• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Rep: VSF VS3135 movement stops (Submariner 116619LB). What options do I have?

petethai

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/11/20
So got my very first rep watch from VSF and have to say I was very impressed with the look and feel.

Unfortunately, the excitement over discovering the Rep market did not last long, as the movement has stopped twice now since I received it 2 days ago. Yes, I have check the winding issue with the VS3135 movement (have to fast wind it), but even if fully charged and wearing the watch, it still stops. So now basically I own a beautiful Rep, that only has one issue.. it can not keep and tell time. Kind of sucks :-(

When the watch stops, winding it does not help get it started. Only way to get it started is hit it hard on the side multiple times. What could be wrong? As being new to this, then what do I do in a situation like this?

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rel

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Sorry to hear about this Merry. Try sourcing a vr3135 and have it transplanted to bring it back to life. Gl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petethai

29/11/20
Sorry to hear about this Merry. Try sourcing a vr3135 and have it transplanted to bring it back to life. Gl

Is it possible to buy another more stable movement (like ETA) and have some watch guy replace it? Or does the replacement have to be a VR3135?

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Is it possible to buy another more stable movement (like ETA) and have some watch guy replace it? Or does the replacement have to be a VR3135?

If it had a clone mov you are more likely to try and repair it or replace with 3135.

Reactions: petethai

rcom440

10/11/12
USA

stick to vr3135. It could be very easy fix - it could be as simple as dirt in the movement to hand getting stuck on the crystal.
Send it for service.

Reactions: Yogibear

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Tell your TD, they may be able to offer a solution.

I’d look into servicing before I looked into replacing the movement. It could be such a trivial thing, easily fixed.

Last edited:

Millerm

27/10/17
Likely a small foreign body stopping the movement, maybe a movement retainer clip.

I would start just removing the case back, maybe it is visible or will just fall out.

petethai

29/11/20
Just had it serviced. The watch guy thought it might needed to be oiled. Anyway, now excited to see if it holds up or stops again.

Reactions: BOSSK

petethai

29/11/20
^ how did you get it serviced so quick? Are you married to a watch smith?!

Lots of small watch service places, where I live. Not sure how good he was at servicing it, but the watch is still running for now :)

petethai

29/11/20
^ how did you get it serviced so quick? Are you married to a watch smith?!

Lots of small watch service places, where I live. Not sure how good he was at servicing it, but the watch is still running for now :)

petethai

29/11/20
That's quick, my guy would take about 4 weeks! :steel:

Well I guess one of the benefits of living in Thailand :)

Actually the "service" did work. I have no idea of what he did, besides giving it some oil, I guess. But the watch has run fine since yesterday.

Reactions: saucin

petethai

29/11/20
Update: Unfortunately the service did not work after all. Watch stop again and I finally found out that it is once the seconds hand hits the hour hand at a certain time. Seems will need a watch fixer again :-(

https://file.re/2021/01/15/img2906/

Reactions: Rel

Eseips

5/4/16
Update: Unfortunately the service did not work after all. Watch stop again and I finally found out that it is once the seconds hand hits the hour hand at a certain time. Seems will need a watch fixer again :-(

Seems like your "service-guy" managed to bend the hands when he pressed them on the pin holding them. Probably he indeed serviced the movement (the problem shouldn´t be there) but it´s just the hand being blocked by the hour hand, thus stopping the movement and putting tension on it.

If you feel comfortable trying it out yourself, here´s what you do (not complicated and it´s not rocket science): So you open the caseback.
--> take out the crown stem. there is a little push button. Just google which one to press, it´s simple. take a toothpick, preferably plastic. take off the rotor (an other little push-pin) then take out the movement and simply place it on a little leather pouch or any dust-free surface for that matter, best case a movement holder. crown stem back in, stop the Movement.
--> simply take a plastic or wooden toothpick and bend a bit on the hands, check from the side if they are all nicely horizontal and don´t touch each other.
That should resolve the problem.

If you don´t feel comfortable just give it back to watch repair and tell them the hands are bent a bit. The Movement should be fine, I bet it´s really just the hands.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

It's funny. I just found this thread and after reading the initial post, I wS going to suggest looking at the hands to see if they're the cause.

I recently had a watch serviced that had this very issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Millerm

27/10/17
Shouldn't have this issue if it was actually serviced and hands refitted by someone who has any idea what they are doing. I suggest finding another watchmaker.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

cosmo25

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
12/1/21
I guess it helps to find a reputable watchsmith!