• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KJ2020 paint mod

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ROF GMT with a Molotow flood fill. These markers are pretty good OOTB but I wanted to help hide the slight border joints, and make them a little brighter in low light.

ZuyBOX.jpg

Zuytjc.jpg

Zuy8vI.jpg

Zuy664.jpg

ZuYkZL.jpg

ProGamer73061

Renowned Member
14/1/19
Germany
Nice work, soon my vrf gmt blro will arrive. Do you know if I can remove the speedbumps with Molotov mod?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: RBB224

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice work, soon my vrf gmt blro will arrive. Do you know if I can remove the speedbumps with Molotov mod?

VRF Max insert is the same as the ROF so if you are getting a new VRF, you can achieve results like I showed above. The earlier V1 VRF inserts are not the same.

Reactions: ProGamer73061

ProGamer73061

Renowned Member
14/1/19
Germany
VRF Max insert is the same as the ROF so if you are getting a new VRF, you can achieve results like I showed above. The earlier V1 VRF inserts are not the same.

Thank you. Can i post a QC if they arrives? To identify

Manuel.b

Renowned Member
15/1/21
Italia
What do you think of this "molotow mod" paint marker?
It's recommended for touching up car paint, it's certainly a stronger paint than acrylic (molotow), but then it's more complicated to remove this excess paint on the bezel of the Watch?
Or is this colour as good as the molotow colour?
KJ2020 what do you think?
ZvSorL.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What do you think of this "molotow mod" paint marker?
It's recommended for touching up car paint, it's certainly a stronger paint than acrylic (molotow), but then it's more complicated to remove this excess paint on the bezel of the Watch?
Or is this colour as good as the molotow colour?
KJ2020 what do you think?
ZvSorL.jpg

Never tried car paint bro, but spray paint is enamel so what you show there would not be any harder to remove. Use a razor blade first then some kind of thinner.

I would be more concerned about how it has to be applied and how uniformly it dries. Will pen strokes be visible, etc.

Reactions: Manuel.b

Manuel.b

Renowned Member
15/1/21
Italia
Never tried car paint bro, but spray paint is enamel so what you show there would not be any harder to remove. Use a razor blade first then some kind of thinner.

I would be more concerned about how it has to be applied and how uniformly it dries. Will pen strokes be visible, etc.

I think it is better if I continue to use your tried and tested method with "molotow".

Reactions: KJ2020

Alex_oz

Known Member
8/10/20
Hey guys, how do you waterproof your mods? I mean I've tried Molotow and Posca, and both tend to come off or become uneven if the watch gets wet (dish washing, hand washing or smthng). I removed the Molotow out of my bezel with nail polish remover and toothpick, but i just wanna make it a longlasting mod LOL

Manuel.b

Renowned Member
15/1/21
Italia
Hey guys, how do you waterproof your mods? I mean I've tried Molotow and Posca, and both tend to come off or become uneven if the watch gets wet (dish washing, hand washing or smthng). I removed the Molotow out of my bezel with nail polish remover and toothpick, but i just wanna make it a longlasting mod LOL

I also had the same problem with durability.
I've thought about using car paint or even nail varnish, but I don't know if I'll damage the ring nut with that kind of paint, but it certainly lasts a lot longer than acrylic paint.

Reactions: Alex_oz

Cooly27

Horology Curious
5/6/20
ROF GMT with a Molotow flood fill. These markers are pretty good OOTB but I wanted to help hide the slight border joints, and make them a little brighter in low light.

ZuyBOX.jpg

Zuytjc.jpg

Zuy8vI.jpg

Zuy664.jpg

ZuYkZL.jpg

Hey KJ2020, did you leave the insert with the watch or was this taken apart? I want to do the flood fill on my VRF MAX but I don't have the tools to take the insert apart.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hey KJ2020, did you leave the insert with the watch or was this taken apart? I want to do the flood fill on my VRF MAX but I don't have the tools to take the insert apart.

You can do the flood fill mod with the insert still on the watch bro. If you are careful, there is hardly any wiping to do at all. The VRF/ROF markers are so deep, just fill them to level, let them dry a little, fill them again and done.

mrln

25/11/20
EU

I have now ordered one of those posca pens too and have also no tools to lever down the bezel. Will tape the bezel slightly and then do the paint job. I think that is enough to minimize the rest potential of fucking up something. :)

Reactions: Manuel.b

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
I have now ordered one of those posca pens too and have also no tools to lever down the bezel. Will tape the bezel slightly and then do the paint job. I think that is enough to minimize the rest potential of fucking up something. :)
Wouldn't worry too much. It is pretty forgiving - basically doesn't stick at all on the glass or bezel insert, only on the engraved bits.

I would say though, that I thought the posca pen paint was OK but left an uneven finish that I was never completely happy with. In the end I got hold of some molotow paint and that worked great. It's almost unbelievable how even the final finish looks.

Reactions: Manuel.b and KJ2020

mrln

25/11/20
EU
First, because the master of DIY paintjob wrote this:

Lately I've been using a Posca pen instead of the Molotow pen, it seems to dry more uniformly in the marker cutouts. Plus it can go directly onto the markers from pen. Molotow seems better when applied with a tiny brush, to keep it from getting clumpy.

And secondly, the Posca was easier for me to get and has the narrower tip. I thought that would make it even easier! :)

Last edited:

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Massive kudos to KJ2020 for his help

I had successfully revived a dull noob daytona ceramic bezel with the posca flood technique

Incredibly effective and stupidly easy.

I'm taking it to a slightly higher level now mixing silver and white on the plastic mat and then flood with the help of a superfine brush

AASoliman

Known Member
1/6/20
California
Massive kudos to KJ2020 for his help

I had successfully revived a dull noob daytona ceramic bezel with the posca flood technique

Incredibly effective and stupidly easy.

I'm taking it to a slightly higher level now mixing silver and white on the plastic mat and then flood with the help of a superfine brush

Make sure to update us when its done!

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Make sure to update us when its done!

you see I didnt take a photo before and after so it would not be of great use showing it how it is now; the main point we should consider and take back here is that this is an inexpensive but highly effective solution.

I spent :

$2 for uniposca silver
$2 for uniposca white
$3 for superfine detailing brush
$5 for a box of 100 individually sealed alcohol (isopropyl 70%) swabs

and the results are stellar, you can't see any lump or defect or anything..it seems perfect to my bare eyes - i dont have nor would use a loupe anyway. Where in dim light it was an almost black bezel, it is now a very luminous, legible bezel.

Furthermore the process is extremely quick (20-30 minutes) and you can just go few rounds of floods (i'm at 4 altogether) without noticing lumps or uneven spots.

Anyway here's an indoor (sunlight from the open windows) shot

Next one I do I'll try to be more detail-oriented. And yes I regret having paid so much money for a CF bezel for another daytona I have. (not that CF is worse, it's just FOR ME I would be more than happy with the posca flood bezel)