• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 126610 Submariner with VS3235 Latest Movement 72 Hours Power Reserve

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
Anyway I did a Thread in the German section with usefull information on Repgeek.
It will be cleaner there. :)

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

Reactions: recan1ze

scottwoerner

Horology Curious
16/12/20
United States
Can anyone comment on the days to deliver to CONUS (Southern California) once shipped from the TD? It is en route without an estimated delivery date.

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Can't speak for the VSF 126610, because I don't have it with me yet.

But, my VSF Yachtmaster 42mm has a reaaly nice crystal, with nice AR.
My ARF Submariner V3 reflects the hour markers a lot more - the light hits the markets, reflect them on the underside of the crystal and then bouce to the glossy dial, creating this effect.

(Gen sub)
dgl0kotegmd01.jpg

The Yachtmaster 42 is much better in this regard (my VSF YM 42)
20201120-160757-2.jpg

I'm guessing that the 126610 will have a similar treatment to it's crystal...

Excellent demonstration with the first picture. That repetitive reflection clearly demonstrates the very thing that the AR on the underside will help to almost eliminate. Great picture.

I went through the VSF 116610 threads and found a few pictures that had a correct lighting angle that would show repetitive dots (not as defined in your picture) next to lume markers showing light reflecting off the rim of the lume marker or the lume itself. I haven't seen the same thing in this thread yet. Could be that no one has caught the angle correctly. I don't know.

I just took a pic of my franken 116710 that has a gen crystal. I will upload that now. You can see that this gen crystal does not have the underside AR.

When my VSF 126610 arrives, I will do some comparison shots as well at the same angles between the 126610 and this 116710 to hopefully demonstrate the presence of the AR under the crystal.

Reactions: UnluckyXIII

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
This is a replica 116710 with a gen crystal installed. Notice the repeating markers due to the back and forth reflecting between the underside of the crystal and the dial. This gem crystal lacks AR on the underside.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
So, I think we need a new Thread with all the useful informations about the VSF 126610 LN/ LV
This here is much overloaded with a lot of useless comments.
What do u all think?

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

I would like to see a new thread as well a large percentage of this one is mindless arguing. Maybe someone can start a VSF 126610 Facebook group and kick out anyone who wants to waste time arguing.

Reactions: tribal

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Can anyone comment on the days to deliver to CONUS (Southern California) once shipped from the TD? It is en route without an estimated delivery date.

Ordered from Trusty. Shipped Jan 6. Tracking updated today Jan 13 showing release from customs 4 days ago on Jan 9th. Customs release time is also 4 hours before airport arrival ???? Not in DHL or USPS tracking systems yet.

Reactions: scottwoerner

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW

Depends on how it was shipped but my last package took 3.5 weeks to Washington State. It was via Airmail (not EMS).

Reactions: scottwoerner

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
This is a replica 116710 with a gen crystal installed. Notice the repeating markers due to the back and forth reflecting between the underside of the crystal and the dial. This gem crystal lacks AR on the underside.

This is pretty common, right? My VSF SMP has this exact effect as well.

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Thanks! Keep me abreast, I will do the same.

It's also going to be determined by how busy your area's post office is, as well as the shipping method by the TD. Mine went from Chicago to about 30 miles from my house. It's currently with DHL and is awaiting transfer to the USPS. It has been sitting a half hour drive away for over 48 hours now... I could drive there, pick it up and be back in my living room in about an hour.

Also, you will need to factor in the customs wait. Depending on where it enters the country, and how motivated the customs agents are to move packages that day :lol: I have had packages enter and exit customs within 36 hours in places like Chicago, average is usually 3-6 days there. I've also had others come through NYC where I've had one watch sit for 18 days (this is probably 4-5 years ago.)

It's all about the dreaded P-word. Ahhh, patience... the worst part of this hobby. :lol:

Total time for mine is 2 weeks as of today (Ohio). Looks like it's going to be 15+ days for mine.

Reactions: Hazing

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
This is pretty common, right? My VSF SMP has this exact effect as well.

It should be common on basically every single Rolex watch (both gen and rep) up until the 126610. The 126610 is the first watch to introduce the AR on the underside of a crystal. I'd assume you'd really only see it on sapphire crystal models prior to the 126610.

basically, you would most likely see this effect on any sapphire crystal that lacks the underside AR. So it would make sense that you'd see it on the SMP. I don't believe the gen or rep has the underside AR.

I wonder if anyone with a VSF 126610 can look on their watch to see if they see this phenomena or not? Basically you need the light source to be coming in from less than a 45 degree angle, so a flashlight or the sun coming in "from the side of the watch." Youll have to tilt the watch up or down until you see the effect (or, hopefully you don't!).

If not, I will check this when mine arrives (hopefully in just a couple days.) I'll most likely have to check with artificial light, as sunlight is rare as hell this time of year where I live :lol:

Reactions: sukwonee

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Thank you for the explanation fatarms

This may be a dumb question but 126610 having underside AR would decrease the blackhole effect (still there but not as apparent as older Rolex models)? I know light will still reflect off the top surface of the crystal but I feel like having the underside AR would have an indirect impact in preventing reflection. I have several Pam reps that have underside AR coating that minimizes glare to some degree.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
I wonder if anyone with a VSF 126610 can look on their watch to see if they see this phenomena or not? Basically you need the light source to be coming in from less than a 45 degree angle, so a flashlight or the sun coming in "from the side of the watch." Youll have to tilt the watch up or down until you see the effect (or, hopefully you don't!).

If not, I will check this when mine arrives (hopefully in just a couple days.) I'll most likely have to check with artificial light, as sunlight is rare as hell this time of year where I live :lol:

I’ll have a look now. It’s dark here so will be with a halogen...give me 20.

Edit:

fatarms

Not a great comparison, and nothing too meaningfull here I'm afraid. A more accurate and controlled shoot is required I think.

I tried to swap the ARF for the VSF without moving the phone.

I don't have great light available and its cloudy in the UK for the next 6 weeks.

Edit 2. Perhaps it is better to show a section...

IMG-4212-1.jpg

Last edited:

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Thank you for the explanation fatarms

This may be a dumb question but 126610 having underside AR would decrease the blackhole effect (still there but not as apparent as older Rolex models)? I know light will still reflect off the top surface of the crystal but I feel like having the underside AR would have an indirect impact in preventing reflection. I have several Pam reps that have underside AR coating that minimizes glare to some degree.

I don't claim to be an optics expert by any means. I would not think that there should be any issue with the black hole effect, in fact, it may enhance it a tiny bit. Here's why:

An anti-reflective coating is meant to do exactly what it sounds like, diminish the reflection of light from a surface. Depending on the thickness of the coating, it can reduce this to near zero reflection from most viewing angles of the surface.

Sapphire crystals, being clear, actually have two reflective surfaces - the top and bottom of the crystal both will act as reflecting surfaces to any light that enters the crystal from the outside. So with no AR, light entering the crystal is actually reflected to your eyes from both surfaces. Single layer AR on the outside is the more effective of the two, but is prone to scratching. Some watches do it to the inside of the crystal to prevent the scratching on the outside. Therefore, you still get the reflection from the outside which will be a little more than from the inside of an uncoated crystal. The AR on the inside will diminish the reflection of incoming light from the outside world, as well as from the dial if it is polished. One thing to keep in mind here is that since the crystal is clear, the coating on the inside will also diminish the reflection of the incoming light from reflecting back to your eyes from the underside, but will do nothing to the external uncoated surface. This is why it looks a little better on your PAMs, but the light reflecting from the outside of the crystal is going to cause most of the glare you still see.

As for a true black hole crystal, the AR is applied to the outside of the crystal, but only underneath the cyclops itself. So light passing through the cyclops will actually be passing through two layers of AR (outside and inside) and therefore possibly enhance the black hole effect a slight degree more than the 116610 crystals which only have the AR on the outside under the cyclops.

