• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New VRF Pepsi GMT Max

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
This thing looks so freakin great. I am impressed!! Seems like a crystal swap and should be good to go. Maybe could use better hands but I know I wouldn't complain.

how do you guys feel about the hands in real life? How does the bracelet quality feel?

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
ZOsgfp.jpg

IMG_20201214_195001.jpg

Some more sunset photos and a brief review; I'm honestly amazed how great this thing looks in person and the photos really don't do it justice. VR3185 is a decent platform though although it's obviously not "same adjusting as genuine" as TD websites will tell you. (Gen = rotating crown anti-clockwise advances the hands / jumps hour hands forwards)

Surprisingly the transition speedbumps are much more visible on the TD websites than they are taking decent photos.

My only real complaints with the watch is the crystal clarity, the clasp action on the bracelet feels somewhat stiff and the rehaut engraving is pretty trash, but for a V2 (VRF Max or whatever you wish to call it) I think it's a great rep. My first photo of my first post is really how it looks indoors, albeit the blue isn't quite as dark.

After reading some good reviews I’ve picked up a couple of Clark crystals from eBay, try leaving the bracelet in baby oil overnight it may make it feel not so stiff

Reactions: Fervid and MIA6268

Fervid

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/19
Down under
This thing looks so freakin great. I am impressed!! Seems like a crystal swap and should be good to go. Maybe could use better hands but I know I wouldn't complain.

how do you guys feel about the hands in real life? How does the bracelet quality feel?

The bracelet jubilee feels great but the clasp action is a bit rough but firm. Maybe I need to take some more shots of the hands but honestly I think they're fine.

Reactions: WatchaholicMallorca

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Although I know these are not fair comparison shots due to different angles, lightings, MK1, MK2, MK3, etc...

Here they are anyways, it's just for fun guys so relax and don't shoot me LOL

VRF shots are by SvnNZ , Gen is from random shots I found on google, Noob is mine although it's been sold to another member now.

ZO0GTv.jpg

ZO0FqK.jpg

Last edited:

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
ZO0g9X.jpg

ZObDsi.jpg

Some more shots, honestly the blue is so dark in person and the photos really don't do it justice, looks stunning in person.

Love how the lighting really plays with the bezel

I think is a great rep, your pics make me sure to pull the trigger and I think a Clark glass, or maybe a gen one, will be the only mod to obtain an amazing piece.

Reactions: Neo_7 and Fervid

mightysigs

Horology Curious
24/6/19
As more pictures are posted, I am more tempted to get this rep. Planning to order a Clarks crystal to get this modded when I get one but not sure my local watch service centers would handle it nicely. Do you guys do the modding on your own? I am from PH and uncertain if there are rep friendly centers around. :)

Neo_7

Follow the white rabbit
Certified
12/10/19
EU
How is the bracelet quality ?? Is it solid gen-like or flimsy?

Blackcalf

Known Member
5/6/17
Madrid
Hi
I have a noob version with wrong bezel union and just received VR, looks fine but maybe crystal is not so good. Can you give me an advice what parts have I get from both to make a good one?

Enviado desde mi LIO-L29 mediante Tapatalk

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
This one's. Is it easy to replace entire movement with a dial from VR to noob and replace bezel insert?
What will you recommend?

24f158d45cfa088bf1c26f10e4950fa6.jpg

Nice set of pepsi twins! What are you hoping to do with them? If you want the VR movement, dial, and insert, what do you need from the Noob? Keep in mind the Noob case has the incorrect crown/stem height and slightly incorrect shape CGs. You're better off keeping the VRF parts in the VRF case and just replacing the crystal with a new one, not the one from the Noob. The cheapest option is a Clark (under $30) but it will not have the LEC. You could probably ask any TD to get you a better crystal with LEC, like one from Noob or another maker.

Etretic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/1/17
Australia
Would you guys recommend a Clark crystal or shelling out for a Prof or even a gen? Which one seems to be the best bang for buck?

harmeetjollyy

7/8/16
This one's. Is it easy to replace entire movement with a dial from VR to noob and replace bezel insert?
What will you recommend?

24f158d45cfa088bf1c26f10e4950fa6.jpg

The top one is vrf and below is noon Wright?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Would you guys recommend a Clark crystal or shelling out for a Prof or even a gen? Which one seems to be the best bang for buck?

Only one thing is for sure: the VRF crystal is garbage. At less than 30, it would be hard to beat Clark if "bang for your buck" is the deciding factor. The AR on the clark is maybe a little more blue than on gen, but it's hard to see even head-to-head. Check out the comparison kennygconspiracy did. You could also get the non-AR version, which is correct for some gens. A second-hand crystal from the parts section is also a good option, as long as it's not another VRF.

Gen is gen--it's probably objectively crazy to pay hundreds of dollars for any gen part, but hunting one down and knowing that part of a build is perfect is just the strange fun of a franken. A lot of people find Prof to be a good middle ground, but having played with Prof and Noob sub crystals side by side, I never saw enough of a difference to make a Prof worth it, especially since a Prof won't have the LEC.

Reactions: rabl253 and Fervid