• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Batman GMT 116710 BLNR photo review

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ryantunna Nice mods.
Did you use the stock crystal gasket or the gen.?
Also, the ARF hands fit correctly on the VR3185 pinions?

Due to rep parts tolerances, ARF hands do not always fit perfectly on a VR3185. It's hit or miss IME, sometimes the GMT or minute hands holes are slightly too large, the second hand post is more frequently too tight. All the hands can be crimped or broached if needed. It's a quick easy fix.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
qualitatively is it comparable in terms of proximity to the gen to the vsf submariner 116610?

Not even close since this one comes with not so reliable movement to begin with....that's why you see all these ppl including myself switching movement.

Reactions: KJ2020

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Could this be a feasible route to go for a more accurate 116710 BLNR?

ROF + ARF insert + VRF dial and hands

Or if the Noob V11 BLNR + ARF insert + VRF dial and hands is a better option?

Since both incorporate the VR3185, fitting the VRF dial and hands shouldn't pose any problem.

Any comments are most welcome

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Could this be a feasible route to go for a more accurate 116710 BLNR?

ROF + ARF insert + VRF dial and hands

Or if the Noob V11 BLNR + ARF insert + VRF dial and hands is a better option?

Since both incorporate the VR3185, fitting the VRF dial and hands shouldn't pose any problem.

Any comments are most welcome

VRF watch plus ARF insert.

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
That what I will do. IMO the most cost-effective way. I did for a VRF Pepsi+Noob insert, and a VRF Batgirl+ARF insert.

If want to dive into details of the individual factory parts then none of it is perfect. I need to hold my watches real close and steady to see/read the rehaut. But I can definitely see the good bezel and date font without any aid.
I think the key is to set your budget, then adjust your expectation based on it. Lastly, configure the best combo to suit your needs.

Cheers

Reactions: OldNavitimer

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Rubberman Good points, thanks.
So I trust the mid case shape of VRF GMT conforms to that of gen.
How's it's bracelet?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
VRF can have some bad batches of hands. Also the VRF rehaut is not the best, both the quality of the engraving and a rough rehaut ledge. All VRF cases are engraved 126710, if that matters to you. VRF dial is very good.

Both are VRF, hands on left are not great.
Z1zEAR.jpg

To keep the number of watches involved to only two, I would choose the Noob V11 BLNR with ARF insert. The Noob crystal is only rep GMT crystal that is passable as is, IMO. ARF, VRF, ROF, GMF crystals are all less than adequate. Noob isn't a gen of course but it is adequate. Any watch coming with a VR3185 should have the same adequate DW, so that's a wash.

VRF crystal, cool if your month has 38 days in it, lol.
ZqqFVK.jpg

Noob stock crystal
15831384678411.jpg

post #496

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...5-new-vrf-pepsi-gmt-max?p=9557002#post9557002

Of course everyone has different opinions and making combo reps is usually necessary to meet our own level of acceptable quality. You can get there in several different ways.

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Thanks a lot for your input. I have similar thoughts too.
What I have in hands are the gen. crystal, VRF dial and hands(from old batch)
So I guess the ARF insert has to be stuck, not press fit, onto the Noob's bezel, right?
Will the gen. crystal snapoed onto Noob's case with the gen. gasket to give the correct mag. power on the dates?
The Noob V11 bracelet is up to standard too?
Thanks again for your expertise advices in advance.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ARF insert will have to be stuck in the Noob bezel. It is ultra thin compared to the Noob insert so you will have to build up the bezel well. Press fit bezels have an extra part in the well, an insert support ring (like the gen), that gives back support and wedges the insert against the inner bezel rim.

In the pic below you can see a Noob insert that was shaved to fit an ARF bezel.

pics credit Pelagic
ZP5vTo.jpg

I use Scotch clear double-sided tape for bezels needing this much build up. One thickness is often perfect. It can be stretched a little to make it thinner. I did one recently - I test fit the pre-made bezel tape rings first to see how many would be needed, and after about 3 of them wouldn't work I'm on to a different solution.

Tape is like this, though I bought Scotch brand.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Acrylic-Ad...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

That tape is challenging to get inside a bezel well properly. You need to cut it in about 1mm thin strips. Slicing the strips on the roll makes that task easier. You can't touch a sticky side at all or it will lose it's stickiness. So use two pairs of tweezers to handle it. Peel off the red film, stick one end in the right place in the well and walk your way around anchoring it with a tweezer tip while holding the opposite end of the strip in the air with the other tweezers. I do it in thirds, longer is too unmanageable. Sometimes you need to snip off the loose end with manicuring scissors if it has gotten too stretched or folded over onto itself etc. Definitely worth the effort the stuff is bulletproof.

Gen crystal fits properly in Noob case. Date mag should be fine with included gen gasket.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...blro-vvvlllooo

You didn't say which type bracelet you want to use. Both Noob's oyster and jubilee are usable, read what Oascom says about them.

post #496

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...02#post9557002

I put an ARF bracelet on a Noob case but lately ARF GMT bracelets have not been great - many comments here about that.

My ARF GMT oyster has a little too much recess on the Noob case, I may swap it around. It's not so bad I'm in a rush to do anything.

16060736357040.jpg

ARF and VRF GMT dials are not the same size - ARF dial is about 0.4mm larger so depending on which way you are going there may be a fit issue. A VRF dial should fit in an ARF case but an ARF dial will need to be shaved to fit in a VRF case.

Last edited:

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
ARF insert will have to be stuck in the Noob bezel. It is ultra thin compared to the Noob insert so you will have to build up the bezel well.

Can the ARF bezel with insert be fitted without modication to a noob's 116710 case?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can the ARF bezel with insert be fitted without modication to a noob's 116710 case?

I can't say firsthand bro but my guess is yes since both cases will take gen parts. I would always want to include the crystal retaining ring in that swap though as there can be slight height differences in the hytrel ring placement and the retaining ring lip. A bezel should always be mated with its proper crystal retaining ring IMO.

Reactions: JonathanLing91

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] many thanks for the prompt reply and for sharing with us experiences, tips and tricks! Highly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020
Thanks a lot for your advices.
You need to cut it in about 1mm thin strips
1 mm? So you are just putting a thin strip along the inner circumference of the bezel? What I don't get is that how a 1mm strip can be circle round the inner rim with the adhesive surface flat, if you know what I mean.
Understand the Noob bracelet has the SEL recess issue. Guess nothing can be perfect, lol

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020
Thanks a lot for your advices.

1 mm? So you are just putting a thin strip along the inner circumference of the bezel? What I don't get is that how a 1mm strip can be circle round the inner rim with the adhesive surface flat, if you know what I mean.
Understand the Noob bracelet has the SEL recess issue. Guess nothing can be perfect, lol

The tape is soft and pliable. Its like drawing an arc with many straight lines. It will lie in an arc without any puckering. It needs to go where it will do the best job. On some bezels, the first point of contact is often the outer perimeter next to the rim. On the one I just did there was a hump in the well adjacent the retaining ring lip so that's where I placed it for that install.

K3V1N0

Looking Around
8/8/20
I have a GMF V3 right now, would anyone here recommend swapping to the ARF?

K3V1N0

Looking Around
8/8/20
I have a GMF V3 right now, would anyone recommend swapping to the ARF?

K3V1N0

Looking Around
8/8/20
Are you happy with your GMF? If so no need to swap

I am happy with the movement but not so with the engraving of the bezel. That’s why I was thinking of selling my GMF and buying a ARF.
But I hear a lot of people who say that the movement is not so great in an ARF...