Pietros

14/12/18
UK
I don't claim to be an optics expert by any means. I would not think that there should be any issue with the black hole effect, in fact, it may enhance it a tiny bit. Here's why:

An anti-reflective coating is meant to do exactly what it sounds like, diminish the reflection of light from a surface. Depending on the thickness of the coating, it can reduce this to near zero reflection from most viewing angles of the surface.

Sapphire crystals, being clear, actually have two reflective surfaces - the top and bottom of the crystal both will act as reflecting surfaces to any light that enters the crystal from the outside. So with no AR, light entering the crystal is actually reflected to your eyes from both surfaces. Single layer AR on the outside is the more effective of the two, but is prone to scratching. Some watches do it to the inside of the crystal to prevent the scratching on the outside. Therefore, you still get the reflection from the outside which will be a little more than from the inside of an uncoated crystal. The AR on the inside will diminish the reflection of incoming light from the outside world, as well as from the dial if it is polished. One thing to keep in mind here is that since the crystal is clear, the coating on the inside will also diminish the reflection of the incoming light from reflecting back to your eyes from the underside, but will do nothing to the external uncoated surface. This is why it looks a little better on your PAMs, but the light reflecting from the outside of the crystal is going to cause most of the glare you still see.

As for a true black hole crystal, the AR is applied to the outside of the crystal, but only underneath the cyclops itself. So light passing through the cyclops will actually be passing through two layers of AR (outside and inside) and therefore possibly enhance the black hole effect a slight degree more than the 116610 crystals which only have the AR on the outside under the cyclops.

Nicely summed up!

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: sukwonee

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
I’ll have a look now. It’s dark here so will be with a halogen...give me 20.

Edit:

fatarms

Not a great comparison, and nothing too meaningfull here I'm afraid.
A more accurate and controlled shoot is required I think.

I tried to swap the ARF for the VSF without moving the phone.

I don't have great light available and its cloudy in the UK for the next 6 weeks.

Edit 2. Perhaps it is better to show a section...

IMG-4212-1.jpg

Looks like there may be some AR on the bottom side of the 126610. You can clearly see the triangle 12 marker reflected on the 116610 dial next to the 11 marker. There's a hint of the triangle marker next to the 11 marker on the 126610, but nowhere near as pronounced as the 116610.

Notice the reflection of the date (the 9 in the date window) on the 116610, but looks to be absent (the 13 in the date window) in the 126610. I think this definitely points in the direction of there being some AR coating on the 126610 crystal's underside.

Good pics and thank you for posting them.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Looks like there may be some AR on the bottom side of the 126610. You can clearly see the triangle 12 marker reflected on the 116610 dial next to the 11 marker. There's a hint of the triangle marker next to the 11 marker on the 126610, but nowhere near as pronounced as the 116610.

Notice the reflection of the date (the 9 in the date window) on the 116610, but looks to be absent (the 13 in the date window) in the 126610. I think this definitely points in the direction of there being some AR coating on the 126610 crystal's underside.

Good pics and thank you for posting them.

I’ll have another look tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will afford me some better conditions, and I’ll shoot with an SLR as well.

I see the biggest difference around the date reflections as well, but I also wonder if this is a result of the better black hole effect on the VSF vs the ARF crystal?

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I just checked and compared my 126610 LN with my 5 year old Sea Dweller under a halogen light and it definitely has NO AR. The magnification and color of light bulb in the crystal is the same in both watches. I think I know what I am talking about, I used to do AR for AP some years ago.

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
I’ll have another look tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will afford me some better conditions, and I’ll shoot with an SLR as well.

I see the biggest difference around the date reflections as well, but I also wonder if this is a result of the better black hole effect on the VSF vs the ARF crystal?

It could be, but the other thing is the multiple reflections of the rehaut above and below the minute hand on the 116610, but just a faint reflection on the 126610. Neither of these are passing through the cyclops, so would be independent of any black hole AR. So in multiple locations on the dials (minute markers, you can see additional ones for the circle indices on the ARF if you look closely), it looks like the AR performance of the 126610 is better. These pictures are a very good start to determine the AR capabilities on the 126610 and makes me optimistic.