• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie looking for help....Watch arrived damaged.

MrAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/1/21
United States
I ordered a ARF GMT II BLNR SH3186 from Ryan at intime, everything went well until the package arrived. upon opening the box i realized something was not right. my new watch was a rattle can. upon further inspection i realized it also was not winding manually. 20-30 turns and nothing, completely dead. At this point i emailed Ryan and received and email from his QC department with instructions to shake the watch 50 times, then try to manually wind it. it started to run but something was no right. there was definitely something loose inside the case. at that point i sent a video to Ryan so he can hear what i was hearing. His response was either send it out to a local watch smith or send it back to him. i opted to send it KATT whom i found on the forum. Today KATT received and inspected it. Turns out the spring clip for the oscillating weight was broken. Here is my problem, i am trying to source one locally and have found some on ebay. would anyone know if the gen clip fit the SH3186? and which is the correct size? they offer 3 sizes 16, 18 & 20 mm. I also noticed it looks like the finish is heavily scratched. Is this type of finish normal or should i just send the watch back and ask for a replacement? i would post a picture but don't know how. any insight would be helpful. I've have never had any issues before when buying reps so this is all new to me.

Spiral_Cabbage

12/2/18
Conus
That is a ridiculously scratched finish. Ugh.
I have a spare clip I can give you if you are in the USA.

if interested, send me a pm.

I would also be trying to find the broken piece also. It could cause a lot of damage if left in the movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: pompompurin

apeta

16/4/20
EU
Just out of curiosity - what did Ryan say about the picture you shared above?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
That movement is shocking. How did that end up in a new watch?

walla65

20/5/19
if the movement has come this way the most serious thing he should do is send you a new one at his expense ...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This autowind assembly just got beat up in transit. This is clear by the damage on other parts aside from the bottom plate. Most of the "scratches" on the module plate are there normally from its grooved finish, it looks worse than it is and anyway scratches won't hurt it or diminish its functionality. The darker areas are likely where excess oil collected and then attracted loose debris, or it could just be from being handled with grimy fingers.

ZtAyc3.jpg

I would be more concerned about damage to the gears and there is some visible wear and spotting to some of them. However I don't see any broken teeth or broken pinions or cracked jewels so it's entirely possible that with a good cleaning and re-lubing this assembly will be just fine. Kudos to RabanJr for offering the replacement clip.

This is not a reason to send a watch back to China, especially right before CNY. In fact, that is something I never do. It would be better to just lay out the money to buy a replacement VR3185 movement and sell the SH3186 for spare parts or for someone looking for a movement to learn on. You'll probably end up doing that anyway.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
BTW there is a little brass plate and a screw that holds the clip in place so those will need to be replaced too if the parts are not found intact in your movement.

ZtLhtk.jpg

Reactions: StreetFighter

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
I have a few spare I can give you one for free ( brass plate. Number 3135 561)

MrAG

20/1/21
United States
Just out of curiosity - what did Ryan say about the picture you shared above?

He has not answered my email. Its been 2 days. I hope i will hear from him tomorrow. What kind of compensation should i expect for something like this. i mean this was shipped DOA.

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
my sh3186 also arrived dead, TD only offered a return and repair so I decided just to buy a vr and swap it in, best decision imo because the movement is miles ahead !

Wish you good luck with your TD, maybe he can support you with a VR3186 for a good price ??

Reactions: KJ2020