• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Confusion around best model for Sub Hulk

TheOne88

Horology Curious
3/10/19
Hi all!

I seem to be getting lost down the rabbit hole when trying to find out what the 'best' rep there is right now for the Submariner Hulk. I've been seeing some conflicting info and getting confused as to what the standout is right now for this watch.

In the super rep NWBIG post, it suggests Rolex Sub 16610 TC as a super rep but I believe there are newer models out? I've also seen threads where they say the reps for the submariner aren't the best and with some being old posts I'm struggling to see what is the most up to date information.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Many consider VSF Hulk (116610LV) to be the best available version. TC doesn't make Hulk.

​​​​​

TheOne88

Horology Curious
3/10/19
Many consider VSF Hulk (116610LV) to be the best available version. TC doesn't make Hulk.

​​​​​

Thanks so much for the quick response! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here but just to confirm I have the right version that I'm looking at - Is it this one?

Submariner 116610 LV Green Ceramic 904L Steel VSF 1:1 Best Edition VS3135

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Thanks so much for the quick response! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here but just to confirm I have the right version that I'm looking at - Is it this one?

Submariner 116610 LV Green Ceramic 904L Steel VSF 1:1 Best Edition VS3135

Sorry your link isn't working. But VSF version is the only one that uses VS3135 movement.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
One thing I would add though is that you will likely have to wait until the Factories are back from the Chinese New Year. Probably sometime in March. They shut down for about a month.

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
The TC16610 was repping the 5-digit sub model and the current gen of rep made by the major factories are the 6-digit (116610 for 40mm, and 126610 for the newer 2020 41mm model).

The 116610 models from many factories are very good and unless you are a vet gen or rep owner, you won’t really be able to tell the flaws. Personally I also have a VSF, but ZF, ARF, Noob, Clean/ZZF, RXF all made very good 116610LN/LV and each have some strengths and weaknesses. You probably want to look at those comparison threads to determine what are more important to you as they all have flaws (e.g. VSF’s rehaut engraving, hands, bracelet are relatively worse than some of the other factories) and you need to decide which flaws you can live with and which are deal breakers if you can spot the difference.

TheOne88

Horology Curious
3/10/19
Thanks for the help guys! Will do my researching with the above in mind

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Kk169 is right.

All Hulks have flaws. You gotta pick one that you can tolerate the best with. One thing I can tell you from personal experience is that I own a VSF 116610LN (Black) and it feels so.... Gen like on your wrist. Not just the detail accuracy but the overall feel and quality. Probably the most gen like rep I have ever handled over 10+ years. Many will tell you the same.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Been on the rep forums for over 10 yrs, the "best" version is very subjective as per previous replies had stated you need choose which flaws you want to settle with.

One thing you might consider is to buy a watch which you know is a good base and franken it with parts from different factories and or with gen to soften or correct the flaws. Say for example, you don't want to get a 2824 version when you want to put a gen dial in. Physically you can but that means you will have to clipped the dial feets off of a gen dial of which if you ever want to sell the dial it loses a bit of value. Or if you want to mod the movement, obviously you can't when a 2824 is not the same as a 3135 so that's out of the question.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: srhoque

TheOne88

Horology Curious
3/10/19
Thanks all! This was very helpful! I have just pulled the trigger and ordered two VSF versions of the Hulk! One for myself and for my dad. Very excited for this!!

apeta

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/4/20
EU
The VSF is an excellent choice when it comes to the 116610LV. As other members suggested above, it really comes down to what flaw you are willing to accept, as all reps do have flaws - heck, even some GENs have small flaws :)
I had a VSF Hulk and was overall very very satisfied with it. Hopefully you and your dad will enjoy it too!

Bigd22

29/8/20
I for one really like my vsf hulk. The dial color seems just a bit off. I wish I had ordered a zf hulk before they were shut down. I think you’ll be very happy with your choice.

GA81

19/3/20
Great choice for the VSF Hulk version! Specially if you take 2 ahahha

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I regard my VSF Hulk to be the best replica I have ever owned over my 18yrs collecting reps. Not only is it the best Submariner 116610 rep that looks and feels gen, everything else about the build is sublime and exactly like my gen - screwing the crown, winding, bezel action, glidelock, clasp action all 101%. I have 2, both LN and LV VSF’s, the LV I must have got very lucky as it is measurably better than my LN in those areas.