• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

White gold plating

cixbuka

Horology Curious
7/8/19
Hello. Just want to ask for recommendation where i can have my datejust fluted bezel plated with whitegold? Thank you for the advise

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Hello. Just want to ask for recommendation where i can have my datejust fluted bezel plated with whitegold? Thank you for the advise

I'm not expert but I think there is no white gold plasting only rhodium/platinum

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida

I'm currently researching this. I've contacted a company who does plating and they'll do a bezel for about $80. It's probably a mix of rhodium cause that's what makes it "White" gold. One member got one. And the difference is night and day. Certainly cheaper than getting a white gold bezel at around $1000, like here https://ewatchparts.com/18k-white-g...-rolex-datejust-2-41mm-116300-116334-wbm51058
Here's a picture of the difference

Reactions: Agloomp

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I'm not expert but I think there is no white gold plasting only rhodium/platinum

Correct. You have to plate a mixture of rhodium and palladium to obtain the white gold color.

To achieve it on steel, as rhodiums sticks only on noble metals, you need to plate the part in yellow gold first.

Reactions: StreetFighter

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Correct. You have to plate a mixture of rhodium and palladium to obtain the white gold color.

To achieve it on steel, as rhodiums sticks only on noble metals, you need to plate the part in yellow gold first.

So it's possible to achieve 18ct white gold rolex color ?

Rhodium is too white/bright Platinum too Grey
Palladium too brownish ?

If you plate yellow gold and then platinum over will it bleed little yellow hue like 18ct white gold ?

Last edited:

MilleMiglia513

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
11/12/20
So it's possible to achieve 18ct white gold rolex color ?

From my understanding, no, however I could be wrong. It’s as follows:

All solid gold is yellow. Gold is then mixed with other metals to create an alloy (14k, 18k, etc). Historically it was mixed with things like bronze to keep, or even enhance, it’s yellow coloring. Rose gold is mixed with copper to achieve that reddish/brown look. And finally white gold is mixed with palladium or platinum and is a grayish-white in its final form (while still retaining its natural yellow undertones in varying degrees depending on its formula).

So, “white” gold does actually exist — however, the majority of used in jewelry settings is then plated with rhodium (as stated above) for that ultra bright flawless look.

Rolex does not plate their white gold in rhodium. Instead, they have a proprietary formula for creating white gold that has a beautiful solid white, cold-grayish finish, with beautiful yellow undertones.

THIS cannot be duplicated without finding/formulating a similar-colored white gold alloy and having a custom case, bracelet, etc made up. But at that cost, you might as well buy a gen.

This is my understanding at least. I researched the topic heavily after falling in love with the Submariner “Smurf”, but not loving the difference of finish in the stainless rep (nor having a spare $50k for the gen hahah).

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
From my understanding, no, however I could be wrong. It’s as follows:

All solid gold is yellow. Gold is then mixed with other metals to create an alloy (14k, 18k, etc). Historically it was mixed with things like bronze to keep, or even enhance, it’s yellow coloring. Rose gold is mixed with copper to achieve that reddish/brown look. And finally white gold is mixed with palladium or platinum and is a grayish-white in its final form (while still retaining its natural yellow undertones in varying degrees depending on its formula).

So, “white” gold does actually exist — however, the majority of used in jewelry settings is then plated with rhodium (as stated above) for that ultra bright flawless look.

Rolex does not plate their white gold in rhodium. Instead, they have a proprietary formula for creating white gold that has a beautiful solid white, cold-grayish finish, with beautiful yellow undertones.

THIS cannot be duplicated without finding/formulating a similar-colored white gold alloy and having a custom case, bracelet, etc made up. But at that cost, you might as well buy a gen.

This is my understanding at least. I researched the topic heavily after falling in love with the Submariner “Smurf”, but not loving the difference of finish in the stainless rep (nor having a spare $50k for the gen hahah).

Correct. You saved me from typing it ahah

In the end, yes it would be possible to achieve something similar. But is it worth it? No, in my opinion. Way too long and pricey operation.

Reactions: MilleMiglia513