• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona, Running the Cosmograph Continuously

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Seriously with the above?

Have YOU got pics to dispute my assertion as it is I, who has initially asked and not you. You prove me incorrect first and then it's my turn.

LOL? Only children post with LOL in 2021.

Keep LOLing as it's me laughing at you.

Don’t need pics: the case of the stray Chinese pubic hair, with a lack of lube (or too much), is well reported by many watchmakers and enthusiasts that have serviced countless China made movements.

Moments are reliable for what they are (replica watch movements) but You mess with the Chronos daily/weekly and you’ll soon enough have a busted watch in need of repair.

A lot has got to do with fragile parts/material grades used in the movements.

Sent from the RWI App

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Seriously with the above?

Have YOU got pics to dispute my assertion as it is I, who has initially asked and not you. You prove me incorrect first and then it's my turn.

LOL? Only children post with LOL in 2021.

Keep LOLing as it's me laughing at you.

Don’t need pics: the case of the stray Chinese pubic hair, with a lack of lube (or too much), is well reported by many watchmakers and enthusiasts that have serviced countless China made movements. It also stands to reason that a precision mechanism that costs £60 wholesale, ain’t gonna have the same level of quality control as gen.

Moments are reliable for what they are (replica watch movements) but You mess with the Chronos daily/weekly and you’ll soon enough have a busted watch in need of repair.

Sent from the RWI App

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
What if the movement was properly serviced first and then letting the chrono hands be continuously running without resetting?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
What if the movement was properly serviced first and then letting the chrono hands be continuously running without resetting?

Chronos are inherently prone to breaking - whether rep or gen - because they are an additional layer of complication. If you leave the chrono running indefinitely, then you are increasing the wear and strain on delicate parts, and increasing the likelihood that the chrono components will fail. Why risk it?

I felt exactly the same way when I got my first Noob Daytona - I wanted to experience the novelty of a fully functional chrono movement. So I ran the chrono a couple of times for extended periods - say, an hour or so. Very shortly after this, the watch stopped working. Ado213 fixed and serviced it for me. Here's what he had to say about the Noob 4130 movement - first, the main problem he found:

"...eventually cracked the 4130, biggest problem was the chrono clutch wheel. Bit of a assembly error at the factory. Plus what looked like a silk thread wrapped around the intermediate wheel."

Then, his verdict on the movement once he'd fixed it and serviced it:

"I can see little reason on the A4130 why the chrono cant be used. it differs considerably in operation to the A7750 as it has a column wheel chrono operation.

It seem the components within are also made of decent material and I haven't seen any obvious week spots in its design. The only one item that concerns me about the A4130 is the clutch wheel on the chrono. it can be a little temperamental. however if its cleaned and oiled properly it functions well.

At least on this movement the Chinese have done something within the escapement that I've been longing to see for a long time. There are no banking pins on this movement, this tells me that they are confident in there pallet jewel setting and the machining of there escape wheel."

So, in theory, it should be fine to run the chrono - continuously should you fancy it - on the Noob, once it's been serviced. But I would still be very inclined to avoid doing so.

VaderTime

9/10/17
Chronos are inherently prone to breaking - whether rep or gen - because they are an additional layer of complication. If you leave the chrono running indefinitely, then you are increasing the wear and strain on delicate parts, and increasing the likelihood that the chrono components will fail. Why risk it?

I felt exactly the same way when I got my first Noob Daytona - I wanted to experience the novelty of a fully functional chrono movement. So I ran the chrono a couple of times for extended periods - say, an hour or so. Very shortly after this, the watch stopped working. Ado213 fixed and serviced it for me. Here's what he had to say about the Noob 4130 movement - first, the main problem he found:

"...eventually cracked the 4130, biggest problem was the chrono clutch wheel. Bit of a assembly error at the factory. Plus what looked like a silk thread wrapped around the intermediate wheel."

Then, his verdict on the movement once he'd fixed it and serviced it:

"I can see little reason on the A4130 why the chrono cant be used. it differs considerably in operation to the A7750 as it has a column wheel chrono operation.

