• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Showed a Rolex Dealer my Noob V4 Daytona!

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
It’s against the rules to show off a replica in an AD or other gen forums or any attitude trying “to pass it” as a Gen watch.

Probably the sales man noticed it’s a replica- it’s not that difficult and he didn’t tell you.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I'm obviously a noob, but what's the issue with going into an AD wearing a rep? I realize it's a rule, but "why" is it a rule?

The rule says that if you’ve done it, you don’t come here and brag about it.

4) no stories about reps to AD's, if you do it, we don't want to hear about it. We do not encourage these types of activities.

There’s really no need for a reason to be given - RWI isn’t a democracy. So, have a think about why it could be construed as bad form to go into an AD wearing a counterfeit version of their product.

Last edited:

R0b.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/11/20
maybe it's against the rules of this forum but to me it's kind a funny things to do , just to see how the seller react to
it's just like go to a 5 stars hotel and enter with a shitty car and shitty clothings , it's kind a funny :)

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
maybe it's against the rules of this forum but to me it's kind a funny things to do , just to see how the seller react to
it's just like go to a 5 stars hotel and enter with a shitty car and shitty clothings , it's kind a funny :)

As said before, every salesman will be able to recognize an OOTB replica, probably he thinks that you are a moron and he will be giving you a catalogue and zero chances of getting into a waitlist or a chance of buying one of the hottest models- that will be his reaction.

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K

That’s because you’re a tit and clearly by this post you’re not too bright.

Reactions: KSwatches

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
I wasn’t aware that it was against the rules to do so (and then post about it) but it baffles me how people don’t seem to grasp that it’s both bad etiquette and poor play doing so, it’s not quite the same as having the lads down the pub think you’ve got the genuine deal.

To expand on this, if the AD did realise it was fake are there any proceedings they could initiate (store / chain ban, call the police, confiscate the watch etc etc) or is there nothing they could / would do?

I’ve never worn a rep in an AD, the last time I was in the Rolex one I was wearing a CW C60 GMT and when I placed it on the tray the AD was surprisingly knowledgeable about the brand, I said it was my first watch and he said it was a good choice for an entry point into more luxury watches (it felt night and day different next to the 216570 I tried).

Last edited:

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

Lol, this reminds of invisible millionaires or secret shoppers.

But jokes aside, walking into an AD with a rep could draw unnecessary attention and risk to our hobby.

Although it might not seem like a lot of damage was done in OP's story, the aforesaid forum rule also prevents a larger scale of rep owners from doing the same and further bringing more attention to the AD (and ultimately to Rolex's attention with possible legal retaliation to our hobby).

Also, some AD staffs are quite knowledgeable in distinguishing fakes, but they might choose to play along and/ or act accordingly to the company's guideline.

Last edited:

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Hardly worth bragging about.

Bet the sales guy in the OP has never seen a gen Daytona before. Not exactly the sort of watch you’ll find sitting on a TD shelf.

My wife’s friend works at a TD and said that every other customer comes in with a shitty dhgate watch on their wrist...or words to the effect.

It seems to be a thing with fake watch wearers, outside the forums.

AD workers don’t say anything. As sales people on minimum wage, It’s not their business what property another person has on their wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Hardly worth bragging about.

Bet the sales guy in the OP has never seen a gen Daytona before. Not exactly the sort of watch you’ll find sitting on a TD shelf.

My wife’s friend works at a TD and said that every other customer comes in with a shitty dhgate watch on their wrist...or words to the effect.

It seems to be a thing with fake watch wearers, outside the forums.

AD workers don’t say anything. As sales people on minimum wage, It’s not their business what property another person has on their wrist.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: BIONONE and rayz20

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Lol, this reminds of invisible millionaires or secret shoppers.

But jokes aside, walking into an AD with a rep could draw unnecessary attention and risk to our hobby.

Although it might not seem like a lot of damage was done in OP's story, the aforesaid forum rule also prevents a larger scale of rep owners from doing the same and further bringing more attention to the AD (and ultimately to Rolex's attention with possible legal retaliation to our hobby).

Also, some AD staffs are quite knowledgeable in distinguishing fakes, but they might choose to play along and/ or act accordingly to the company's guideline.

Although I don’t condone the op actions and know the rules, to suggest that Rolex or other brands are not fully aware of the whole rep industry is a bit far fetched, they will know everything about it, probably even who and where the factories are, if anyone can go on YouTube and see videos of a fake watches I’m sure rolex and Their lawyers can, the problem that they have is China is out of their jurisdiction otherwise they would be throwing millions on dollars into shutting them down for good.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
You shouldnt have bragged about it but yes the quality of reps these days are amazing. Highly likely the AD thought it was the real deal without using a loupe on it.

When I was a bit younger my best friend used to work in an AD. I know we make a stink about wearing very high grade reps into the dealer shops but they get literally 1000s of customers walking in with canal st reps all the time. The ADs are used to it.

I think the main thing is that we dont want to attract unwanted attention to this hobby that is why this rule exists. Reps are amazing these days and to the regular sales folk they would 100% believe it was the real thing.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Although I don’t condone the op actions and know the rules, to suggest that Rolex or other brands are not fully aware of the whole rep industry is a bit far fetched, they will know everything about it, probably even who and where the factories are, if anyone can go on YouTube and see videos of a fake watches I’m sure rolex and Their lawyers can, the problem that they have is China is out of their jurisdiction otherwise they would be throwing millions on dollars into shutting them down for good.

Oh yes, i am sure Rolex is fully aware of us and they are probably lurking among us right now.
I was merely just addressing the risk of unnecessarily further provoking them.

Last edited: