• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

No more complaining about ZF/VSF/ARF/ZZF hand finishing...

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Pretty sure that thing was opened and improperly handled by an amateur ir just a sloppy watchmaker. No way a new Rollie's leaving the factory like that. That story stinks BS from afar. His channel has several of this type of whiny videos, it's all a show.

Last edited:

mistermagoo

9/8/17
That video just highlights what most of us already know about R Factory quality control though some of those flaws in the video are on the extreme end of things. Too much emphasis and over-analysis is put on minor "flaws" in reps that can only be seen by using a loupe.

Last edited:

tjdilla

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/12
Pretty sure that thing was opened and improperly handled by an amateur ir just a sloppy watchmaker. No way a new Rollie's leaving the factory like that. That story stinks BS from afar. His channel has several of this type of whiny videos, it's all a show.

No idea if its all a show or what but i personally would agree that i think this has been opened. Given Rolex machine manufacture so much of their stuff i just dont see how something like this is even possible.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Lol you guys are in denial. My cyclops on my gen DJ was misaligned from new. I've seen gen Subs with worse SELs than people reject a rep for on this forum. The point of this post is that many of the flaws people nitpick about on the Rolex reps in this forum are no better or in this case worse than they are from Rolex themselves. If you want haute horology finish, get an AP, a VC, a JLC or a Patek Philippe because a Rolex is exactly what you would expect for a 4 grand watch, nothing more. Just don't go and be snobby to a Grand Seiko or Holy Trinity owner or they might just get their loupe out to school you like a child.

Last edited:

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Lol you guys are in denial. My cyclops on my gen DJ was misaligned from new. I've seen gen Subs with worse SELs than people reject a rep for on this forum. The point of this post is that many of the flaws people nitpick about on the Rolex reps in this forum are no better or in this case worse than they are from Rolex themselves. If you want haute horology finish, get an AP, a VC, a JLC or a Patek Philippe because a Rolex is exactly what you would expect for a 4 grand watch, nothing more. Just don't go and be snobby to a Grand Seiko or Holy Trinity owner or they might just get their loupe out to school you like a child.

Dude you sound so salty.... Point me to the Rolex owner who hurt you.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
The watch is definitely NOT brand new, it's been definitely opened and taken apart before.

I've seen plenty crooked rolex watches coming out of RF, but NONE will get greenlighted with those scratches or dust on dial and markers, the watch in the video has definitely been taken apart by a random watchsmith.

A rolex coming out of factory will most likely have misaligned rehaut, insert, hands, cyclops, bad sels, but there is no way in hell that those parts could be that crooked out of the factory

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Dude you sound so salty.... Point me to the Rolex owner who hurt you.

I'm not salty at all! I love my Rolex watches, and I wouldn't swap my Datejust for any other watch in the world, but the genuine article does not always stand up to the scrutiny under macro members are expecting on a rep costing one tenth of the investment. That's the only point I'm making.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I'm not salty at all! I love my Rolex watches, and I wouldn't swap my Datejust for any other watch in the world, but the genuine article does not always stand up to the scrutiny under macro members are expecting on a rep costing one tenth of the investment. That's the only point I'm making.

Fair enough but I do feel like the creator of the video is not so truthful. We're talking about a very advanced facility these Rolex watches are made in. Would he have his 10k plus followers if the title of his videos were "amazing Rolex datejust" ? You can see his type of fan base in the comments section. They are everywhere anything luxurious is being scrutinized because it makes them feel better.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Fair enough but I do feel like the creator of the video is not so truthful. We're talking about a very advanced facility these Rolex watches are made in. Would he have his 10k plus followers if the title of his videos were "amazing Rolex datejust" ? You can see his type of fan base in the comments section. They are everywhere anything luxurious is being scrutinized because it makes them feel better.

I've been following this guy for a while and most of his videos are very complementary of Rolex. He gives a Vacheron overseas 5500V chocolate dial a bit of a beating on quality control in another video and whilst it's nothing like as bad as this OP, for a watch costing the best part of 20 thousand dollars I'd expect perfection too. I can't stand the click bait crowd and I don't get the impression this is one of those reviewers. He also, however, isn't Tim Mosso for whom every watch is a hard 10/10 and suitable for anyone with a 3cm wrist or bigger :D. That said I still love Tim for his ridiculous level of knowledge!

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Yeah agree with what others are saying. This has been taken apart by an amateur.

Rolex do have misaligned rehaut, date uneven SEL but that’s all because it’s within tolerance.

That handset just wouldn’t leave Rolex that it’s badly damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yogibear

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I've been following this guy for a while and most of his videos are very complementary of Rolex. He gives a Vacheron overseas 5500V chocolate dial a bit of a beating on quality control in another video and whilst it's nothing like as bad as this OP, for a watch costing the best part of 20 thousand dollars I'd expect perfection too. I can't stand the click bait crowd and I don't get the impression this is one of those reviewers. He also, however, isn't Tim Mosso for whom every watch is a hard 10/10 and suitable for anyone with a 3cm wrist or bigger :D. That said I still love Tim for his ridiculous level of knowledge!

I really like vacheron, I gotta see that one lol.

exia78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/14

Dude you are so brain washed by marketing. R factory is known for have tiny fuck ups here and there. It's just that Rolex owners (most of them) don't go crazy on inspection when they buy from AD. So a lot of them don't even know the defects that are within their watches.

Reactions: GottaHave

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I don't believe that watch is untouched factory issue. Gen Rolexes haven't sunk that low, yet. I've replaced hands on reps that looked better than those.

Reactions: m5smg2

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Hafiz has other detailed vids showing similar imperfections with marred hands and dial dust on Sub and Explorer.

We forget Rolex is a high volume luxury maker cranking out 800k watches annually.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Can't say if this Rolex has been taken apart or not but I believe this model was released this year or maybe in late 2019? Why would you open a Rolex if it's only 1 week - 1,5 years you way ask yourself?

This guy makes the best, inspiring and honest watch reviews I've seen on youtube by the way.

Showing the models from many different views and not just the wrist.

Last edited:

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Can't say if this Rolex has been taken apart or not but I believe this model was released this year or maybe in late 2019? Why would you open a Rolex if it's only 1 week - 1,5 years you way ask yourself?

Right!?

AJ82

Known Member
19/3/17
Europe

You should watch some more videos on his channel. Quite good and this is not typically a headline.

Reactions: GottaHave

Hama

Horology Curious
27/12/20
GER
quite honestly I wouldn‘t be surprised by rolex QCs

however this really seems too much