• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Showed a Rolex Dealer my Noob V4 Daytona!

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Shit my AD gave me the same book for buying a seiko and looking in the rolex case. I took this picture and he said want the new rolex catalog? Didnt realize the sales catalog was a true to live real coffee table book reserved for serious buyers of yatchmasters that own rep Daytonas.
I feel super special
1175dd86b7be8558c355a42848b7344c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Oh yes, i am sure Rolex is fully aware of us and they are probably lurking among us right now.
I was merely just addressing the risk of unnecessarily further provoking them.

im sure Rolex and the other brands don’t care about us at all, we’re just small fish, in the majority of countries it’s not illegal to buy or own counterfeit goods. it’s the manufacturers and wholesalers they would like to get, but being in China they’re out of reach.

Last edited:

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
im sure Rolex and the other brands don’t care about us at all, we’re just small fish, in the majority of countries it’s not illegal to buy or own counterfeit goods. it’s the manufacturers and wholesalers they would like to get, but being in China they’re out of reach.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that they "don't care" about us. There is so much knowledge and info here that could also be use to their advantage, and we publish a lot of guides that facilitates this hobby.

For example, even my trusted source reported that RSC have occasional blunders in authenticating franken modern and vintage pieces. Fraudsters could learn how to build the near-perfect frankens through forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishpan

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
I have had something like tthat once.

I walked in a AD a fairly long time ago, wearing my old school Casio. The seller didn't even (noticeably) looked at my wrist. But apparently, even only wearing it, made such a big impact, that I got a folder about some various new Casio models. Wicked.

*phun intended*

Sorry, couldn't resit. ;-)
No, it's definitely not okay putting a rep on the counter of in AD. Window shopping? Sure. But don't place stories about your encounter here on the forum.
That said, guys, isn't it a bit harsh to propose to delete the thread and ban Spencer?
He's quite new around here and I'm sure he's got the point now and apparently a few other newbies learned something here as well.

Cheers.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
That's just a 2021 catalogue that they'll give to anyone. And not a "coffee table book" they give to high rollers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Is there an unwritten rule you can't go to an AD wearing a rep?
No. It's written.

If the op was smart, he would have come here posting about how he put the Daytona in his pocket and went in to try on the same model and then pulled the ol' switcheroo and put his rep Daytona in the Rolex box and walked out with a gen Daytona instead of a coffee table sales catalogue.

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
I'm obviously a noob, but what's the issue with going into an AD wearing a rep? I realize it's a rule, but "why" is it a rule?
RWI advocates for the use of reps as responsibly as possible. Yes it's an illegal trade but there's no reason RWI is going to endorse behavior that ultimately has people acting in a way that reflects poorly on other rep owners.

So in other words if you're doing something that would make someone say "that's kinda a shiity thing to do" you shouldn't do it.

Trying to pass off a rep as a gen to an official AD is one of those behaviors.

Hazing

9/5/19
To expand on this, if the AD did realise it was fake are there any proceedings they could initiate (store / chain ban, call the police, confiscate the watch etc etc) or is there nothing they could / would do?

There is no law against owning a rep just buying one and there is zero chance an ad with any kind of brain will call you out, never mind call the police.

First of all there is nothing illegal going on so it would just make the AD look like a Karen.

But let's just say calling him out and saying "this is a rep" is the only option, they would never do it because a lot of people actually do buy reps thinking they're real. So now you want to tell someone who may have spent $17+k on a watch that it's not worth anyway near that.

Chances are the person wearing the rep wouldn't believe him, would take up hours of his time trying to convince each other of some thing he doesn't care about.

Aldo chance are there is really no benefit of him calling you out for the sake of humiliating you unless you're into that. So in my case, I'd probably pay good money to be treated that way.

Also what happens if the ad makes a statement like "it's a rep" and turns out to be wrong? Then he looks like a petty, childish, jerk. A petty childish jerk who can't distinguish their own premium luxury products. It would be embarrassing if incorrect.

Reactions: rwacc

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
This sound like a cool story to post on Reddit. “You dope bro, ad can’t tell fake shit bro, Rolex stealing peoples money brooo.... “ true story is that th AD knows the watch is fake but doesn’t give a shit any way, cause walking into and ad with a fake only tell you’re a loser...

Reactions: rwacc and RonP

christobear

22/10/15
There is no law against owning a rep just buying one and there is zero chance an ad with any kind of brain will call you out, never mind call the police.

There isn’t even a law against buying them, just selling. Unless maybe you’re buying in bulk as it could be argued that your intent is to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spencerswagu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/8/20
OK I get it... how do I delete this post?

OK.... I.get. it. I posted this because I thought it would be a fun thing to share with the community.

You guys had too options:
1. Explain and help me correct the mistake.
or
2. Bash me until you feel good. Virtually everyone chose the latter.

You don't have to ban me. Because after this, why would I both to post photos, a review of a new watch, etc for the benefit of the community?

Is this really culture we want for the forum? It's toy watches, this should be fun.

Signing off,
- Spencer

Hazing

9/5/19
OK.... I.get. it. I posted this because I thought it would be a fun thing to share with the community.

or

You don't have to ban me. Because after this, why would I both to post photos, a review of a new watch, etc for the benefit of the community?

Is this really culture we want for the forum? It's toy watches, this should be fun.

Signing off,
- Spencer

I just want to quote this for posterity.

As for the way people handled it, you wear a rep Rolex and walked into an AD and showed it off. You can't be this much of a snowflake otherwise thank God the associate at the AD didn't call you out.

I'm not sure what you expected though. I'm thinking you thought everyone was going to think you're some sort of big deal doing something no one ever thought about before.

Because no one sat you down like you're in kindergarten and try to explain to to you, don't take offense. They're mostly legitimate posts/points/concerns. Just grow thicker skin. It will come in handy irl too.

But really you can just think of the way everyone reacted as RWIs nurturing and caring way of saying "you did a moronic thing and then bragged about it in a moronic way". But honestly I didn't really think anything was all that harsh ot all that bad at all though. I mean everyone laughed and had a laugh just not in the way you expected. Entirely predictable id like to add. Just not how you thought it would go.

For the culture of the forum, you'll have to ask the owners but I believe the culture they're trying to cultivate generally excludes people who behave in this way. But I can't speak for them. Regardless of the pictures they might post in the future. But I don't know.

Last edited:

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
or
Signing off,
- Spencer

I didn't bash you at least!

In fact, I am friends with a previous buyer of yours, and he shared excellent sales feedback about you when we were talking about our recent purchases.
It was a nice gesture of you to upgrade his shipping without additional charge.

I hope you don't get too put off by this incident as I shall explain. Please understand that members here take it seriously not to wear reps to AD for multiple reasons that were mentioned previously. Hence some members reacted harshly to your post.

As you are relatively new here, I recommend reading the forum guidelines (https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...moderated/51989-the-first-constitution-of-rwi) and various moderator/admin stickies in forum sub-section.

Reps are fun indeed! But we should also abide by the forum rules as well, as we are members here.

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
This sound like a cool story to post on Reddit. “You dope bro, ad can’t tell fake shit bro, Rolex stealing peoples money brooo.... “ true story is that th AD knows the watch is fake but doesn’t give a shit any way, cause walking into and ad with a fake only tell you’re a loser...

AD associates are not allowed to mention anything about replicas but they are very familiar with high end reps and some of associate can spot reps. They are taking this stuff very seriously because there were incidents with people switching rep for gen at ADs.
they prefer when people don’t wear any wrist watches except for iwatch or something similar.

Craig S

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/1/10
Wow, and I thought these were super reps (like genuine, etc etc)!

Priced at approximately 688 dollars and staff at an AD will be able to tell it’s fake? Can’t be that good of a rep, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners

thats exactly what r/watchcirclejerk and r/repwatch is for isn't it?

Reactions: Ecy

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11

or

Signing off,
- Spencer

Calm down junior. You pulled a bonehead move and rightfully caught a lot of shit over it. The only thing worse than passing it off as gen would be selling it as gen. Flaunting your rep at an AD brings more unwanted attention to replica watches and is very disrespectful to the salesman and business who make a living off selling the genuine product. Our hobby is for fun but not for deceiving others. Take your lumps like a big boy.

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
My buddy worked in a number of AD in Asia and he was trained to NOT call reps/fakes out and just play along as if they are gen. Main reason being they don’t really care about what watch YOU wore into their shop, and they only care what THEY want to sell to you (hint: not the R factory SS sports model). Typically ADs aren’t overflowing with customers that they would be too busy to serve any walk-ins. Another reason is that calling someone out, whether if you are right or wrong, is likely to not get his/her business. Their objective is to make you happily part with your hard earn money!