• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona: On the Grid

RPointl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/21
Netherlands
These are good and (imo) beautiful:

This is the QC, I find the numbers ugly, the outline too fat, the inlay is lower than the outline and should be a fraction above it, or at least level.

QWERTY_Bats

Horology Curious
18/2/21
I know I'm going to sounds dumb as fuck, but;

For example the 6239, which is the perfect watch, is it something you can buy via a TD? Is Cartel just a factory or are they modders?

Sorry, having some hard time finding info about Cartel in particular.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I know I'm going to sounds dumb as fuck, but;

For example the 6239, which is the perfect watch, is it something you can buy via a TD? Is Cartel just a factory or are they modders?

Did you do a search?

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/flame-free-zone/158565-what-is-meant-by-cartel

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-watch-general-discussion/266944-cartel

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-watch-general-discussion/113770-cartel

Reactions: QWERTY_Bats

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Yes, you can buy the 6239 from a TD. I mentioned this at the end of my OP on page 1 (and also explain where each of the watches in the OP were sourced, and described the shortcomings of the off-the-peg reps you can buy. That was sort of the point of my post, along with the pics). You can get them from Marvellous Replica via the special offer post in M's TD forum section. That's where I get the new ones I've bought. Other TDs are available.

The historical background to the term "cartel" in the rep watch world is interesting to read about - as referenced by the links deadpan has posted above. But generally these days, when the term is used it's in reference to vintage Rolex watches made by JKF or BP, that are available from a number of TDs. I guess it's incorrectly ascribed to these watches/factories, but it's sort of a catch-all shorthand term for them that seems to be widely used round here.

Last edited:

QWERTY_Bats

Horology Curious
18/2/21
Yes, you can buy the 6239 from a TD. I mentioned this at the end of my OP on page 1 (and also explain where each of the watches in the OP were sourced, and described the shortcomings of the off-the-peg reps you can buy. That was sort of the point of my post, along with the pics). You can get them from Marvellous Replica via the special offer post in M's TD forum section. That's where I get the new ones I've bought. Other TDs are available.

The historical background to the term "cartel" in the rep watch world is interesting to read about - as referenced by the links deadpan has posted above. But generally these days, when the term is used it's in reference to vintage Rolex watches made by JKF or BP, that are available from a number of TDs. I guess it's incorrectly ascribed to these watches/factories, but it's sort of a catch-all shorthand term for them that seems to be widely used round here.

Thanks! I'm not quite familiar with MR so I'll try my luck with my usual TD - Hont.

Amazing collection!

160million

🎰 Rien ne va plus
Certified
14/4/19
Vice City
very nice thread just stumbled upon it!
at some point i am going for a 116523 franken build - when the time comes i make sure to consult you and your knowledge.

andybilsy

Supporter AB
Supporting Vendor
Patron
Certified
I had no idea myself. My kids brought the term home.
And there is of course that never ending "fanny pack" confusion.
None so bad though as my Dutch pal offering my English GFa shag - as in shag tobacco, a roll your own ciggie,"sjekkie...."

We have used the word for years as a term for vomiting