• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

halo3

Known Member
1/5/21
Btw you might find these helpful for your Bluesy... I have a gen bluesy and I use these to protect the gold centre links. I think even more so they would be very good on reps since you really want to protect the thin coating.

https://www.esquirelife.com/shop/

He's a great guy called Ruben, very friendly and tell him a guy called James sent you if you contact him via email, likely to throw in extras for free :p (don't mention reps though!)

Out of interest are the endlinks? The sides coated, that use to be a problem with the Blusey clones of old.

Does putting these film protective strips over the plating protect it from fading?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Does putting these film protective strips over the plating protect it from fading?
Probably not. I doubt they have any UV protection rating - or they'd shout about it in their marketing.

I'm replying because I'm currently looking into the options for protective film for my VSF FG bluesy. It was an M2M purchase still in plastics, and because it's totally pristine I've found that I'm now too protective of its perfect finish, and don't want to wear it!

So either I stop being a pussy and treat it like an ordinary watch, or I buy some plastic film and cover its lovely unscratched surfaces. Or I sell it on...

Last edited:
Reactions: halo3

halo3

Known Member
1/5/21
Probably not. I doubt they have any UV protection rating - or they'd shout about it in their marketing.

I'm replying because I'm currently looking into the options for protective film for my VSF FG bluesy. It was an M2M purchase still in plastics, and because it's totally pristine I've found that I'm now too protective of its perfect finish, and don't want to wear it!

So either I stop being a pussy and treat it like an ordinary watch, or I buy some plastic film and cover its lovely unscratched surfaces. Or I sell it on...

Yeah, I agree with you. I hope we can find a solution because I really want some gold watches but am afraid that theyll fade. So far I've found this on amazon but havent tried it. Maybe it works? But I'd assume it leaves a thick coating on top. Only other option is to buy a gold wrapped and take care of it, but i dont think factories wrap anymore, ive always wanted a BP wrapped day date 40mm
https://www.amazon.com/ProtectaClear-Clear-Protective-Coating-Metal/dp/B01MR9FH70?th=1

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Yeah, I agree with you. I hope we can find a solution because I really want some gold watches but am afraid that theyll fade.
I’m really not concerned about fading, if anything the “gold” will tarnish and go brassy rather than fade. If fade or tarnish is your concern then I’d suggest you look into getting the watch properly plated by one of the experts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
I’m really not concerned about fading, if anything the “gold” will tarnish and go brassy rather than fade. If fade or tarnish is your concern then I’d suggest you look into getting the watch properly plated by one of the experts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who can provide the plating service in RWI? Cheers

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20

I was quite happy with this , if you apply correct almost invisible

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

I was quite happy with this , if you apply correct almost invisible
Yeah, trying to decide whether to go that route or take the KJ2020 economy approach and cut up a $5 phone screen guard. I'm all for the cheap option whenever I can get away with it...

EDIT: Well sod it, I decided not to go the cheapskate route, and I've ordered the kit sold by the swarthy Esquire gentleman linked above. I'll make a review post of it once it arrives. Should be a laugh as I'll probably manage to set fire to my 116618 while attempting to apply it.

Last edited:

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
Yeah, trying to decide whether to go that route or take the KJ2020 economy approach and cut up a $5 phone screen guard. I'm all for the cheap option whenever I can get away with it...

EDIT: Well sod it, I decided not to go the cheapskate route, and I've ordered the kit sold by the swarthy Esquire gentleman linked above. I'll make a review post of it once it arrives. Should be a laugh as I'll probably manage to set fire to my 116618 while attempting to apply it.
my first attempt was poor because I didn't look how to do it, lucky they send two sets , second attempt was good , It arrives after 6days to Uk, waiting for your review

shabbaranks21

Patron
Certified
19/10/17
jlcSEi.jpg

jlcGrX.jpg

jlcb3b.jpg

just approved this

Reactions: Tobel