• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 126610 Submariner with VS3235 Latest Movement 72 Hours Power Reserve

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Folks, I have one of these on the way and am feeling a little nervy about movement reliability reading some of the later posts. Are folks getting these serviced on day 1 or is it a case of only those with ones that have developed issues are posting about them?

I have two and I examined the balance jewels which are properly lubricated. I can’t speak for the rest of the movement but I assume it’s properly lubricated as well. Obviously getting it serviced is always a good idea but personally I would use it and enjoy it. As for reliability it is a solid movement and like any other watch, if it breaks you fix it.

Reactions: Richarris

Liscon

Horology Curious
21/11/19
Are there any members in the forum who live in the UK and could service this movement. I think taking it to your local watchmaker could be a little tricky ????

Richarris

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/21
I found reference to one in Stockport via a forum post who seems mod friendly and that's just round corner from me. John Vass Watchmaker. Might help?

Debellum

Old and Famous
Patron
29/6/12
Italy
Hi Bad Boys
Before opening a Thread on the Sale Forum section , I wanted to ask you if anyone owns a VSF 116613. I'm very very interested.
I would exchange mine for the Rolesor version at same price , without calculating the expenses I had with my watchmaker.
Please only PM , then just in case , I'll open a 3D on the forum reserved 4 the buyer.
I don't sell it because it has flaws or anything else , but only because I prefer the Rolesor version.
My trusted watchmaker will confirm everything.
Let me know via PM. You will have a perfect VSF 126610LN..... :)

Regard

Junio M.

Reactions: recan1ze

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Hi Bad Boys
Before opening a Thread on the Sale Forum section , I wanted to ask you if anyone owns a VSF 116613. I'm very very interested.
I would exchange mine for the Rolesor version at same price , without calculating the expenses I had with my watchmaker.
Please only PM , then just in case , I'll open a 3D on the forum reserved 4 the buyer.
I don't sell it because it has flaws or anything else , but only because I prefer the Rolesor version.

Regard

Junio M.

You should post it in want to buy thread of Trade section.

recan1ze

9/1/17
Germany
Hi Bad Boys

Regard

Junio M.

why u get a new one from a TD? :)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Jayalvin777

I found out the cause of the winding issue on the VS3235 and it's not the yoke for sliding gear. While working on mine, the yoke quit engaging and I noticed a post was popping up through the train bridge nearby.

ZTSgxK.jpg

This post contains the crown wheel and on the VS3235 (probably gen also) the post has a very thin washer built in on it that has a curved bend in it like a dial washer. It appears this washer is meant to push down on the post, driving it away from the underside of the train bridge. When it fails to do this, the crown wheel disengages from the intermediate crown wheel (right under the yoke for sliding gear) and this is what interrupts the manual winding capability.

ZT0jQ1.jpg

ZT0ZUv.jpg

The 3135 is designed differently. It has a separate winding bridge from the train bridge, and the crown wheel is screwed directly into the underside of the winding bridge. IDK why the 3235 crown wheel isn't fixed in height - I can see no reason for it not to be, the 3135 crown wheel is fixed in height with a solid spacer called the crown wheel core. They probably just copied the gen design but that rep washer is crazy thin and cheap - worthless and causing these winding issues.

ZT0hsc.jpg

ZT0KnI.jpg

As a proof of concept, I inserted a 27 guage wire "clip" (0.361mm) onto the 3235 crown wheel post under the thin curved washer and the issue is resolved. I needed to be able to wind the movement to work on it, so I'm leaving it in for now. I'll replace that clip with a similar height spacer of some kind, maybe a nylon or SS washer with a cutout to allow for placement around the post.

ZT0zfj.jpg

ZT0Hh4.jpg

Reps are so much fun to fix, ha.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, there is undoubtedly a reason for the crown wheel to be able to disengage from the intermediate crown wheel on the gen or it wouldn't have been made that way. Some kind of safety measure in the event of some other conditions. It wouldn't be to prevent over-winding I believe, or we all would have noticed the difference between winding a fully wound spring and not engaging the ratchet wheel at all. In any case, on the rep once that cheap washer starts to fail at its task there really isn't a better solution than to add a spacer and fix the crown wheel in place.

Last edited:

Spoons

Supporter
Certified
21/4/19
I found out the cause of the winding issue on the VS3235 and it's not the yoke for sliding gear. While working on mine, the yoke quit engaging and I noticed a post was popping up through the train bridge nearby.

Great contribution as always, sir.

Reactions: KJ2020

Btadl1997

12/2/18
Well guys, looks like VSF is having QC issues with there crystals (or maybe something else). I received mine today and the crystal is totally trashed with scratches and dust under crystal. https://imgur.com/a/KyJEd3X

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Picasso74

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
2/6/20
Italy Pordenone
Jayalvin777

ZTSgxK.jpg

This post contains the crown wheel and on the VS3235 (probably gen also) the post has a very thin washer built in on it that has a curved bend in it like a dial washer. It appears this washer is meant to push down on the post, driving it away from the underside of the train bridge. When it fails to do this, the crown wheel disengages from the intermediate crown wheel (right under the yoke for sliding gear) and this is what interrupts the manual winding capability.

ZT0jQ1.jpg

ZT0ZUv.jpg

The 3135 is designed differently. It has a separate winding bridge from the train bridge, and the crown wheel is screwed directly into the underside of the winding bridge. IDK why the 3235 crown wheel isn't fixed in height - I can see no reason for it not to be, the 3135 crown wheel is fixed in height with a solid spacer called the crown wheel core. They probably just copied the gen design but that rep washer is crazy thin and cheap - worthless and causing these winding issues.

ZT0hsc.jpg

ZT0KnI.jpg

As a proof of concept, I inserted a 27 guage wire "clip" (0.361mm) onto the 3235 crown wheel post under the thin curved washer and the issue is resolved. I needed to be able to wind the movement to work on it, so I'm leaving it in for now. I'll replace that clip with a similar height spacer of some kind, maybe a nylon or SS washer with a cutout to allow for placement around the post.

ZT0zfj.jpg

ZT0Hh4.jpg

Edit: Thinking about this some more, there is undoubtedly a reason for the crown wheel to be able to disengage from the intermediate crown wheel on the gen or it wouldn't have been made that way. Some kind of safety measure in the event of some other conditions. It wouldn't be to prevent over-winding I believe, or we all would have noticed the difference between winding a fully wound spring and not engaging the ratchet wheel at all. In any case, on the rep once that cheap washer starts to fail at its task there really isn't a better solution than to add a spacer and fix the crown wheel in place.

chapeaux :_o_:

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Jayalvin777

ZTSgxK.jpg

ZT0jQ1.jpg

ZT0ZUv.jpg

ZT0hsc.jpg

ZT0KnI.jpg

ZT0zfj.jpg

ZT0Hh4.jpg

I was expecting something to go wrong with the 3234... so basically, stick to the 3135 for now if u want clone movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bwoah!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ZT0jQ1.jpg

OK after analyzing this further, I see that when the crown is pulled out to position 2 for a date change, the crown wheel is pushed up as its lower post is raised by a knurl on the stem. This disengages the crown wheel from the intermediate crown wheel during a quickset date change and during time setting.

(Sorry first time working on this new movement and there's no manual) :(

ZTJlv2.jpg

So I'm going to have to find some kind of replacement curved spring washer for the cheap rep part. Or maybe a thinner spacer would work so the rep part doesn't have to provide for as much return travel distance to lower the crown wheel back down.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Last edited:

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
My first thought as well. I’m sure there are plenty of duds around - the TD should filter them out before QC stage.

Got the same impression from the ~15 reps I bought last year. Some TDs just accept everything from the factories and sell it with low quality QC pics where you don't really see the issues. Not cool.

Last edited:

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
So I'm going to have to find some kind of replacement curved spring washer for the cheap rep part. Or maybe a thinner spacer would work so the rep part doesn't have to provide for as much return travel distance to lower the crown wheel back down.

Love your posts a lot, thank you KJ !

Maybe, if there's enough clearance in Position 2, a very thin washer on the upper side of the curved spring washer could help to increase the preload of the spring?