• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KJ2020 paint mod

emdeevee

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/13
Southern California
I know exactly what you mean! I love those hand holding videos on YouTube that show you how to replace a light bulb or a Flux Capacitor! I just tried this for the first time on loose inserts, but I'm scared to death to do it on a mounted insert!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

sidicino

Horology Curious
18/12/19
I have a clean factory gmt masterII Batman with ceramic bezel. I’d like to do the suggested mod with molotow marker and so I bought a metallic silver marker 1,5 mm. If I understood correctly I have to fill directly inside but my question is: if the bezel’ll get dirty with the silver colour how can I polish the bezel itself?

LongyUK

Supporter
Certified
9/3/21
I tried the Molotow paint mod on a Clean pepsi bezel i have that is not installed. It looks ok and its amazing hoe the paint 'sucks' into the numerals etc. The arrow is the hardest bit to get right.

That being said it doesn't ever seem to dry. A week later if I press my thumb onto a number i get a molotow outline on my thumb. Clearly this will have no longevity so is kind of pointless

@KJ2020 As the bezel is off the watch i imagine the spray paint method would be best? Is it easy enough to remove the dried paint from the remainder of the bezel when done? I imagine the paint wont adhere to the smooth ceramic?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I wonder if something has changed with the paint pen? I've used Molotow for years without this issue. Strange!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I tried the Molotow paint mod on a Clean pepsi bezel i have that is not installed. It looks ok and its amazing hoe the paint 'sucks' into the numerals etc. The arrow is the hardest bit to get right.

That being said it doesn't ever seem to dry. A week later if I press my thumb onto a number i get a molotow outline on my thumb. Clearly this will have no longevity so is kind of pointless

@KJ2020 As the bezel is off the watch i imagine the spray paint method would be best? Is it easy enough to remove the dried paint from the remainder of the bezel when done? I imagine the paint wont adhere to the smooth ceramic?

Indeed that is strange. If you are never going back to stock (I can't tell if it can be salvaged to original state), I would clean it with acetone. Put it in a shallow metal pan and pour acetone into the markers and brush them with an old toothbrush. Once all the old marker fill that is going to come off is out, rinse with alchohol. After it dries try the Molotow again. If it won't dry maybe you have a bad pen batch.

Spray painting is certainly a viable method I have several done that way. It's easy to remove from the ceramic, either with a razor blade or with thinner on a cloth just like with Molotow and alcohol. Krylon Brilliant Aluminum works for me, YMMV.

Some links with more info

The Hulktimate - GREEN goes GOLD!

Ceramic insert paint mod

Last edited:
Reactions: LongyUK

Verl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
26/1/22
I had the exact same problem with the molotow pen when I tried it

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I had the exact same problem with the molotow pen when I tried it
It may he having a reaction or interaction with the existing marker fill. Either that or it's a bad batch / new formula but I think that is less likely. It's just water based acrylic paint.

The previous marker fill can be dug out with a strong sharpened needle in a pin vise if it won't come out with acetone. I've done this a bunch of times either because the fill was glossy white and the Molotow wouldn't stick or because the fill was too full in the cutout and there was no room for more paint.

ZQDTCo.jpg

ZQDPik.jpg

ZQDwrW.jpg

ZQDkLP.jpg

Last edited: