• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KJ2020 paint mod

Doglover

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/20
Has anyone done the molotow paint mod on the rxf insert? The numbers do seem to disappear at time on mine but I saw a few pics of gens that seemed to have the same issue. I’d like a brighter bezel but I’m also thinking if this is gen like then I don’t want to mess with it. Thank you all for any advice!
2b21d556ef5160b981392e75cb62cfbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I haven't done a paint mod on my RXF Sub yet bro. I probably will end up doing one. From what I've observed, the RXF insert markers do appear more dull in low light than the gen. I like the markers to be brighter and more visible in all lighting conditions and that is usually achieved on rep inserts only by doing a paint mod.

16075430169361.jpg

Doglover

17/4/20
I haven't done a paint mod on my RXF Sub yet bro. I probably will end up doing one. From what I've observed, the RXF insert markers do appear more dull in low light than the gen. I like the markers to be brighter and more visible in all lighting conditions and that is usually achieved on rep inserts only by doing a paint mod.

16075430169361.jpg

Thank you for all the information you provide bud! I tried googling low light gen bezels and it was slim pickings. Honestly didn’t know if that was gen like. I was going to message you directly bc after reading your initial post about the mod I discovered you also had a rxf. Thank you for answering. My paint marker will be here tomorrow so I’ll post some pics! Again thanks for all the information you provide here!

Reactions: KJ2020

Doglover

17/4/20
What paint marker will you be using?

The molotow 227 I believe is the color. If you search “molotow bezel mod rwi” on google it will bring you to kjs thread with exact numbers for color

Reactions: shel504

nikefit

Known Member
16/1/12
apart from the bezel paint in low light, i just received my rxf and wow that cyclops man.. i just hope that the insert paint will not flake, does anyone know whether it is the clean factory insert since vsf is using clean?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here are some links to paint mods. I've experimented with a bunch of different ways. If the insert is off the watch, I usually will do a spray paint mod. I've also used pilworx mod on metal bezels like explorers, it works well for me on those. Lately I've been using a Posca pen instead of the Molotow pen, it seems to dry more uniformly in the marker cutouts. Plus it can go directly onto the markers from pen. Molotow seems better when applied with a tiny brush, to keep it from getting clumpy. I've also used Laquer model paints from Mr Color for gold markers, those are good paints.

https://www.amazon.com/Posca-Acrylic...667547&sr=8-12

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...zing-procedure

Ceramic insert paint mod

My Molotow Cocktail

Last edited:

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
apart from the bezel paint in low light, i just received my rxf and wow that cyclops man.. i just hope that the insert paint will not flake, does anyone know whether it is the clean factory insert since vsf is using clean?

they are using clean insert just on ther LV, the LN is their own insert

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
Has anyone done the molotow paint mod on the rxf insert? The numbers do seem to disappear at time on mine but I saw a few pics of gens that seemed to have the same issue. I’d like a brighter bezel but I’m also thinking if this is gen like then I don’t want to mess with it. Thank you all for any advice!

I'm thinking the same. It seems fairly typical of all sub reps seeing other low light photos (and even gen as you say). But difficult to compare as it varies so much depending on light. The RXF insert numbers really sparkle but they do sometimes seem a bit dim in low light (again, this might be typical with gen - I've not seen one in low light). In comparison a NOOB insert numbers are much more 'white' and doesn't quite have the metallic look the RXF does, but the digits are more visible in dim light.

I've been experimenting with the posca silver pen as suggested above. I'm applying it to the NOOB insert and first impressions are good. The colour really works - I thought it would be too silver when I saw it but the relatively thin font means it doesn't come across so vivid. One issue is that applying directly from the pen leads to quite uneven finish. Good news is that soap and water removed it in no time (only touch dry). Have ordered some detailing brushes and going to try again. Once I'm happy with the NOOB I'll decide whether to do the RXF.

Reactions: Doglover

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm thinking the same. It seems fairly typical of all sub reps seeing other low light photos (and even gen as you say). But difficult to compare as it varies so much depending on light. The RXF insert numbers really sparkle but they do sometimes seem a bit dim in low light (again, this might be typical with gen - I've not seen one in low light). In comparison a NOOB insert numbers are much more 'white' and doesn't quite have the metallic look the RXF does, but the digits are more visible in dim light.

I've been experimenting with the posca silver pen as suggested above. I'm applying it to the NOOB insert and first impressions are good. The colour really works - I thought it would be too silver when I saw it but the relatively thin font means it doesn't come across so vivid. One issue is that applying directly from the pen leads to quite uneven finish. Good news is that soap and water removed it in no time (only touch dry). Have ordered some detailing brushes and going to try again. Once I'm happy with the NOOB I'll decide whether to do the RXF.

When applying the paint from the Posca pen, tap the dispenser tip into and around the marker cutout so the paint flows freely to fill the cutout and spillover some. Don't try to paint with the tip. Let the pool of paint dry completely, then I do an second coat. Let it sit overnight. Then I use an alcohol dampened Zeiss lens wipe pulled taut over a finger to swipe away the excess. Very easy mod that leaves paint perfectly smooth in the cutouts.

Wet
ZYJXVY.jpg

Dry
ZYJPY3.jpg

Wiped
ZYJTks.jpg

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
This is really useful, thanks. First try was very much testing the water. I guess I was more 'painting' with the pen as this seemed the logical approach. I was going to go for a several thin coats approach next but you've convinced me to follow this approach - essentially a (couple of) thick 'flooded' coats? I suppose the key is how much to allow into the cutout, but luckily it is forgiving so I'll get a few goes if needed.

Last edited:

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
When applying the paint from the Posca pen, tap the dispenser tip into and around the marker cutout so the paint flows freely to fill the cutout and spillover some. Don't try to paint with the tip. Let the pool of paint dry completely, then I do an second coat. Let it sit overnight. Then I use an alcohol dampened Zeiss lens wipe pulled taut over a finger to swipe away the excess. Very easy mod that leaves paint perfectly smooth in the cutouts.

Wet
ZYJXVY.jpg

Dry
ZYJPY3.jpg

Wiped
ZYJTks.jpg

Looks really good

Reactions: Neo_7 and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
essentially a (couple of) thick 'flooded' coats? I suppose the key is how much to allow into the cutout

Fill up the cutouts bro, they can have a bulbous arc of overfill like a snow cone. Let them dry a few minutes and do it again. On a GMT insert with so many cutouts I just go around the ring twice nonstop. On a Sub insert I wait a few minutes between coats. After all the paint is applied it's important to let it thoroughly dry before wiping it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doglover

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Are paint mods still required these days? I used to do this mod on my V7/V8 Noob but the new sub I got from VSF is superb. I dont think this is required with the newer bezels. In low light conditions its immensely better than the old Noobs already. I assume the ZZFv3s and any other maker using the clean factory bezels dont need them anymore either.

Noob ones were the worst back then which required this mod.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Are paint mods still required these days? I used to do this mod on my V7/V8 Noob but the new sub I got from VSF is superb. I dont think this is required with the newer bezels. In low light conditions its immensely better than the old Noobs already. I assume the ZZFv3s and any other maker using the clean factory bezels dont need them anymore either.

Noob ones were the worst back then which required this mod.

CF inserts are better but in time I think they will need some touching up too. Several members (and myself also) are already talking about paint modding new RXF inserts. And there have been multiple instances of ARF GMT insert paint fill failures. I even seen some Spongebob inserts that needed touching up so I don't think rep inserts are ever going to be bulletproof.

A big factor in keeping inserts looking good longer is keeping them clean and dry, especially away from salt or chlorine water. I never intentionally get my reps wet, and I don't use my bezels as a fidget spinner. I have many reps with paint mods a couple years old now that still look great. This ARF SD43 is almost 3 years old, was paint modded soon after purchase and hasn't been touched up since.

15335603848621.jpg

Last edited:

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
Following the very helpful advice of KJ2020 I'm happy with this (applied to the NOOB V8S). It's difficult to capture the effect in photos and before/after almost impossible unless you can control the external light and camera exposure (I tried, but even the position of the watch was changing the illumination of indices). Here is the result (top shows before).

69b7dcc4e25168b08b8587e569d885b9.jpg

Probably a more interesting comparison is side by side with RXF (before there was not a big difference), the modified indices in the V8S are brighter:

a30614579cd018c58f182908f10a8c0a.jpg

In the hand the modified indices also suffer much less from subtle changes in light. With the RXF (and the pre modded Noob) you can almost make them disappear (indoor, incandescent light) by moving the watch to a specific angle. Not so with the modified bezel on the V8S.

I'm going to remove and reapply to try and get a slightly more even application, but I do think it will make its way to the RXF once I'm happy with the technique.

ben_a34

Known Member
30/7/20
The silver posca pen certainly seems waterproof once dry - electric toothbrush plus soap and water were no match. Rubbing alcohol and the electric toothbrush quicky removed it though. Interestingly, after the cleanup the insert digits in the V8S seemed brighter than I remembered. So... I decided I'd try the alcohol treatment on the RXF. I'd tried soap and water before to no success, but was a bit wary of removing the factory paint so didn't try anything stronger. The result is really good. Think I'm going to stick with this for the time being.

Before (left is v8s + paint, right stock rxf:

db0f71811d997279b600a8bb4cfdcc06.jpg

After cleaning both with alcohol + electric toothbrush (same order):

ccc107809f43c791daec41610bc12e04.jpg

Both photos taken in a room without direct natural light (only an LED light, 40W equivalent at a guess).

Really shines now as soon as you get any direct light (down/spot lights) or natural light (even UK, where it's going dark already at 2pm):

cc68175c7f3804780603770af774e6e7.jpg

Last edited: