• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ROF Factory GMTs - Please share your thoughts

Lili

9/6/20
On an island
No more pics share??

de9e3ff90641801f59e330c9761bab5d.jpg

1802fb4ff760e03d1b7ec17fafee8a0b.jpg

662ec6673799c9c5abccb0ea197d614c.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Doc.77

flying_pig

Horology Curious
16/9/17
Has anybody been able to compare ROF to ARF? I am after a 116710LN; with VRF and Noob out of the picture due to closures and ZZF/Clear not doing LN, this leaves pretty much only ROF and ARF.

It’s for a friend who had his GEN stolen and cannot afford to replace it. He is not into this hobby and won’t go down the route of modifications, so I am trying to figure out what’s best out there OOTB.

ARF seems to have a slight edge on the dial, but I read conflicting opinions. I am also a little concerned about the negative comments on the build quality and overall feel of ROF… Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Has anybody been able to compare ROF to ARF?

ARF has movement problems. I just fixed an SH3186 where the plastic jewel broke off the date finger which kept the date from changing. It happened suddenly while time setting to test the automatic date change.

Zggh55.jpg

Zgg2tF.jpg

ZggANt.jpg

The ROF VR3185 has a metal post on the date finger

ZggUMn.jpg

Also the jump click on the SH3186 is weak and imprecise. I have 5 of these movements on hand, 4 of them have broken jump clicks and are now relegated to my spare parts drawer. They will not be getting fixed.

The ROF movement is the gold standard GMT rep movement. While there have been some accounts of fit and finish issues, mine is without any noticeable flaws. The bezel operation is nice, the crystal is acceptable OOTB, the bracelet, clasp, and case are good. The dial and hands are OK. I like ARF hands better except that in daylight the ARF hands (and dial marker) lume is so shock white that it sticks out in a bad way and looks fake. This was an easy choice for me.

16185233239230.jpg

ROF dials have a more pronounced serif on the L and E in ROLEX. There are some gen dials like this, though I've not seen any on 6 digit GMTs.

The ARF LN insert has been very good since they updated it after the first batches. TD pics of the ROF LN insert look OK but I've not seen any QC pics of those.

Last edited:

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
I got the ROF recently and have to say I am impressed. The bezel colours are better than most/all gen versions, being a clear blue and red, and the transition to the naked eye seems seamless and is no issue. The bracelet is a little on the light side, compared to ARF and Gen Rolexes I have, but not noticeable on the wrist and the AR on the cyclops is weak but that aside it is a very nice watch.

51297430217_a5680b064e_c.jpg

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
I got the ROF recently and have to say I am impressed. The bezel colours are better than most/all gen versions, being a clear blue and red, and the transition to the naked eye seems seamless and is no issue. The bracelet is a little on the light side, compared to ARF and Gen Rolexes I have, but not noticeable on the wrist and the AR on the cyclops is weak but that aside it is a very nice watch.

51297430217_a5680b064e_c.jpg
That crystal is throwing a big shadow at the bottom

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2fast4lust

Mancster

Renowned Member
Certified
27/8/17
I’ve just placed an order with Andrew for an ROF Batman, it’ll eventually be shipped with my CF Pepsi which I’ve accepted. Excited!

Reactions: Doc.77 and KJ2020

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
I’ve just placed an order with Andrew for an ROF Batman, it’ll eventually be shipped with my CF Pepsi which I’ve accepted. Excited!

Interesting. ROF Batman is a rare take, why did you choose it i/o ARF?

Mancster

Renowned Member
Certified
27/8/17
Just to update this thread, here's a couple of pictures of my newly received ROF Batman. I'm really happy with it, looks incredible on the wrist. The bracelet felt a little bit light weight and tinny when I first received it, however a quick soak in some baby oil has sorted that out and it now feels gorgeous. One slight annoyance is the bezel seems to have a little bit of play, not the end of the world but it often moves slightly left or right on it's own which bugs me. I'm talking millimetres here and it doesn't ever click onto the next position, it just moves a few mm either side of it's current position. Anyway, here's the pictures

Mancster

Renowned Member
Certified
27/8/17
I'll do some comparison shots with my CF Pepsi when I get a few minutes. I was worried that the crystal wouldn't be great on the ROF but KJ said he was really impressed with his crystal so that's why I opted for it over the VRF and other models. I've compared the ROF to the CF Pepsi and have to say the crystals on both appear to be exceptional to me. I have also had them both side by side with my VSF 116610 LN and LV, the ROF crystal looks just as good as those to me. Really enjoying this one

Reactions: KJ2020 and Doc.77

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'll do some comparison shots with my CF Pepsi when I get a few minutes. I was worried that the crystal wouldn't be great on the ROF but KJ said he was really impressed with his crystal so that's why I opted for it over the VRF and other models. I've compared the ROF to the CF Pepsi and have to say the crystals on both appear to be exceptional to me. I have also had them both side by side with my VSF 116610 LN and LV, the ROF crystal looks just as good as those to me. Really enjoying this one

There's a whole lot to be said for being content with a stock crystal.

16276834356103.jpg

Reactions: cpd2186