• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buy GEN + REP Airking 116900 ?

JJOSEILLE

Horology Curious
21/5/17
Dear all,

A Rolex AD called me as they received an Airking 116900 for me (4 months wait). I have not bought it yet.
I love the watch on the wrist but I also see it as a future highly desirable collectible watch when it gets discontinued sooner or later. It’s so different from the other Rolex... i would like to keep it in my GEN collection unworn in its box. To understand where i come from, i bought a Sub hulk years ago when nobody wanted them 7500€ lol....

In the meantime, I have ordered a Rep 116900 BP v2 from trusty. I have just approved the QC pics.

My question is: Is it dumb wearing the rep for the pleasure and keeping the gen immaculate in my safe for my collection ? Is it something you guys ever did ?
Curious to know your opinions as fellow watch and rep enthusiasts !

I will post pics when the watch arrives

regards

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
4 months for an air king?

That is nuts. With the way Rolex is asking Ads to update their stores and displays, I just don't get it. Why do you make an AD invest money in a store with empty display cases. This is just ridiculous.

The first Rolex I bough was an air king and I loved it but it was an impulse purchase. What Rolex is doing is absolutely ridiculous.

Even the OPs have been on wait list only. What's left? Certain DJ36 dials? The last time I went to an ad (prepandemic) all they had was a sold gold GMT and 1 OP and a few Datejusts. But they had 2 cases full of cellini models.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
its not dumb. ive heard a number of people do that. its a little silly/strange, but its all what you care to do.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I know many Hermes handbag owners do this. They buy the gen Birkin and buy a fake one for like... 1600 USD (ridiculously expensive) and just wear the fake one around.

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
Wearing replicas is something that we all do. So It doesn't matter if you have the gen at home or not. It's just the question if you're going to pretend it's a gen (which I wouldn't do)