• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/17
EU
I use all of my sub reps vsf/clean(and other factories in past) for showers, sauna and whatever i want. I have never had an issue.
If you check the gaskets and close the caseback properly it's same as gen water resistance.
If you want to be 100% sure you can also check the crystal gasket but it's usually fine.
Vsf/clean has the same construction as gen indeed you can fit all gen parts on it.
You don't use the rep under water when it comes straight from the factory because 99% times they have loose casaback.
Once you check everything don't be shy, hit the water!

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
I use all of my sub reps vsf/clean(and other factories in past) for showers, sauna and whatever i want. I have never had an issue.
If you check the gaskets and close the caseback properly it's same as gen water resistance.
If you want to be 100% sure you can also check the crystal gasket but it's usually fine.
Vsf/clean has the same construction as gen indeed you can fit all gen parts on it.
You don't use the rep under water when it comes straight from the factory because 99% times they have loose casaback.
Once you check everything don't be shy, hit the water!

I hope you will realize the quality of the gaskets between the reps and the gens are different, and this is a fact with no secrets.
Sometimes having the same constructions doesn't mean it has the same performance. Dimension tolerance between the parts come together plays a big part particularly when it comes to water resistance.
Just some sharing of my thoughts, no offence at all. Enjoy

Reactions: Tijdwijzer and AG91

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/17
EU
I hope you will realize the quality of the gaskets between the reps and the gens are different, and this is a fact with no secrets.
Sometimes having the same constructions doesn't mean it has the same performance. Dimension tolerance between the parts come together plays a big part particularly when it comes to water resistance.
Just some sharing of my thoughts, no offence at all. Enjoy

No offence.
I'll go on wearing all of my watches wherever i want after the checks described above.
Cheers

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I too have had zero issues with water and my CF 116610. It's submerged twice daily, sometime more - just need to make sure you execute the appropriate testing prior to playing in the water.

Really loving the 116610, more than when I had my VSF. I have noticed the crown guards and lugs are a tad fatter than gen, that being said you really dont notice it unless you have the two together.

Usually the date and crystal are a weak point, but honestly this ones so good.

My gen and rep side by side.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-29-at-2-30-12-PM.png

IMG-7648.jpg

IMG-7648.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: diamant

Alex22

12/2/18
I am evaluating the 114060 CF, do you think it is still a good option? I don't like the shoulder straps that are too big a little but I don't think they are very noticeable on the wrist.

Uhr70

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/13
USA
I am evaluating the 114060 CF, do you think it is still a good option? I don't like the shoulder straps that are too big a little but I don't think they are very noticeable on the wrist.

I'm in the same boat, honestly cannot get past the wrong crown guard shape :cryingbadly:

Last edited:

AG91

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/22
Hi everyone! I know there are some new sub cleans out there with updated crown guards and better crystal. Is there a comparison of these with the gen?
Jtime

Reactions: Anaanis

Octagon77

5/6/09
Based on this thread it seems the current VSF bracelet is better than the Clean bracelet? Want to buy one specifically interested in the bracelet quality as I plan to also use the bracelet on another watch at times (16610)

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Based on this thread it seems the current VSF bracelet is better than the Clean bracelet? Want to buy one specifically interested in the bracelet quality as I plan to also use the bracelet on another watch at times (16610)

Plz note the bracelets of 16, 116 and 126 Subs are different, both in terms of the clasps, lug size and SEL's

Octagon77

5/6/09
Plz note the bracelets of 16, 116 and 126 Subs are different, both in terms of the clasps, lug size and SEL's

From what I understand the 116610 and 16610 bracelets are compatible - based on peoples experience with gen bracelets and gen 16610 on other forums. Not sure if its the same in the rep world, but I assume so! Only one way to find out..

silver_alpha

7/1/15
Unsure if this was answered somewhere in this thread, but does the new Clean Factory Submariner have the same 40.5mm diameter as the gen? Or is it 41mm? I know it's not noticeable, but interested with this info for guidance.

Reactions: Anaanis

EkaSN

Known Member
23/7/15
I just took receipt of a CF 116610 LN and I have to say having handled the VSF Sub for a few months (in relation to my gen 116618) - The CF Sub to me looks much more "believable" than the VSF. The VSF at an un-modded state I found had a poor pearl, questionable hour hand and rough date disc.

This CF Sub has very good dates, fairly good rehaut and excellent insert. My only negative would be the CF bracelet, I dont think the bracelet and clasp feel as rigid as my gen (still good though). I therefore mounted my VSF bracelet (which imo is an upgrade over CF) and the watch feels tight. Not sure what people dont like about the CF crystal, looks perfectly fine next to my gen. I need to further study the SEL fitment, so far it looks good but I may mix and match between CF and VSF to see which ones give me a more consistant reveal between the case lugs and endlinks.

I've got two references to a photo below - the one that doesn't preview on Tapa will open (hi res) on your desktop.

IMG-7528.jpg

IMG-7528.jpg
Hi, thank you for the review.
I got one because of your review.
But as I got it, I notice that the pearl color quite different with the hour marker lume color.
The pearl color more yellowish than the hour marker.
Am I right?