• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob SD43 Sea-Dweller 126600 SA3235 v10 mini-review

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I just picked up this Noob SD43 Sea-Dweller SD43 126600 with the SA3235 movement on a whim. I've had multiple copies of every iteration of the ARF SD43 (v1-3) MkI dial. While I loved certain aspects of the quality, there were always some small and not-so-small detail issues I had with them. With a dearth of real life pics and review info on the Noob version, I thought it would be a fun thing to do for the community.

First off, some general studio pics:

Z79MWi.jpg

Z79wxX.jpg

Z79dII.jpg

The pearl (lume pip) is miles better than my previous ARFs.

Z79kXc.jpg

The inconsistent appearance of the matte black dial is only reflections from the camera. This pic highlights the most important from-five-feet-away difference between the Noob and the ARF: the lume colour. Notice here how all the lume pots are a nice creamy white. Every ARF I've had was skim-milk-blue-white and stuck out like a sore thumb from across a table.

Z79sQb.jpg

Z79ufp.jpg

For me, just about everything about the dial/bezel/crystal is better on the Noob.
Z79725.jpg

Z79EnF.jpg

The HE valve is a better color match than the ARF.

Z79Nut.jpg

Z79fj2.jpg

Hands are very nicely finished. Good hand stack. Minute hand is a little fuzzy on one edge and needs cleaning up.

Now on to the movement:

Z79Gdn.jpg

Z79bWs.jpg

Z79SJ3.jpg

Z79xlY.jpg

Z79JFD.jpg

Z79g6o.jpg

Z79c2k.jpg

I couldn't capture a good lighting shot to show how overall this movement is well finished. It's not a VSF 3235, but it's not far off in terms of finish. Regulation is straight forward. I haven't done a power reserve test. I will run one in the next couple days.

The Matte Dial

These next images in studio lighting help illustrate the nice contrast between the gloss of the ceramic bezel and the matte finish of the dial.

Z7nAF8.jpg

Z7n2lR.jpg

Z7nHJQ.jpg

Z7nhaL.jpg

On the Wrist...

Z7neAK.jpg

Z7n56v.jpg

I think it really looks great in the daylight. Overall I like it on my wrist better than previous ARF versions.

What the pics don't show....

The bracelet finish out of the box was total crap. I could cut myself shaving with the raised center ridge on the clasp surface. I spent several hours with a rotary tool making the edges palatable and let it soak overnight in coconut oil. The end result is certainly wearable, but not to ARF standards. The foldover clasp guard has a very nice gen action to it, though. Probably the only redeeming feature of the bracelet/clasp. Interestingly enough, the clasp code is C4R, normally used by ZZF Subs. Go figure.

I hope this helps some of you SD43 fans who always wondered about an alternative to ARF. The XF/VSF will probably trump both of them, but for now, there's a lot to like about this Noob SD43.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Nice work! Thanks for taking the time. Very nice looking watch.

henryaga

Looking Around
11/5/14
Great post OldNavitimer . Thanks!

I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

Where can this noob be found? I couldn't find it in major sellers...

Have you seen the ARF v4? I have the v3 and I think it is great, even better than the GMF that is highly recommended these days.

I saw that you compared the movement with the VSF 3235, and I would really like to know your opinion about the VSF sea dweller. It will be interesting.

Thanks again for the review!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Great post OldNavitimer . Thanks!

I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

Where can this noob be found? I couldn't find it in major sellers...

Have you seen the ARF v4? I have the v3 and I think it is great, even better than the GMF that is highly recommended these days.

I saw that you compared the movement with the VSF 3235, and I would really like to know your opinion about the VSF sea dweller. It will be interesting.

Thanks again for the review!

Noob are gone. VSF don’t make a Sea Dweller.

XF Sea Dweller v2 is the best version now.