• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New VRF Pepsi GMT Max

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Way too risky for me but I did wonder what would happen if I pitched up at the service centre with no bezel insert on the watch as if it had somehow worked loose and fallen off...

Sent from the RWI App
They'd replace it. 100%.

Do it 3, 4 or 5 times and they'd still do it. Your ad probably would stop showing you any love at all but Rolex will never let a genuine Rolex watch leave their facility intentionally flawed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
They'd replace it. 100%.

Do it 3, 4 or 5 times and they'd still do it. Your ad probably would stop showing you any love at all but Rolex will never let a genuine Rolex watch leave their facility intentionally flawed.

Sorry but I have to correct you as this is wrong. These inserts are for exchange only!

It's true that you would be charged around 500 USD for a new one however, the service centre shall send the insert to Rolex's HQ for replacement. If lost or broken it wouldn't be replaced whatsoever and if aftermarket, Rolex gets to keep it...

They have really strict rules for new steel models (116500, 126710, etc) and generally speaking for every models with special attributes (116710BLNR, 116508 green dial etc)

Pietros

14/12/18
UK
Sorry but I have to correct you as this is wrong. These inserts are for exchange only!

It's true that you would be charged around 500 USD for a new one however, the service centre shall send the insert to Rolex's HQ for replacement. If lost or broken it wouldn't be replaced whatsoever and if aftermarket, Rolex gets to keep it...

They have really strict rules for new steel models (116500, 126710, etc) and generally speaking for every models with special attributes (116710BLNR, 116508 green dial etc)

I see your point but, unlikely as it is, that scenario could actually happen.
I’d expect some resistance from RSC but ultimately, I can’t see them leaving a customer with a massively devalued watch.

I have absolutely no intention of putting any of this to the test but it’s an interesting predicament.

Sent from the RWI App

kevBquick

9/10/18
clark crystal does not fit on the VR bezel. it cracked my insert in 3 spots. so sad.

cant get the fill right on my GMF insert while i wait for a new insert from VR MAX. trying to do the red fill paint mod but the line keeps showing up after i try to scrape the excess off.

no insert is actually close. not noob or any of them. VR does have no transition issues...if your lucky.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro, if you bought Clark's 295 C, those are made to replace a gen B25-295-CAR-C1. They are 30.5mm in diameter at the upper step and 29.5mm at the lower step. I've installed a lot of these and they fit perfectly inside the inner diameter of a rep or gen ceramic insert, which is 30.6mm at least, and sometimes as much as 30.8mm.

Here is a pic of three I have on hand, shown inside a ZZF green, VRF black, and aftermarket blue ceramic insert.

ZnI1JI.jpg

I install these in the sequence I posted previously, and always remove the insert before re-pressing the bezel over the crystal and retaining ring. I have never cracked or broken an insert or a crystal doing it this way. The insert goes on last, and will just drop right into the bezel well without touching the crystal at all. If you had the 295 C Clark's, you must have done things in a sequence that contributed to the damage. It was not due to improper fitment.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1764854788

kevBquick

9/10/18
Bro, if you bought Clark's 295 C, those are made to replace a gen B25-295-CAR-C1. They are 30.5mm in diameter at the upper step and 29.5mm at the lower step. I've installed a lot of these and they fit perfectly inside the inner diameter of a rep or gen ceramic insert, which is 30.6mm at least, and sometimes as much as 30.8mm.

Here is a pic of three I have on hand, shown inside a ZZF green, VRF black, and aftermarket blue ceramic insert.

ZnI1JI.jpg

I install these in the sequence I posted previously, and always remove the insert before re-pressing the bezel over the crystal and retaining ring. I have never cracked or broken an insert or a crystal doing it this way. The insert goes on last, and will just drop right into the bezel well without touching the crystal at all. If you had the 295 C Clark's, you must have done things in a sequence that contributed to the damage. It was not due to improper fitment.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1764854788

yeah i bought clarks 295c. i have done it to a few myself. but this one was clacking the crystal on top with the insert in. there wasn't a way for me to get it on without it happening. i had it off. wasn't going to meet up with the insert. i believe the VR MAX is smaller. i have pressed the bezel in with the original crystal installed 3 times...no issues. had i pressed it without it this time....there would be no way for the insert to touch the bezel.
while normally i didn't have any issues. my GMF batman looks great. AR on cyclops is nice. pressed with insert in. pressed VR with stock crystal a total of 4 times. i think there insert is smaller than usual. so i checked it with it on....lined it up and went for it. it worked in the since of my lined everything up and getting to press. didn't work with crystal. take crystal out and use stock. no problem.
I will use my other clark crystal on a different sub. i have definitely got it down to a science. i promise this wasn't going to fit no matter what. i'll take measurements of the next one that comes in. it sat way to high....i wasn't going to do it but then i looked at my batman....after just putting the stock crystal back on my VR...went back and put the clark back on again. something told me this wasn't going to work. so now i wait for my new insert to arrive....probably be at least a month. just as long as it leaves before CNY.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
There's no way the VRF Pepsi insert inner diameter is smaller unless the VRF stock crystal is also smaller in diameter, i.e., not gen-spec at 29.5/30.5mm. While that is certainly possible (VRF 116610 Max's had 19.9mm lug widths and won't accept other bracelets), this would be an extraordinary departure from the norm for all 6 digit Subs, GMTs, and Yachtis. I'm very interested in a measurement of the stock VRF crystal if anyone can provide that. It is a POS crystal so maybe it is non gen-spec size too. SMH
​​​​​​
Has anyone else replaced theirs?

Last edited:

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
I’d expect some resistance from RSC but ultimately, I can’t see them leaving a customer with a massively devalued watch.

I have absolutely no intention of putting any of this to the test but it’s an interesting predicament.

Sent from the RWI App

Be my guest, just call them or write them an email. Their answer will be the following, I'm speaking from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevBquick

9/10/18

Well my brother sent in his 5 digit pepsi....nicely faded bezel. It was from his dad. Its probably got 30yrs on it. He sent it in....they did a full overhaul. swapped out his faded bezel for a shiny new aluminum bezel. polished his bracelet and such. movement serviced. 1800 later.....his watch lost a ton of value for that.

ceramic bezel on pepsi and such have rolex crown on back. aftermarket is kept....i don't think you get a replacement to keep swapping and sending. maybe once. since service history is retained. all these aftermarkets do not have any stamps...maybe clean for their factory. but this VR is thinner than GMF for example.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
There's no way the VRF Pepsi insert inner diameter is smaller unless the VRF stock crystal is also smaller in diameter, i.e., not gen-spec at 29.5/30.5mm. While that is certainly possible (VRF 116610 Max's had 19.9mm lug widths and won't accept other bracelets), this would be an extraordinary departure from the norm for all 6 digit Subs, GMTs, and Yachtis. I'm very interested in a measurement of the stock VRF crystal if anyone can provide that. It is a POS crystal so maybe it is non gen-spec size too. SMH
​​​​​​
Has anyone else replaced theirs?

I'll try to measure today. But it looks standard

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

Sent from the RWI App
I agree. Yes if the insert is there sure but there is no way Rolex would refuse to replace a part.

Imagine somekne on TRF saying "I sent my gen watch to RSC and they refused to replace it because they don't approve of how it broke". There is absolutely no way.

I understand they have a policy for swap only but I believe that is more something they do at the ad level. They tell the ADs to get the broken part before selling a new one. Not that they do.

Also while Rolex has a policy where they swap out parts, they also have a policy of wanting their watches to be flawless. There is no way they'd let a seriously flawed watch leave RSC so that a Rolex customer can go around showing his flawed watch that Rolex refused to fix appropriately. That would hurt their brand significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pietros

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
Way too risky for me but I did wonder what would happen if I pitched up at the service centre with no bezel insert on the watch as if it had somehow worked loose and fallen off...

Sent from the RWI App

I mean it has happened to people before, with older subs and GMTs where the whole bezel assembly has come off. Or if you have bought it like that they can't really do anything apart from sell you a replacement assembly or refuse completely. Certainly less risky than putting a rep part on.

Call up the RSC and let us know the results ????????

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
I mean it has happened to people before, with older subs and GMTs where the whole bezel assembly has come off. Or if you have bought it like that they can't really do anything apart from sell you a replacement assembly or refuse completely. Certainly less risky than putting a rep part on.

Call up the RSC and let us know the results ????????
Pietros I have read about this happening on TRF. Quite some time ago it was $1,000 rather than $300, and took many months. Doesn't seem reasonable to me. Still I don't think there's a scenario where anyone seizes your gen watch, even with fake parts fitted. I can't really see how that's legal.

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
Pietros I have read about this happening on TRF. Quite some time ago it was $1,000 rather than $300, and took many months. Doesn't seem reasonable to me. Still I don't think there's a scenario where anyone seizes your gen watch, even with fake parts fitted. I can't really see how that's legal.

It costs +\- 500 usd (depending on the Swiss franc) to exchange a 126710blro ceramic insert (this includes shipping and handling).

The RSC would only send the bezel + "damaged" insert for its replacement to Rolex HQ.

If you were to fit a NOOB bezel onto it, it won't be seen as REP but aftermarket, anyway Rolex wouldn't then replace it.

Pick up the phone and call any RSC, that's the answer you will get... Speaking from experience...

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
It costs +\- 500 usd (depending on the Swiss franc) to exchange a 126710blro ceramic insert (this includes shipping and handling).

The RSC would only send the bezel + "damaged" insert for its replacement to Rolex HQ.

If you were to fit a NOOB bezel onto it, it won't be seen as REP but aftermarket, anyway Rolex wouldn't then replace it.

Pick up the phone and call any RSC, that's the answer you will get... Speaking from experience...

You're right, it looks like the CHF cost in 2019 was 471.67, so a little over $500. That's way down from what it was a few years ago, which makes sense on one level but is also surprising for Rolex. I guess one question is, what would RSC do if you sent in a gen BLRO with no insert and said it was destroyed and fell out. Sending back with rep parts seems like a recipe for failure, but missing parts I'd assume is a different story.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06

VRF red seems tad bit too light where noob's red is bit too dark...really hoping when VSF come out with pepsi, it would be somewhere between those two.