• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hulk Battle - ZF vs ZZF vs VSF

Quinto

18/10/20
bf7e1013f54a711ee3ea02161dd7c42e.jpg

2394688628acb80a37af499a05b64f9b.jpg

5053dbe02fbcc07970ef8bdfeb7f2d22.jpg

Reactions: Tete

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
First of all, many thanks for this great review

Second, IMO all dials are not perfect compared to gen. On top of that, each manufacturer has its own pros and cons but it is awesome to see, how good the Hulk OOB reps got
By the way, do all of them use VR3135?

Third, some time ago I decided to built my own Franken. If I would have to chose now, I would probably go with ZZF and VSF to make a hybrid out of both.

My specs:
- Noob v9 case
- Gen bezel assembly
- Gen insert
- Gen crystal
- Gen Date
- Gen Tube (glued)
- Gen Crown
- Gen hand set
- Noob v7 bands (really great IMO)
- Noob v6s clasp (so far still best one)
- CF dial (best dial markers, but too light in sunlight)
- VR3135 stock (best 3135 I had - apart from gen)

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I’ve got a few gen pieces, I had a gen Hulk earlier this year but sold it to fund my FG Sub.

I took receipt of my VSF last week and I’ll echo what a few other gen owners have pointed out. I personally don’t focus too much on the photos comparisons that members are curating reviews from off the web, for me it really just comes down to how the reps feel when your handling them and what they look like side by side to the real deal on a coffee table or the wrist.

The VSF Hulk is a fabulous rep.

--->The only things I would point out:
1. The pearl is ever so slightly darker than the dial markers and hands. Photos don't pick it up well but colours different in real life.

2. Rehaut engraving has some letters that dont line up 100% with dial minute markers but we’ve confirmed in a few other threads (with photos) that the gen counterparts are the same way. Not really worth beating this up over and over...some earlier VSF reps were worse than others. Mines from the newer batch and looks great.

3. Crystal has come up on and off - again next to my gen pieces the VSF is incredibly good it’s NOT worth changing. Black hole, colour, shape and magnification looks very good.

4. 904 case, SEL and bracelet are incredible don’t touch them. CG's looks the same as me FG as far as I can tell.

5. Some have pointed out VSF dial feature and characteristics that relate to colour changing and the sunburst "dont look gen". Imo the design of the dial in terms of colour and print quality is excellent, no one will ever look at your watch and say your dial looks like a replica dial. You can keep sticking photos next to each other and saying theyre different but the reality with these sunburst dials is the colour changing is really organic and is heavily persuaded by lighting and angles.

--->Now what’s worth fixing:
There were some minor details that did bother me so I sent my watch to Misiekped last week to resolve the following...
1. Hands being replaced with gen hands. As some have said the quality of the VSF cutting and proportions isn’t right. I was going to try and live with it but I couldn’t take the wavy cut hands catching light in different angles.

2. Rep date disc is actually very good but the dates in my eyes still sit ever so slightly high (next to my gen 16710 and 116618). I’m having a gen disc mounted along with the date change assembly.

In the end the things worth fixing weren't mandatory but I was getting the VS3135 overhauled anyway so I said what the hell its Christmas lets spend some money.

If your looking for a great out of the box Hulk rep this ones a good choice. In the end if someone is really good enough to look at your dial and say your Hulk is fake just bust out the matching warranty card from your wallet and tell them to fly a kite.

Some photos of my watches for added context attached.
My gen Hulk and Bluesy:

8b6f82cec1a33b1e21423a7656c1f3c0.jpg

78b184f67930d217e0c424aa89432913.jpg

VSF Hulk next to gen GMT and FG Sub. I had Rolex upgrade the crystal to a C12 on the GMT:
134934d6b5b9645a08b4a9e241da6996.jpg

361055e3d136b3fb04dae13c01b065cf.jpg

773d4c19cb837edef06a15c3e82175e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VaderTime

9/10/17
I’ve got a few gen pieces, I had a gen Hulk earlier this year but sold it to fund my FG Sub.

I took receipt of my VSF last week and I’ll echo what a few other gen owners have pointed out. I personally don’t focus too much on the photos comparisons that members are curating reviews from off the web, for me it really just comes down to how the reps feel when your handling them and what they look like side by side to the real deal on a coffee table or the wrist.

The VSF Hulk is a fabulous rep.

--->The only things I would point out:
1. The pearl is ever so slightly darker than the dial markers and hands. Photos don't pick it up well but colours different in real life.

2. Rehaut engraving has some letters that dont line up 100% with dial minute markers but we’ve confirmed in a few other threads (with photos) that the gen counterparts are the same way. Not really worth beating this up over and over...some earlier VSF reps were worse than others. Mines from the newer batch and looks great.

3. Crystal has come up on and off - again next to my gen pieces the VSF is incredibly good it’s NOT worth changing. Black hole, colour, shape and magnification looks very good.

4. 904 case, SEL and bracelet are incredible don’t touch them. CG's looks the same as me FG as far as I can tell.

5. Some have pointed out VSF dial feature and characteristics that relate to colour changing and the sunburst "dont look gen". Imo the design of the dial in terms of colour and print quality is excellent, no one will ever look at your watch and say your dial looks like a replica dial. You can keep sticking photos next to each other and saying theyre different but the reality with these sunburst dials is the colour changing is really organic and is heavily persuaded by lighting and angles.

--->Now what’s worth fixing:
There were some minor details that did bother me so I sent my watch to Misiekped last week to resolve the following...
1. Hands being replaced with gen hands. As some have said the quality of the VSF cutting and proportions isn’t right. I was going to try and live with it but I couldn’t take the wavy cut hands catching light in different angles.

2. Rep date disc is actually very good but the dates in my eyes still sit ever so slightly high (next to my gen 16710 and 116618). I’m having a gen disc mounted along with the date change assembly.

In the end the things worth fixing weren't mandatory but I was getting the VS3135 overhauled anyway so I said what the hell its Christmas lets spend some money.

If your looking for a great out of the box Hulk rep this ones a good choice. In the end if someone is really good enough to look at your dial and say your Hulk is fake just bust out the matching warranty card from your wallet and tell them to fly a kite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review.....and now I want a vsf hulk with gen hands, dw, crystal......:laugh:

Btw, do you know if the gen tube will directly fit onto the vsf case?

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19

One member tried to explain it a while ago but went unnoticed seems.

Gens never have misaligned rehaut they may have tilted dial its either to the left or to the right a bit. Can be fixed by rotating the dial and all will line up.

VSF has misaligned rehaut meaning your coronet is dead center but first R is totally off and rotating dial will not fix anything makes all else off if you line up the first R. The spacing is wrong between the letters that's the issue.

I'm not saying its a big issue just explaining when people say gens have the same issue they don't. Gens can have the coronet not lined up and but not like VSF coronet dead center and first letter totally off.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Gens never have misaligned rehaut they may have tilted dial its either to the left or to the right a bit. Can be fixed by rotating the dial and all will line up.

Now this is a completely fake news.
Many, many genuine Rolex’s have a dead centered rehaut with a misaligned coronet at 12. So tilting the dial would do nothing more than centering the coronet and put off center every other letter.

It’s a “defect” acknowledged by Rolex itself.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Now this is a completely fake news.
Many, many genuine Rolex’s have a dead centered rehaut with a misaligned coronet at 12. So tilting the dial would do nothing more than centering the coronet and put off center every other letter.

It’s a “defect” acknowledged by Rolex itself.

Show me one of the many many.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
These are all the tilted dials that I was talking about.

You can clearly see how in many of them the whole letters on rehaut are centered while the coronet is not. Like, clearly.

The issue is aknowledged by Rolex itself, forums are full of people who sent their watches back and got them with the same problem, with a note by Rolex saying there’s some tolerance where they don’t consider it a defect.

Google gives you back 1.000.000.000 results in less than 0.0000001 secs if you search “rolex misaligned rehaut”, I’m pretty confident you’re able to find many more pics than the ones I posted ;)

Reactions: Rel and Jayalvin777

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
You can clearly see how in many of them the whole letters on rehaut are centered while the coronet is not. Like, clearly.

The issue is aknowledged by Rolex itself, forums are full of people who sent their watches back and got them with the same problem, with a note by Rolex saying there’s some tolerance where they don’t consider it a defect.

Google gives you back 1.000.000.000 results in less than 0.0000001 secs if you search “rolex misaligned rehaut”, I’m pretty confident you’re able to find many more pics than the ones I posted ;)

Its just the angle playing tricks they all look misaligned at some point of the rehaut if its not a direct top down photo.

Im not saying I’m 100% correct but the ones you sent are all tilted dials.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Its just the angle playing tricks they all look misaligned at some point of the rehaut if its not a direct top down photo.

Im not saying I’m 100% correct but the ones you sent are all tilted dials.

These are all pics from rolexforums, owners from various threads continuously report problems like this and are all clearly stating it’s only the coronet being misaligned.

I won’t bother arguing anymore, do your own research mate. I’ve had enough of them in my hands and can only confirm what they all say.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
The conversation is silly and needs to move on.

Yes. There are errors - not just alignment - on genuine Rolex rehauts as discussed at length on the various forums.

Arguing about this is like arguing about if water is wet.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
No question here that Rfac products have a lot of the QC issues considered intolerable on reps. But for what it's worth, a lot of seemingly-impossible alignment issues can be fixed by moving the dial up/down instead of rotating it, or rotating one side more than the other. If that sounds impossible, consider that there is play between the case and movement/dial assembly (at least on a rep). On my VRF, I could hold the dial against the top of the dial wall, keeping the coronet at 12, then nudge the bottom of the movement, which properly aligned the rest of the markers and rehaut letters. I wouldn't bet money on it, but figure the same is true for plenty of reps--and maybe gens, although I assume they have tighter tolerances.

Snookit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/17
Hey guys! Today I was using my old noob v9 (seems like that was a long time ago with this new versions every month) and I went into the dark and the lume is so poor.
How’s it on this new watches? No one talks about it, that’s why I am wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI