• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Noob Submariner 126610LN with A2824

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I ordered the Noob 126610LN from Trusty Time on 26 December and it arrived today. It was a smooth experience and shipping was lightning fast: from China to my doorstep in AUS in 4 days.

The offerings from VSF and GRNF were considered, but I'm not overly impressed with the VS3135 (I have the VSF 116610 and its movement hasn't performed very well), and the GRNF has printing alignment issues on the dial (from the photos I've seen on TD sites), as well as a fair bit of play with the bracelet between the lugs, from what I've read. I was pretty impressed with the Noob photos and I like the A2824/2836 movements; I've had half a dozen reps with those movements and they've all been reliable. So, that's what I went with.

The dimensions and shape of the former 6-digit Submariner has always been my preferences over the 5, as I like the wider lugs and larger CGs, so I wasn't sure I'd love the new reference on my wrist. But, I do. The tapered lugs and a slightly wider bracelet and clasp are subtle but signficant improvements, in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of the SD43 and wear it a lot, and that's greatly because of the wider bracelet. This new Sub feels more like that on my wrist than the 11X reference.

Anyway, a handful of pictures to follow, and then some observations so far.

ZnOe35.jpg

ZnOmCn.jpg

ZnYlX2.jpg

ZnOrmW.jpg

ZnOILs.jpg

ZnOiiE.jpg

In general, Noob has done a pretty good job with this. As you can see from these pics, all the main things look pretty good. I'm particularly impressed with the crystal; it's nice and clear (comparison shot next to the VSF further down) and the cyclops has no blue tint to it at all.

The lume is decent. A bit of a mismatch between the hands and dial markers, which is more obvious in the flesh.

Znyo6Y.jpg

The rehaut engraving is about as good as any of the other main players. It's not perfect and probably never will be.

ZnOhLi.jpg

ZnO28b.jpg

Here are some crystal comparison shots next to the VSF. Unfortunately, the photos aren't the best.

ZnYQqt.jpg

ZnOZV4.jpg

ZnOHGX.jpg

A shot to illustrate the wider clasp.

ZnOziI.jpg

And one more from straigh on, to show the insert, crystal, hands and black hole.

ZnIGpQ.jpg

My observations, which are mostly about the mechanics, are as follows.

What's Bad:
  • The bezel rocks a lot, which has been a constant issue with every Noob Sub I've ever owned. (Pic showing this is at the bottom of the post.)
  • The glidelock is absolute shit. Trying to make adjustments is really difficual and it feels like it's going to break each time.
  • Removing and re-appying the case back is very difficult. The threading is terrible and grinds like a MF. Repeated attempts are required to get it to thread evenly.
  • The hands have a rough finish and there's quite a lot of lume on the outer edges. But, of course that isn't visible to the naked eye.
  • Winding the movement via the crown feels and sounds like sandpaper.
What's Good:
  • The bezel has zero replay (left to right). Once it clicks into place, it doesn't move.
  • Unscrewing and screwing in the crown is nice and smooth with the tube.
  • The bracelet has zero play where the SELs join the lugs, neither up and down or side to side.
  • The Clasp snaps shut beautifully, both parts.
Here's a pic to show why the bezel rocks. It doesn't feel like it's about to pop off, so I won't do anything about it unless it gets worse.

ZnOprR.jpg

All in all, I'm a big fan of this reference and mostly happy with the rep I've received, especially as it was well under $500 USD. If Noob put a bit more focus on build quality, I'd be ordering their 126610LV today, but now I'll be holding out a bit longer to see what happens with the other factories.

Cheers.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Great review! In your opinion, how is the overall feel compared to the VSF? (not the mechanics but the quality of the materials used and the looks of it).
​​​
One other question is, isn't this model also supposed to have the blue AR hue similar to the 116610?
​​​
My friend finally received the Noob Kermit that I helped order for the friend of the friend (lol I know it's complicated). I will try to get the friend of the friend to take some pics for me when he can get to it as well.

Last edited:

glee79

9/3/17
What was the issue with you other VFS movment?

"(I have the VSF 116610 and its movement hasn't performed very well),"

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
sukwonee the edge of the bracelet links are a little more rounded (less sharp) on the VSF, but the Noob is still pretty good. Other than that, and what I highlighted above, I can't really see or feel any difference with materials. But, I am comparing it with a VSF 116610, not a 12x.

With regard to the cyclops AR tint, I'm not 100per cent sure. I don't recall seeing pics with a blue hue. The VSF 126610 post here doesn't show blue hue in the images, and neither does this review of the gen LV. I can't see any blue hue here, either. I'm sure someone will confirm...

Reactions: sukwonee

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
What was the issue with you other VFS movment?

"(I have the VSF 116610 and its movement hasn't performed very well),"

Any adjustment to the regulator arm throws it way out, and I'm talking any adjustment at all. And I'm using a timegrapher. It mostly shows two lines close together on the timegrapher, but a couple of times every 30 seconds or so, the lines break and random dots display a good 2-3 cm apart. However, the beat error is fine. I think there may be some gunk in the moment somewhere causing it, so it'll go off for a service shortly. Aside from that, there's an obvious vibration (you can feel and hear it) when I shake my wrist or hand (e.g., when you want to adjust your watch position on the wrist, or when you shake your hands to dry them). I think the rotor plate may need to be removed and reseated.

Reactions: rufus7

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
sukwonee the edge of the bracelet links are a little more rounded (less sharp) on the VSF, but the Noob is still pretty good. Other than that, and what I highlighted above, I can't really see or feel any difference with materials. But, I am comparing it with a VSF 116610, not a 12x.

With regard to the cyclops AR tint, I'm not 100per cent sure. I don't recall seeing pics with a blue hue. The VSF 126610 post here doesn't show blue hue in the images, and neither does this review of the gen LV. I can't see any blue hue here, either. I'm sure someone will confirm...

Thank you for the explanation.

Also, visually from the pictures, the height from the bottom of the bezel to the top of the crystal seems lower (or shorter) than the VSF 116610. Am I seeing this correctly?

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Thank you for the explanation.

Also, visually from the pictures, the height from the bottom of the bezel to the top of the crystal seems lower (or shorter) than the VSF 116610. Am I seeing this correctly?

Just got the VSF out and compared with the Noob, and I can't see any difference between the two. I don't have any calipers, so can's say for certain.

Reactions: sukwonee

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice review and pics bro. How is the date change, instant or slow? PT lists this as a 2824 also.

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
Sorry to say I handled both Noob and VSF.
For me the VSF is the better 126610.
0e74fa6687c535a41bb61c1b24926be4.jpg

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

scottwoerner

Horology Curious
16/12/20
United States
Thanks for the review, I've got a 126610LV VSF coming.

Out of curiosity, what is the weight difference between the VSF and the Noob? Nothing in your review or pictures makes me question construction, I've always had an interest in seeing the weight difference between two reps.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Sorry to say I handled both Noob and VSF.
For me the VSF is the better 126610.
0e74fa6687c535a41bb61c1b24926be4.jpg

I have no doubt the VSF is better. I'm just waiting for the movement issues to be ironed out. And, from what I've read, the bracelet needs to be corrected. Then I'll be willing to spend the money on it.

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
I have no doubt the VSF is better. I'm just waiting for the movement issues to be ironed out. And, from what I've read, the bracelet needs to be corrected. Then I'll be willing to spend the money on it.
The bracelet is well done on VSF!
Movement we will see!????

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Thanks for the review, I've got a 126610LV VSF coming.

Out of curiosity, what is the weight difference between the VSF and the Noob?

The Noob is 151 gms with all links. Not sure about the VSF 126610.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
The Noob is 151 gms with all links. Not sure about the VSF 126610.

I thought the VSF 126610 bracelet was the wrong size, or tapered incorrectly. I must've been mistaken.

W220

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/21
Lancaster MA
I daily a V12 Noob… ???? love it …. Will buy more once the factory ish is figured out

W220

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/21
Lancaster MA
I daily a V12 Noob… ???? love it …. Will buy more once the factory ish is figured out