• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New VRF Pepsi GMT Max

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
What a shame & I feel your pain.

Need the experts to chime in & assist you asap.

Maybe consideration to a new insert if you're doing a crystal upgrade? Not telling you how to spend your money but it's a good looking example.

Looking forward to your fix. :popcorn:

Yeah the lighting in QC hid it well, it was only when it went into the modders hand did it come to light. Others don't seem anywhere near this bad. May take the risk and see if I can seperate the bezel and join it back together but if not, I'll see if my TD can grab me a spare insert as it's perfect outwith that

Reactions: GottaHave

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yeah the lighting in QC hid it well, it was only when it went into the modders hand did it come to light. Others don't seem anywhere near this bad. May take the risk and see if I can seperate the bezel and join it back together but if not, I'll see if my TD can grab me a spare insert as it's perfect outwith that

A paint mod will just accentuate the flaws and make it look worse. Here's an old Noob with bad joints after being paint modded.

ZC1LlR.jpg

I highly doubt you would be able to separate the insert halves. Most likely epoxy was used. Even getting a pearl cup out of a Sub insert without cracking it is challenging. A Noob insert is an easy fix if you like it. Last time I tried to get a VRF insert they weren't selling them separately, but things do change. The ROF Pepsi insert is another possibility.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
A CF LN insert would look great too, I know it's not for everyone. Mine is not a CF but the design idea is a good one IMO.

16071289159141.jpg

Reactions: tdx18

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
A paint mod will just accentuate the flaws and make it look worse. Here's an old Noob with bad joints after being paint modded.

Would that rule out a spongebob platinum mod then mate?

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18

ZC1LlR.jpg

I highly doubt you would be able to separate the insert halves. Most likely epoxy was used. Even getting a pearl cup out of a Sub insert without cracking it is challenging. A Noob insert is an easy fix if you like it. Last time I tried to get a VRF insert they weren't selling them separately, but things do change. The ROF Pepsi insert is another possibility.

From closer inspection I think the parts weren’t glued flush, there is a slight ridge/overlap of the red part onto the blue, which creates the gap. I have an option of a Noob insert so I may just try and experiment and if it breaks, it breaks. Will see if TD can show a picture to factory and they might sell me a replacement, it’s annoying but not end of world.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Would that rule out a spongebob platinum mod then mate?

Spongebob can do some amazing things like grind down the speed bumps some. Making gaps or unevenness disappear, not so much. If you're spending $200 on a platinum mod, I would want to begin with a perfect insert. I've seen some Spongebob mods on imperfect inserts and they can still look imperfect. No point in throwing good money after bad IMO.

Here's one he did for me, what a beauty.

O7RG4.jpg

Reactions: GottaHave

stevier88

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/12/19
U.K
Spongebob can do some amazing things like grind down the speed bumps some. Making gaps or unevenness disappear, not so much. If you're spending $200 on a platinum mod, I would want to begin with a perfect insert. I've seen some Spongebob mods on imperfect inserts and they can still look imperfect. No point in throwing good money after bad IMO.

Here's one he did for me, what a beauty.

O7RG4.jpg

Exact same insert I have with him just now for my blusey franken! I wanted to see if he could do the vrf insert which isn’t as bad as scotty’s, speed bumps are minimal but feel the engraving colours could be much better. Noob insert engravings on the vrf would be the best of both I think.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Exact same insert I have with him just now for my blusey franken! I wanted to see if he could do the vrf insert which isn’t as bad as scotty’s, speed bumps are minimal but feel the engraving colours could be much better. Noob insert engravings on the vrf would be the best of both I think.

Does he doing rosegold too?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

You might try a Molotow paint mod first if your speed bumps aren't too bad. The new "marker flooding" technique I just discovered is pretty good for a quick inexpensive upgrade.

Ceramic insert paint mod

KJ2020 Paint Mod

The blue Sub insert is shown next to a stock CF V3, the black Sub is an RXF

Zpsign.jpg

Zpsa4E.jpg

ZpsW12.jpg

ZQD47S.jpg

ZQDwrW.jpg

ZtGaNK.jpg

ZtGWt8.jpg

ZtGUeR.jpg

Reactions: stevier88

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Probably going to source a new VRF after CNY to fix that bezel as there's no way mine should be so bad, in saying that if anyone is fitting a noob bezel to theirs and has a VRF bezel spare that doesn't have really bad speedbumps, let me know and I'll take it off your hands:cool:

BlackIceBob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/14
Survived another day without people noticing my 'instant tell' Pepsi :megalol: Loving this thing!

My camera still can't quite accurately capture the colors, as it's much more burgundy red in person.

It’s freaking gorgeous!!! I love it—although it would look better on MY wrist! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Does the VRF bezel made with gen spec having the insert snaps onto it? Or if the insert is glued onto the bezel?
How do you remove the insert from the bezel? Use a razor to pry it off? In gen GMTs there are slot openings on the bottom of the bezel for pushing the insert out by using a special tool. ARF GMTs have this same bezel construction as per gen.

Also wondering if Noob can make a V11 batman housing a VR3185, why can't they do the same for their pepsi's?

kevBquick

9/10/18
Does the VRF bezel made with gen spec having the insert snaps onto it? Or if the insert is glued onto the bezel?
How do you remove the insert from the bezel? Use a razor to pry it off? In gen GMTs there are slot openings on the bottom of the bezel for pushing the insert out by using a special tool. ARF GMTs have this same bezel construction as per gen.

Also wondering if Noob can make a V11 batman housing a VR3185, why can't they do the same for their pepsi's?

it has double sided tape.

you just remove the bezel. then take a small flat head screwdriver/razorblade and run through the middle of the insert where the insert gasket is....pull that our and slowly work your way around the insert. you can get this done in 15 seconds. once you know what your doing. you lift up a big as you run your flat edge tool inside...lift up a bit...work your way around and don't put too much pressure on it. you will see. i have a GMF insert on my VRF max right now since i cracked my first one. because i swapped with a clark crystal...there are variances. and i presssed my bezel with insert in and it cracked. once i get my new VRF insert i will remove the bezel...set another double sided tape in....press the bezel in. then do the insert but getting the crystal in was the best mod. my watch is currently at 0/sec a day. which is great.

yes the ARF is pressure fit...i can still remove mine this way.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

VRF insert is not pressure fit like gen

Safest insert removal would be to remove the bezel first then use a heat gun or soapy water soaking to soften up the glue. Don't use an ultrasound cleaner or any other solutions like alcohol for this as it can harm the marker fill.

Then use a toothpick to push the insert up above the bezel rim from the inside of the bezel. Insert it between the insert and bezel and carefully begin pushing the insert up. Once there is a gap between the insert underside and the bezel rim, insert a thin sturdy piece of plastic in the gap from the the outside and work it around to separate the insert from the bezel. A dial protector works well for this. You can use a razor blade also but take care not to scratch up the bezel rim.

The bezel well should be thoroughly cleaned before installing a new insert. WD-40 or Goof off work well to eat through remaining glue. Then running just the bezel through an ultrasound returns it to optimal condition. Press the bezel back onto the case before installing a new insert (preferred), or use a die than contacts the bezel only and misses the insert completely.

VRF GMT bezel

ZPhRx4.jpg

ZPhNdj.jpg

Of course Noob can make a VR3185 Pepsi. They are not because they have the best selling Pepsi insert atm and they can get away with gouging customers TWICE for the privilege of owning one. The watch itself is $200 more than the BLNR and LN, plus the 2824 CHS timebomb is worth about $75 less than VR3185. Double bonus for Noob!

You can now buy a Noob insert separately so you can avoid the double gouging and the timebomb movement with some hybrid building.

Last edited:
Reactions: srhoque

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
VRF insert is not pressure fit like gen

Safest insert removal would be to remove the bezel first then use a heat gun or soapy water soaking to soften up the glue. Don't use an ultrasound cleaner or any other solutions like alcohol for this as it can harm the marker fill.

Then use a toothpick to push the insert up above the bezel rim from the inside of the bezel. Insert it between the insert and bezel and carefully begin pushing the insert up. Once there is a gap between the insert underside and the bezel rim, insert a thin sturdy piece of plastic in the gap from the the outside and work it around to separate the insert from the bezel. A dial protector works well for this. You can use a razor blade also but take care not to scratch up the bezel rim.

The bezel well should be thoroughly cleaned before installing a new insert. WD-40 or Goof off work well to eat through remaining glue. Then running just the bezel through an ultrasound returns it to optimal condition. Press the bezel back onto the case before installing a new insert (preferred), or use a die than contacts the bezel only and misses the insert completely.

VRF GMT bezel

ZPhRx4.jpg

ZPhNdj.jpg

Of course Noob can make a VR3185 Pepsi. They are not because they have the best selling Pepsi insert atm and they can get away with gouging customers TWICE for the privilege of owning one. The watch itself is $200 more than the BLNR and LN, plus the 2824 CHS timebomb is worth about $75 less than VR3185. Double bonus for Noob!

You can now buy a Noob insert separately so you can avoid the double gouging and the timebomb movement with some hybrid building.

are the noob inserts now better?
or do they still have the red/bleu line in the middle off the 8

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
KJ2020 Thanks for your tutorial for the insert removal. Very informative indeed.
BTW, can the GMT insert on the ARF be removed in the same way?