everyone knows at this stage that these kensington dials are at the same level as a genuine Rolex one. It's just deep glossy black, really well polished markers, etc. And now onto the price...

...well, that's where 2nd hand market comes in. Or just being lucky. Or just being early. I bought mine for less than $800. That's $300 more than a top level Submariner replica, I get it. It all depends on how much do you value all these little details. I probably wouldn't pay the $1500 retail cost (or maybe I would if they re-released their original 180165C1LN with the normal 5-digit dial instead of the maxi dial, but you never know).

Now I know we all have great photos of all kinds of watches and maybe they don't say anything about the watch, once you are looking into that level of detail. But just tossing Ginault aside as "it's overpriced and my rep is better" is not the wisest move. Here are some photos in case you want to check it out (both with mercedes hands for a transitional 16800 look and sword hands, for a more milsub look, and also with the original blue/gold insert, and a more traditional black insert):

In the end, it's your money. But I don't think the Ginault is overpriced. It's at the same level or better than many genuine (overpriced) Tag Heuers, Longines, Tissot, Breitling and IWC, just to name a few.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hinclimincli what a great review and I agree 100%. These are amazing pieces, I had the opportunity to put a rep dial and hands in one for another forum member and I was totally wowed by the quality of every element. I still want one, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

fgvQE.jpg

Z2kv1E.jpg

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Indeed. And to this day I am still yet to see a replica with the level of reliability and finishing of the Ginault.

ZfrUwK.jpg
ZfrWVv.jpg

Nice one mate, I knew you would have the most valuable take. I've handled one, and it's way better than say, a VSF - it just feels 'right'.

Your 'MilSub' is a peach.

To your point, yes, for me the current MSRP is a little high - I wish I was an early adopter. But the positioning is not terrible when compared with a MKII Nassau - which has availability that would make Rolex blush, and does feel a bit 'reppy'.

Last edited: