• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice needed on Rolex ceramic bezels

beyondx4

Horology Curious
14/6/10
San Jose, CA
Hello. May I ask forum members with experience working on newer Rolex (or Rolex styled) ceramic bezels. A few years back, there weren't any Rolex GMT Master II 116710 aftermarket parts. Now, I realized there are many items available, such as replacement ceramic bezel inserts, complete ceramic bezel assemblies, bezel gasket, etc. (ie. the bezel gaskets were impossible to find outside of Rolex five years ago). I've worked on many watches, but have yet to modify my 116710LN. Now I'm planning to swap on a complete aftermarket Batman bezel assembly just for fun. Bezel inserts only run for about $50 or so, but I would rather spend $250 on a complete aftermarket bezel than risk breaking the gen ceramic bezel insert. Can someone give me some advice on how to safely lift the bezel off a 116710 GMT Master?

Note: I have made a special tool out of pvc fitting and hose clamp to grasp and remove bezels out of my Planet Ocean and Seamasters (but these Omega bezels are simply locked in by a bezel spring). I then reinstall the bezel with a case press. I'm not sure if the same methods could be used to work on the Rolex ceramic bezels. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here are a few threads you can look at to learn more about rep (and gen) bezel construction. 6 digit Subs and GMTs are now much different from each other than they were in 5 digit models. Removing either 6 digit bezel from the case is done the same way. I recommend using a bezel removal tool made especially for this task. It often wont lift a bezel completely off, but it will get it up high enough and then some to get a good quality smooth edged case knife in there to finish the job.

https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/32...52892557e7b774366b51.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

Noob GMT Pepsi's poor bezel design

Swap crystal on Noob Pepsi

ZZF Sub bezel not flush

beyondx4

Horology Curious
14/6/10
San Jose, CA
Thanks for your response. I tried to search online and information on ceramic GMT and Sub bezels are nonexistent. Anybody who asks for advice on the Rolex forum gets flamed like they've committed a mortal sin. The bezel removal tool above appears to be a copy of the Horotec fixed bezel remover. I read up a bit on this tool and understand the blades are not as hardened like the Horotec, but is it really that bad? I noticed a lot of people complaining of scratching their cases using it; however, I'm not sure exactly the reason why that is. I always make sure to tape up my case and lugs when removing bezels to protect it. If you have experience with this tool, please give me some tips. Thank you.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have a more expensive one of these tools but broke two blades driving them too far into the crystal retaining ring. I bought the cheaper one intending to just scavenge the blades but decided to try it out once. I've used it exclusively since then on a dozen or more bezels. Occasionally it can leave some tiny scars on the underside of the bezel (which can be lightly sanded out) but I nearly always achieve my goal of no marks or scratches on the case or bezel.

I recently took a FG Sub completely apart using the cheap tool and did zero damage to any part. I tape everything up and take it very slow. The key is to know when to quit using the removal tool and switch to the case knife. Extreme care must be used to observe what's happening with bezel gasket (hytrel ring) and make sure it either stays on the retaining ring completely or in the bezel groove completely. You can't always predict where it will stay but if it gets hung between the parts and you continue pulling on it, it damages beyond use very quickly. They are not easily replaced. Most of them have different shapes (different stairstep edge profiles, etc.). TDs won't source them and there is no guarantee any aftermarket or even gen replacements will work.

ZkUYW8.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Another thing about the hytrel rings - you need to know for sure which way it was installed (top-to-bottom orientation) and put it back the same way. Otherwise it will seat but the bezel won't rotate. So you are then faced with removing the bezel again just to swap the hytrel ring orientation. Every time a bezel is removed there is very real risk of scratching or damaging a part or cracking the insert.

beyondx4

Horology Curious
14/6/10
San Jose, CA
Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed tips on the Rolex ceramic bezels and tool. Those are some of the things you could only learn through experience and sometimes have to learn the hard way. One thing I perceived online is to install the hytrel ring into the groove inside the bezel first, then press the whole unit down (rather than slipping the ring on the case side first)?

beyondx4

Horology Curious
14/6/10
San Jose, CA

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm looking in Aliexpress and still debating between the Horotec style tool or the ones listed below. I'm currently using a makeshift version of the Omega tool using a PVC fitting & a hose clamp that I've learned on the internet. If you have any experience with them, please let me know:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001780962827.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.27412e0eed494b

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001000092228.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.27412e0eed494b

Thank you.

I've never had success using any tools like that. The problem with them is you have to exert so much force on them to move most Rolex rep bezels and there's no way to anchor the watch head and still fit the tool over the bezel. So you have to hold the watch in your hand. I like the tool I use and am successful with it so no need to try anything different.

Reactions: processengr

beyondx4

Horology Curious
14/6/10
San Jose, CA
I see. Thank you KJ2020. You've just saved me so much time, money and grief. Just cannot beat experienced watchmakers. I'm just beginning in this hobby. I just serviced my first ETA 2824-2 movement. Looking to improve to the ETA 7750. I have a couple of A7750 reps that are due for service. Good night.

Reactions: KJ2020

processengr

I'm Pretty Popular
16/9/15
Thank you KJ2020! I ordered the one from Ali. Will this work on Omega seamaster bezel as well?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you KJ2020! I ordered the one from Ali. Will this work on Omega seamaster bezel as well?

I can't say firsthand bro, I have limited experience with Omega bezels. There was a recent thread where a member took one off with a case knife, I'll see if I can find it. I never flush my history cache - best search engine ever!