• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Batman GMT 116710 BLNR photo review

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
Good to hear that. I'm currently contemplating something similar, but with a jubilee and xtal upgrade in mind.

Do ARFs jubilees create an adequate fit on their GMT case? If so it would be worthwhile to purchase the bracelet separately and change them since they don't offer a batgirl to begin with.

I'm also quote fond of the VSF crystals, anyone aware of a crystal that would fit the GMT? Are Sub and GMT perhaps even the same dimensions?

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
FYI I just confirmed Pure time will sell VR3186 movement and BLNR GMT hands for $158 and $25 respectively. Plus $15.

$198 total. For those that are interested.

I'm ordering the ARF for $518 plus $35
$158 plus $25 total. $761 which will be expensive for a BLNR however if it has a solid movement and great Bezel I thi k it will be worth it. Gen BLNR's are going for $16-$17k with box and papers.

Check Ali first on the price of VR3185. You may be surprised:cool:

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
FYI I just confirmed Pure time will sell VR3186 movement and BLNR GMT hands for $158 and $25 respectively. Plus $15.

$198 total. For those that are interested.

Does PT sell the movement with 116710BLNR or 126710BLNR hands?

ChaiMeng

Horology Curious
28/11/19
Macao
Does the ARF 116710BLNR insert marks turning dark after worn? It's hard to clean but only using cotton bar..

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
Sorry I wasn't clear the $25 is for the hands. So $183 includes hands and movement.

Understood that part, but which hand set is coming with the movement? Most rep factories are lazy and only produce one set of hands for both the Batman and Batgirl.

Reactions: Mark1937

johnwatch

Certified
14/12/13
Understood that part, but which hand set is coming with the movement? Most rep factories are lazy and only produce one set of hands for both the Batman and Batgirl.

Ah I didn't specify but I will. However since I'm building a batman I would assume that the default would be for that model since the batgirl is newer. I'll let you know.

johnwatch

Certified
14/12/13

Good Eye for detail. It looks like they sent me this link to confirm. Movement and hands to be sent. So they were sending me batgirl. That brings up another question the link they sent says the VFR model is using GMT-Master II 116710 BLNR Black/Blue Ceramic 904L Steel VRF 1:1 Best Edition SA3186 CHS V2
question is SA3186 the same as VR3186

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ah I didn't specify but I will. However since I'm building a batman I would assume that the default would be for that model since the batgirl is newer. I'll let you know.

You need to be careful specifying which hands you order. IDK of any factory that makes both lengths of hands, and many factories don't match the right hand set with the right model. Also you want to buy hands that are good quality, some factory hands are better than others, and make sure to get hands that are made specifically to fit the VR3185 (as RWI calls it, the one and only VR best GMT rep movement).

Gen characteristics change with the new 2021 Batman release

Prior to new 2021 release
116710 - oyster bracelet, shorter hands, single coronet dial
126710 - jubilee bracelet, longer hands, double coronet dial

New 2021 release
126710 - oyster or jubilee bracelet, longer hands, double coronet dial

So if you are using an oyster bracelet, you can have either short or long hands and be accurate to gen. If you also have a single coronet dial (only one ARF offers) and want to be accurate to gen, you need the shorter hand set.

Both of these releases contain an element inaccurate to gen

Wrong model name, should be 116710, otherwise correct
ZvXyUt.jpg

Long hands + single coronet dial
ZvXObF.jpg

Many people do not bother with trying to get these elements accurate to gen when making a rep Batman, in fact plenty of gen owners mix and match bracelets so some of their gens are not accurate either.

New 2021 release
126710 - oyster bracelet, longer hands, double coronet dial
ZvX7xv.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Good Eye for detail. It looks like they sent me this link to confirm. Movement and hands to be sent. So they were sending me batgirl. That brings up another question the link they sent says the VFR model is using GMT-Master II 116710 BLNR Black/Blue Ceramic 904L Steel VRF 1:1 Best Edition SA3186 CHS V2
question is SA3186 the same as VR3186

VRF uses the VR3185. That is the movement you want. VRF hands can be good but there have also been some bad batches of skinny hands. Compare these two hand sets, both from VRF Pepsi's released in close time proximity to each other. The hands on the left are clearly less desirable.

Z1zEAR.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You could also ask for a set of ROF hands, they use the same VR3185 movement. Noob also has some of these hands for the BLNR, but the newer Noob GMT hand sets aren't what they used to be. Or just take your chances with a set from VRF, you would probably be OK with whichever set you get. TDs often won't let you swap out parts based on a preference if they source what you asked for.

https://trustytime.io/index.php?main...ducts_id=22557

ZvdUao.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cpd2186

johnwatch

Certified
14/12/13
You could also ask for a set of ROF hands, they use the same VR3185 movement. Noob also has some of these hands for the BLNR, but the newer Noob GMT hand sets aren't what they used to be. Or just take your chances with a set from VRF, you would probably be OK with whichever set you get. TDs often won't let you swap out parts based on a preference if they source what you asked for.

https://trustytime.io/index.php?main...ducts_id=22557

ZvdUao.jpg

Ok this is even better news. I think what I might do is just order Both the ARF and the VFR and swap out the movements. Hands dial and all. Would that be the best way to go as I'm reading the datewheel is better on VRF .

anythoughts on the dial ? ARF or VRF unless the VFR is inferior in a great way I would prefer not to have to swap that out as there is always a risk of gumming up the hands or scratch the dial.

Also how hard is it to just swap the bezels. Would that be easier than swapping movements. I know I have messed up the gasket rings on Sub and the bezel didn't turn smoothly. I have not tried to swap bezels on GMT.

Thank you all in advance. On your help and insight. Trying to build the best BLNR with the current models.

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
Many people do not bother with trying to get these elements accurate to gen when making a rep Batman, in fact plenty of gen owners mix and match bracelets so some of their gens are not accurate either.

As far as I know Rolex intentionally changed the mechanical layout of the lug holes and SELs so you can't use an Oyster on a Batgirl. The case was changed to set apart owners of the whitegold Pepsi from poor fellas who can only afford the steel version with Jubilee.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
As far as I know Rolex intentionally changed the mechanical layout of the lug holes and SELs so you can't use an Oyster on a Batgirl. The case was changed to set apart owners of the whitegold Pepsi from poor fellas who can only afford the steel version with Jubilee.

You can mix and match those bracelets. The springbars are very different, both main body diameter and tip size. There was a good discussion about it in the GMF V3 thread, I'll try to post a link. I've seen posts with pics of 126710 BLNRs with oysters fitted on them on TRF and elsewhere. Member Complete put together a nice table of springbar size comparisons.

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21

I'm not sure if this is accurate.

I recall that at TRF, it was demonstrated that an oyster bracelet could be used with the 3285 GMTs but only with the springbars from the 3285 GMTs.

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
I'm not sure if this is accurate.

I recall that at TRF, it was demonstrated that an oyster bracelet could be used with the 3285 GMTs but only with the springbars from the 3285 GMTs.

OK, read the opposite on a gen forum but can't dig it out right now.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ok this is even better news. I think what I might do is just order Both the ARF and the VFR and swap out the movements. Hands dial and all. Would that be the best way to go as I'm reading the datewheel is better on VRF .
anythoughts on the dial ? ARF or VRF unless the VFR is inferior in a great way I would prefer not to have to swap that out as there is always a risk of gumming up the hands or scratch the dial.
Also how hard is it to just swap the bezels. Would that be easier than swapping movements. I know I have messed up the gasket rings on Sub and the bezel didn't turn smoothly. I have not tried to swap bezels on GMT.
Thank you all in advance. On your help and insight. Trying to build the best BLNR with the current models.

The ARF and VRF dials are both good. ARF lume is well known to be very white in daylight and can look a little fake. Some folks are really bothered by it. ARF hands are well known to be excellent but also have the same lume. ARF dial markers usually have the worst square corners too. But, these are things we put up with on reps.

Zvf2zv.jpg

Swapping the whole VRF movement/dial/hands into the ARF will work and would be a good plan. However the ARF dial will not seat into the VRF case without being shaved.

DIY Dial Shaving

Swapping bezels is always a risky proposition that can create issues. I prefer to keep bezels with their original watch and swap inserts only if I'm making a change.

Probably the most hassle free way to do this is swap in the VR movement to the ARF and have a set of VR compatible hands available in case they are needed. ARF hands can go onto a VR3185, sometimes needing a little modding (crimping and/or broaching). If you switch hands there will be a noticeable lume mismatch between the dial and the hands. So you could use an ARF base and source a VRF dial, hands and a VR3185 movement.

Ah the joys of picking one from column A and one from column B, haha!

Last edited: