• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New VRF Pepsi GMT Max

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I believe in my case I get to leave the scallop ring. No need just pop the crystal out. Put new in. It crystal gasket is not holding I will replace. I will use the crown tube inserted to level line the cyclops.

put the movement back in straight. Then lock it up.

You won't be able to fully re-seat any crystal back onto the case without first removing the scalloped crystal retaining ring. It is what compresses the gasket to the case and the crystal to the gasket. If you try to do this, you will damage the gasket or possibly the crystal.

Without proper expensive Rolex tools, which only the most experienced and skilled watchmakers purchase, the sequence of replacing a crystal is:

Fit the gasket to the crystal
Put the fitted pieces onto the case
Press the retaining ring over the fitted pieces

FYI with Rolex tools all the pieces are fitted together first, then pressed onto the case as a 3 piece ensemble.

The point is, you won't physically be able to force a crystal or a crystal plus gasket inside a seated retaining ring. If you do manage to do it, part of the gasket will get crushed and it will be compromised and/or ruined.

Last edited:

kevBquick

9/10/18
You won't be able to fully re-seat any crystal back onto the case without first removing the scalloped crystal retaining ring. It is what compresses the gasket to the case and the crystal to the gasket. If you try to do this, you will damage the gasket or possibly the crystal.

Without proper expensive Rolex tools, which only the most experienced and skilled watchmakers purchase, the sequence of replacing a crystal is:

Fit the gasket to the crystal
Put the fitted pieces onto the case
Press the retaining ring over the fitted pieces

FYI with Rolex tools all the pieces are fitted together first, then pressed onto the case as a 3 piece ensemble.

The point is, you won't physically be able to force a crystal or a crystal plus gasket inside a seated retaining ring. If you do manage to do it, part of the gasket will get crushed and it will be compromised and/or ruined.

got you brother. Thanks for the info as always. I’ll just break it all done.

so it’s crystal gasket
then scallop ring over crystal gasket. Press on.
then put crystal on. Press on.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
got you brother. Thanks for the info as always. I’ll just break it all done.

so it’s crystal gasket
then scallop ring over crystal gasket. Press on.
then put crystal on. Press on.

No bro. You have to seat the gasket and the crystal onto the case first. Then hand fit your movement so you can assess date mag and cyclops position. After you are certain the gasket height is good, and the cyclops is in a perfect position, place the retaining ring over the seated gasket AND CRYSTAL, and press the retaining ring home. Be careful to not let the crystal rotate during the retaining ring pressing.

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Arrived a few days ago.

Zy5EQ2.jpg

Zy57Ut.jpg

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Took some photos last night, I'll try to take some in daylight later! I am pleasantly surprised by how dark the colors are - which is something I really wanted. I was going to get a noob insert to compare, but I might not need to. I'll definitely be getting a prof crystal though.

ZyUgVp.jpg

ZyUckb.jpg

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Took some photos last night, I'll try to take some in daylight later! I am pleasantly surprised by how dark the colors are - which is something I really wanted. I was going to get a noob insert to compare, but I might not need to. I'll definitely be getting a prof crystal though.

ZyUgVp.jpg

ZyUckb.jpg

Looks amazing. How is the build quality, especially on the bracelet? So glad to have a Pepsi without a timebomb movement!

Is it correct that this VRF now uses the Clean Factory bezel insert?

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA

Looks great! No need for the noob insert. It's called BLRO, not BLBR!!

Joelb727

Horology Curious
20/12/20
Irvine, CA

ZyUgVp.jpg

ZyUckb.jpg

Can you please post/send me one of your qc pics of this watch? I am about to gl one from geektime, but want to see if your qc pics are similar to mine (I'm uploading one for reference). Want my colors to turn out to be like yours and stevier88 in person. Mine just looks a little lighter... hoping it's the lighting. Thanks and congrats!

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Can you please post/send me one of your qc pics of this watch? I am about to gl one from geektime, but want to see if your qc pics are similar to mine (I'm uploading one for reference).

probably just the lighting mate, my QCs were the same as yours. In person it’s much darker.

Reactions: Joelb727