It seem the components within are also made of decent material and I haven't seen any obvious week spots in its design. The only one item that concerns me about the A4130 is the clutch wheel on the chrono. it can be a little temperamental. however if its cleaned and oiled properly it functions well.

At least on this movement the Chinese have done something within the escapement that I've been longing to see for a long time. There are no banking pins on this movement, this tells me that they are confident in there pallet jewel setting and the machining of there escape wheel."

So, in theory, it should be fine to run the chrono - continuously should you fancy it - on the Noob, once it's been serviced. But I would still be very inclined to avoid doing so.

Thank you for the very detailed reply. This is definitely a valuable information on the A4130. Maybe I’ll acquire the next version noob and have the v3 serviced and let the chrono run indefinitely. Then I’ll report back periodically on whether the watch is still ticking or blown up lol.

Voodoojar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/9/15
The main issue with the replica vert clutch module is the internal spring that looks like a snowflake is made out of really thin crappy metal and they deform or simply break with use. This happens more quickly if the movement is dirty or improperly lubricated but is going to happen regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaderTime

9/10/17
The main issue with the replica vert clutch module is the internal spring that looks like a snowflake is made out of really thin crappy metal and they deform or simply break with use. This happens more quickly if the movement is dirty or improperly lubricated but is going to happen regardless.

Interesting. And I’m assuming that there’s no aftermarket vert clutch module or gen or gen fitment issue?

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Don’t need pics: the case of the stray Chinese pubic hair, with a lack of lube (or too much), is well reported by many watchmakers and enthusiasts that have serviced countless China made movements. It also stands to reason that a precision mechanism that costs £60 wholesale, ain’t gonna have the same level of quality control as gen.

Sent from the RWI App
Wow... £60..? May I ask where you got that info from?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Voodoojar

Banned
6/9/15
Interesting. And I’m assuming that there’s no aftermarket vert clutch module or gen or gen fitment issue?

The ones I rebuild I alway replace the clutch module with genuine. while Im there if possible I also like to update the chrono wheel with the uv-liga version and the hammer. Finally if I plan to put genuine hands on the watch I also replace the minute counting wheel to make fitting them easier.

Reactions: saucin

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Put some effort in and check all my posts, I'm clearly not a troll.

Truth is, what I wrote is true & you own it.

I put the effort in and did check. Not a troll but a member with a strong opinion. No bad thing.

Liquid Snake

Known Member
28/2/21
Florida
I have been leaving mine run constantly with no issues. Noob V4. However what gen parts do I need to source for when it breaks? Just the 815 clutch module or do I need some other parts too?

lo1800

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/21
italy
never done continuosly but sometime for 4 days/5 at times and never had problems. to be honest, it quite bothered me and i use now to run it just to make it "run" and let the movement go. i think that not using it ever can cause some problems, on the opposite, but maybe its my idea

Voodoojar

Banned
6/9/15
I have been leaving mine run constantly with no issues. Noob V4. However what gen parts do I need to source for when it breaks? Just the 815 clutch module or do I need some other parts too?

I like to replace the clutch, hammer and new style chrono wheel when Im in there but the only really mandatory part is the clutch.

Voodoojar

Banned
6/9/15

I like to replace the clutch, hammer and new style chrono wheel when Im in there but the only really mandatory part is the clutch.

Liquid Snake

Known Member
28/2/21
Florida

So These are the right parts right? The Clutch Module part 4130-815, the hammer part 4130-880, and chrono wheel part 4130-820. Hmm I suppose I could slowly buy my parts each pay period. Not like I need to jump and buy them all at once. I just want it reliable and won't break on me. But again currently this watch runs pretty well. I would love to buy a balance but for 720 dollars, no thanks.

VaderTime

9/10/17
So These are the right parts right? The Clutch Module part 4130-815, the hammer part 4130-880, and chrono wheel part 4130-820. Hmm I suppose I could slowly buy my parts each pay period. Not like I need to jump and buy them all at once. I just want it reliable and won't break on me. But again currently this watch runs pretty well. I would love to buy a balance but for 720 dollars, no thanks.

I've had my v3 for a year now with normal usage, no service and it's been running fine.