• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need your help! I bought a fake 'genuine' 16610

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s a reminder for us to be extra vigilant.

I don’t think that’s a TC.

As stated above, RSC will call it fake if it has a few rep/aftermarket parts.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Think how lucky you were sending it to Rolex, someone else would keep it , or try to sell it later only to get in trouble

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
My guess is the movement will be genuine, I don’t see how any knowledgeable watch smith could be fooled by a rep movement let alone 2.

As others have said it probably just has one or more aftermarket parts on it so Rolex threw their toys out of the pram.

Still luckily you caught it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MolluskMan

Known Member
16/10/20
New York, NY
Rolex honestly is a little insufferable with these sweeping statements... "The addition of non-genuine parts to any Rolex watch renders it a counterfeit"? What, so if you replace a single reversing wheel with an aftermarket one your watch is now counterfeit? Give me a break. Between this and the AD shenanigans, they're drinking their own Kool-Aid a little too heartily.

johloo

Renowned Member
Patron
14/3/17
Well I got the watch and sent it back. Here is the paper work from Rolex.

Would it be possible for your watch guy to pop open the case back and take a pic of the inside / movement? I think that would help narrow down what the counterfeit situation is

Reactions: majwilliams0308

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I'm not for sure on the movement, but when I took it to my guy he pointed out a few things that are usually a tell tale on the movement and said this looked legit. The little info I got on the phone from the AD it sounded like the serial number was placed wrong and not a good number. Ill keep everyone posted.
I don't know where this thread is on this but I just got to this reply.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put a gen movement in it.

I'm sure the dealer (or i like to think they would have) looked at the movement and saw it was real and that is what made them think it was genuine.

A genuine movement covers up a lot of other flaws or mistakes. Especially on an older model. This is entirely just a guess though. But replicas that have gen movements are tough to spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the_don_robinson

20/4/12
Wow interesting read...! Makes me worry about my gen 14060 which I haven't ever had serviced! Sending it in soon but I have had it years now and bought from a reputable seller on Rolex forum but this highlights how careful u need to be

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Wow, this is a really interesting story, thanks for sharing it with us BROGG. It's a valuable warning to those in the market for a gen - you really need to get your "no papers" watch checked out by Rolex (or experts from the leading authority on rep/gen tells... RWI!).

The super-crisp dial print looks like gen to me (possibly TC). But it could be a JF based Franken with gen dial, insert, crown, probably running on a VR3135 with a gen DW, and that's why it fooled everyone till it got to Rolex.

I'm reassured by this story that it's really unlikely I'll ever get called out on any of mine... :)
I've heard these stories before and say guys wear a watch from a grey dealer and wear them for years. Only to send them to Rolex years later for service and hear this exact situation. Which is why I know no one should be silly enough to call someone out.

Reactions: Bill_C

Hazing

9/5/19
Knowing RSC, it could be one or more non-genuine parts on the watch and they will refuse to service it. Could be a Gen movement with an aftermarket case or dial and they won’t touch it. If it was 100% replica like a JF or something, I doubt they would send it back to you.
Sure they would. They have to. Rolex has no authority to confiscate anything. From anyone. Even if it does have their branding on it. I don't know how Swiss laws work but I'm sure they're more evolved than US law.

Especially considering a few people or companies (at least) spent thousands of dollars.

If Rolex confiscated something which then ruined multiple people's chances of getting money back, that would be bad.

RLX5513

Horology Curious
6/6/19
Lucky with the dealer. Normally with the protection from Chrono24 no risk on buyer, I got a few watches there an no issue at all. Last model sent to rolex for service and serviced with no isse, 100% genuine. So let´s cross fingers in next transactions, on top this forum also give us knowledge on replicas which is very useful when you pull the trigger on a gen,

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
A couple points about Rolex and their totalitarian policies:

1) if they receive a watch with “a few aftermarket parts” such as bezel, insert, crystal etc. they will require the counterfeit parts be replaced with genuine, at your expense, and the rep parts are forfeit.

2) did you notice the model number? An LV? Clearly not an LV case.

3) I believe they have been sued for confiscating replica watches. That’s why they need your consent to destroy it.

4) movement will be secured with the correct screws. No reason not to. I never use tabs with a gen/gen-spec movement in a gen/gen spec case. Why would I? The correct screws are far more secure.

5) one detail I always do, is get gen crowns and tubes. Prices are very high now but other than the bezel, this is where you interface with the watch. I want that to feel “right” on my builds. That said I still need to do my new to me seadweller... I haven’t taken it off since getting it!

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Anyone else notice that the paperwork sent back from Rolex says it's an M16610LV instead of LN? Kermits were produced 2000-2009 and this serial number puts it at 2007 according to the serial number lookup tool. Could someone have swapped the insert and worked the crown guards a bit?

Edit: Looks like J!m1 noticed it in his post above mine. I guess I was a little slow :lol:

Last edited:

The Infinite

Horology Curious
26/9/20
Why would it say lv when the watch has a black insert? The lv doesn’t show up on case engrave. Maybe the case is genuine and is from a lv watch?

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
Why would it say lv when the watch has a black insert? The lv doesn’t show up on case engrave. Maybe the case is genuine and is from a lv watch?

No way that case is genuine. Look at the CG’s.

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
No way that case is genuine. Look at the CG’s.

I’ve seen a few gens with over worked cg’s like that over the years. Some jewellers have no clue how to preserve a watch during polishing and finishing! Case, bezel and bracelet are gen for sure on that watch but whether they started life together is another question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ashu2289

I'm Pretty Popular
16/6/13

mate the dial is also LN, so no way this can be a LV or it can be that case serial corresponds to a LV case n watch has LN Dial n Bezel...it could be anything out of place for Rolex n thats y they said its not authentic...only Rolex or the original modding watch smith knows.

I'm happy for OP that he will be getting his money back !!!