• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

And another ST Build

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I was unexpectedly surprised this evening.. and I'm happy what I saw lol

Yep, another Sub case and some parts. Not sure what this one will be yet but I really do like the quality of these.

Stay tuned folks :cool:

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Well, with the ST cases we all know where one needs to start...lol

yep... the lugs need a slimming and maybe some crown guard work.

In the mean time I received another surprise!

Well I guess the mystery is out and we're set on what "kind" of SUBMARINER this will be :cool:

Stay tuned guys maybe a long one lol

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
The main Shaving the metal is now done. Just need to tweak the rest of it by hand not I haven't touched the crown guards still taped off.

Over all it went well and I'm quite happy with the results, I've done my best not too slim them down too much.

Now for some pictures

And now a comparison picture of a

Gen 16613 VS. start-time reshaped.

Stay tuned more to come ;)

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Nice.

ST quality is very good but the CGs are short and stubby. Have you thought of using an ARF/JF case?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Nice.

ST quality is very good but the CGs are short and stubby. Have you thought of using an ARF/JF case?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Thanks!

yes your right the ST has short guards and lugs but it's not a "Real" bother.. well maybe the crown guards mostly but this case is 100% genuine specification which is to me more important-

from internally and even crown tube fitment is gen spec Fitment is flawless this is my 3rd ST build. I have a Ginault that I franken and is by far (NOT) a gen spec case is not funny and no joking.. 3135 Fitment is boot-legged will not accept gen crown tube (with-out profesional mods) case-back needs replaced with gen spec to clear 3135 movement rotor ect.

So in short that's why the ST case (sorry for the rant) lol

Never handled jf/arf but hear they aren't any better.. well that goes more to the ARF then the JF.. the jf had great potential, the ARF does not.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Welcome back folks did some more tweaking to the case and decided to include some chamfers.

I'm using a new method that seems to be working out great! This is break through technology guys as to NO ONE EVER FOUND ANY ANSWERS ONTO HOW IN THE WORLD TO CREAT CHAMFERS RIGHT AT HOME! ok.. now I'll teach you how..have a look ;)
ZE4eaR.jpg
ZE4AVL.jpg

how was this created you ask?! I've done research on and on and never found any answers but the concept is actually common sense all you'll need is these tools
ZE4UGK.jpg

yep, that simple metal against metal (hard metal) that's why I'm using my pin/spring bar tool it's a durable metal.

So what you do is start slowly shaving the edge like this up and down not much pressure and you'll start to feel it etching into the lug edge
ZE4qz4.jpg

please do note. Make sure to keep that 45° angle against keeping that shape as you stroke away up and down

Like this:
ZE4Okc.jpg

and that's it guys! Give it a try I find it works and looks closest to the genuine example.

here's a couple more in a close-up encounter lol
ZE4YVX.jpg
ZE41ii.jpg

hope everyone is having a joyful day!

Enjoy your weekend guys! Stay tuned for some more content

Like & Subscribe LOL :D

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ZE4qz4.jpg

please do note. Make sure to keep that 45° angle against keeping that shape as you stroke away up and down

Excellent bro, I haven't had a need to do this yet but this looks like a great technique. It's the perfect finishing touch for your case.

It got me thinking - I've had to sand down some inner perimeters on inserts and I even shaved down a fluted bezel on an angle from the inside to fit a gen-spec crystal. Do you think your technique would benefit from using rolled up strips of sandpaper coiled around your tool?

Here's a few shots of what I did.

ZEMGqn.jpg

ZEMFDE.jpg

Reactions: GIG

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Excellent bro, I haven't had a need to do this yet but this looks like a great technique. It's the perfect finishing touch for your case.

It got me thinking - I've had to sand down some inner perimeters on inserts and I even shaved down a fluted bezel on an angle from the inside to fit a gen-spec crystal. Do you think your technique would benefit from using rolled up strips of sandpaper coiled around your tool?

Here's a few shots of what I did.

ZEMGqn.jpg

ZEMFDE.jpg

Yes! I believe it will bro! I actually use one of my dremel circular rock bits and wrap sandpaper around it to work the outer lugs by hand to get the shape.

This technique I'm using somehow shaves metal while against metal a benefit on doing it this way is it actually stays polished rather then the matt finish you'll get from using sand paper.

Reactions: KJ2020

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
No, it should not need any more polishing this is last technique. Also note no pressure is to be added let the metal do it's own thing shaving slowly

I may have to try this on my 5512. Probably will work on a cheaper case first tho. Thanks for the tips

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW

I had to stop because I cannot move my right hand anymore but omg dude this really worked! No need to polish after reshaping either.

What I like most about this method is that it shaves off the metal very subtley. I don't have to worry about messing up the chamfer. Thanks dude.

McPwn

21/9/20
Thanks to lawlessflyer's tips, this is my work done on an ARF 16610 904L case. Slimmed lugs to get rid of the thick stock chamfer and did crown guard work to create an angular facet on the top, and its more symmetrical with the bottom. Used 120 grit to give it a 'brushed' look on the top.

All done with $8 diamond files and a stack of sandpaper.

McPwn

21/9/20
Also, in regard to stubby CG's, noticed on the ARF 16610 that the crown actually sits slightly further out than on Gen, giving the appearance of 'shorter' CG's. To remedy this you can dig out/file down the crown recess deeper, so that the crown sits deeper in the CG's and making them appear longer.

ARF on left

Reactions: sukwonee

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16

I had to stop because I cannot move my right hand anymore but omg dude this really worked! No need to polish after reshaping either.

What I like most about this method is that it shaves off the metal very subtley. I don't have to worry about messing up the chamfer. Thanks dude.

Great job man!! Them chamfers look great!!

Pretty simple upgrade that really dresses up your already amazing tudor sub!

Glad it helped you out man!!

Cheers!

Reactions: sukwonee

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Great job man!! Them chamfers look great!!

Pretty simple upgrade that really dresses up your already amazing tudor sub!

Glad it helped you out man!!

Cheers!

The previous owners of this watch actually refinished the case and ruined some of the chamfer work that Johnny Depp originally did. Your method brought them back somewhat.

My right hand is still numb from all this shaving but I am gonna work on them some more haha. This is great.

If I can do it, anyone can. I am very retarded with tools (along with many things that require hand eye coordinating lol)

Reactions: Perpetual

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Thanks to lawlessflyer's tips, this is my work done on an ARF 16610 904L case. Slimmed lugs to get rid of the thick stock chamfer and did crown guard work to create an angular facet on the top, and its more symmetrical with the bottom. Used 120 grit to give it a 'brushed' look on the top.

All done with $8 diamond files and a stack of sandpaper.

Looking good man glad I could be of some help enjoy that sub!