• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Crystal in VSF 116610LN - worth it?

gherrmann19

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/6/12
Hi! Received my new VSF 116610LN today and am blown away by the quality. I had purchased a Gen crystal and DW for another project and was going to have installed in this watch instead.

After receiving the watch and seeing it in person, I’m questioning if the swap of the crystal and DW are even needed.

If it was yours, would you swap them, or sell to fund another watch?

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
In my opinion the upgrade of genuine Crystal and datewheel on the VSF is no longer worth the money.

I did swap mine but only because I had the parts and the watch was being taken apart to install genuine hands.

The difference is there but it’s very small. To me the datewheel to the naked eye is the same.

The crystal you can see a difference side by side but it’s really small.

On the old sub reps it was a must for me but not anymore.

It’s obviously personal preference whether you do or not but really you’re looking at £500 upgrade for almost no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rehaut19

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/12/20
Tomorrow I ship mine for swipe crystal with gen.

mine is the first batch, and compared to the crystal of the 126610vsf I like it less. However, I believe that the new batches of 116610LN have an even better crystal.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I'm getting a gen crystal installed in mine. If you don't mind the expense it's a nice upgrade.

Reactions: Yogibear

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Sell the gen crystal and get the $$s back. VSF crystal ootb is very good. As another member mentioned, gen is gen. If the crustal has no better use, put it on but you will not notice much of a difference.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
VSF crystals have some distortion whenever the black date font gets reflected by or refracted through one of the vertical edges of the cyclops. A gen crystal should eliminate this. I use a lot of Clark's crystals with AR cyclops and you can't make one of those show a bit of distortion at any viewing angle.

ZTjY11.jpg

It's always Fat 2's day on a VSF.

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
To me, gen crystal is always worth the $$.

It just elevates the amount of joy when staring at your watch in all different angle.

But yes, vsf xtal is pretty damn good for a rep xtal.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Star70

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Definitely go gen. I also use a lot Clark’s for my watches and they are a great cheap alternative if you don’t want to spend a lot on a crystal. I wouldn’t bother with a prof crystal either they are overpriced and the AR coating itself isn’t durable. If your going to spend that much on an aftermarket crystal just go a little extra and go gen it makes the watch.. the cyclops and date feature is one of the first things you look at and appreciate, Unfortunately nothing compares to the gen yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Definitely go gen. I also use a lot Clark’s for my watches and they are a great cheap alternative if you don’t want to spend a lot on a crystal. I wouldn’t bother with a prof crystal either they are overpriced and the AR coating itself isn’t durable. If your going to spend that much on an aftermarket crystal just go a little extra and go gen it makes the watch.. the cyclops and date feature is one of the first things you look at and appreciate, Unfortunately nothing compares to the gen yet

I agree that Clark or Prof crystals won't improve a VSF Sub. Go gen or wear it OOTB.

Reactions: KJ2020

gherrmann19

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/6/12
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I’ll have it swapped since I already have the parts.

Ro13x

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
Certified
10/11/19
Europe
Leave the VSF crystal the watch is very good ootb.
More important is that the alignment ist OK.

Last edited: