• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116610LN - down to VSF and ZZF v3. Ultimate winner?

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
My gen is like that. Bet your ass i didn't reject it. i grabbed it with both hands graciously delighted that they had chosen to sell one to me.

Substar

16/9/20
Would you guys reject cause of this rehaut?

Man, everything seems so spot on except for this. Makes this decision really hard.

Common zzf issue. Accept and realign the dial if it bothers you once received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
Would you guys reject cause of this rehaut?

Man, everything seems so spot on except for this. Makes this decision really hard.

Nope many gens are like this. It isnt only a rep fault at all. Its common in rep and gen watches.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Sorry, I beg to differ, the difference is real. If it were the same, there would truly be 1:1 reps.

Sure, you can disagree, but i'm talking about the way the gen "shines", it shines just like any other high end rep, you think it shines more just because you know it's gen. It has nothing to do with being 1:1 or not, since we know no rep is 1:1

NFleischer

I'm Pretty Popular
9/12/08
I would agree, now that a number of factories are using 904L SS, the gap has closed between the rep and Gen shine and finish. For example I'm looking at my Gen DJ 36mm which is 13 years old vs. my ARF DJ 41, less than 1 year. The finish and shine on the ARF is close, but Gen bezel, for example, has a real mirror finish.

Reactions: Tete

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I would agree, now that a number of factories are using 904L SS, the gap has closed between the rep and Gen shine and finish. For example I'm looking at my Gen DJ 36mm which is 13 years old vs. my ARF DJ 41, less than 1 year. The finish and shine on the ARF is close, but Gen bezel, for example, has a real mirror finish.

Finishing has gotten better, that's it. It has nothing to do with 904L which is a gimmick.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

Neil McCauley

Supporter
Certified
19/10/20
Germany
I think people who have reps know more about the flaws to spot a fake as the owners of the real ones ????

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Neil McCauley

Supporter
Certified
19/10/20
Germany
The green of the hulk is really heavy to fake but a black submariner for example from ZZF where the crystal is nearly the same height of the bezel is absolutely amazing and I think outside nobody will spot it as a fake.

When you mod a gen Crystal and Date wheel with brushing the case and bracelet you are 90% gen like.

Every factory seems to have his own flaws so modding is the first step in my opinion for having a nearly genuine like watch especially Rolex models ;)

peterpl

24/7/11
The green of the hulk is really heavy to fake but a black submariner for example from ZZF where the crystal is nearly the same height of the bezel is absolutely amazing and I think outside nobody will spot it as a fake.
When you mod a gen Crystal and Date wheel with brushing the case and bracelet you are 90% gen like.
Every factory seems to have his own flaws so modding is the first step in my opinion for having a nearly genuine like watch especially Rolex models ;)

I dont even know how you can say things like the green is very heavy fake when there are literally pictures of the VSF/ZZF and Gen right next to each other and they all look very very similar. The slight variations in dials you will NEVER EVER be able to tell without a gen right next to it to compare. Holding a ZZF or VSF by itself your never going to tell ever.

Neil McCauley

Supporter
Certified
19/10/20
Germany
I can say that because I saw a real Hulk in Sunlight outside and there is a difference if you know that.
Otherwise if someone don’t know much about reps like the most real sub owners outside do, nobody will spot it.

People who have a real one and know how it feels but I think in colours to see the difference is more difficult than to Tuch it and feel the shape.

We talk about 500$ reps for this budget ist fantastic but to say it’s gen like I think there we are miles away

Reactions: Tete

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I dont even know how you can say things like the green is very heavy fake when there are literally pictures of the VSF/ZZF and Gen right next to each other and they all look very very similar. The slight variations in dials you will NEVER EVER be able to tell without a gen right next to it to compare. Holding a ZZF or VSF by itself your never going to tell ever.

Sorry - that is just incorrect.

So for the whole green issue - I've illustrated this before, but it gets easily lost. Here it is again.

Eyes are more sensitive to green than any other colour.
This is because of evolution and how cones and rods work. I won't bore you with it. You can google it if you're interested.

Technology works in a different way.
So look at this pic - It represents all the greens the human eye can see - the biggest curvy triangle. It also shows the number of greens you can see on a pc screen / smartphone. These colours are in the little white triangle - sRGB. So your device simply cannot show the variation of greens (brighter and more intense) that your eye can see. It is true that some screens can show more colours than others, but this is usually by 'stretching' the sRGB data out again - not relevant here.

What happens when you try and photograph a shade of green outside of the sRGB triangle?
Well, basically the camera will 'crush' the colour to the closest match within the sRGB triangle. (Some cameras can shoot in Adobe RGB, which is better - but you won't see the benefit on your screen / the forum - thank you HP and Microsoft for standardising a crap format.) Different cameras will do this in a different way. Camera sensors need to do this because 1. the sensor cant see colours as well as you eyes anyway, and 2. there's no point because some colours cannot be shown on a screen or printed.

I hope this shows why photographs on a forum are not a good way of showing the colour of the watch, or colour comparisons with other versions, and why greens which can be quite different to the eye will look the same in a photograph.

CIExy1931-Adobe-RGB-vs-s-RGB.png

Last edited:

Neil McCauley

Supporter
Certified
19/10/20
Germany
Best way would be if everyone who’s interested can see live the rep and the genuine Hulk but that’s more a dream for a lot of people than reality.

By the way to avoid this I would go with the Black submariner from ZZF, brush it & change crystal to genuine ( Black hole) genuine Datewheel if necessary and you have a 90% genuine like Sub for round about 1000$. You are 7000$ under the Price from a genuine and have no problems with people who spot the green :D :D

peterpl

24/7/11
Sorry - that is just incorrect.

There are already side by side pics. Are you saying you can tell instantly without a side by side? LOL

If you can you would be in the minority meaning NO ONE in the wild will be able to tell if your wearing it at 3+ feet away.

I'll post my own comparison pics when I get the VSF to test this out. I have access to a gen LV from 2016.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
There are already side by side pics. Are you saying you can tell instantly without a side by side? LOL
If you can you would be in the minority meaning NO ONE in the wild will be able to tell if your wearing it at 3+ feet away.
I'll post my own comparison pics when I get the VSF to test this out. I have access to a gen LV from 2016.

If you read my quoted post, you would understand exactly why ‘side by side pics’ on a forum are not accurate, and are in fact misleading as a comparison. Do they look the same in some environments? Sure. In every environment? - 100% no.

I work on advertising campaigns - print and film. A big part what I do is colour work - how the colours of apparel and product translate to screen and print. Most colour differences don’t matter, some can be retouched or colour graded, and sometimes a product needs to be swapped out altogether if it can’t be shown accurately. So please lay off with the ‘LOL’s because I know what I’m talking about.

The insert on the VSF is an improvement over that used on the ZZF v2. Even if you can’t see it in a photograph. I suspect the ZF and ZZF v3 are similarly a great improvement, but I haven’t seen them yet. The VSF is still unlike the gen in direct / bright sunlight .

Last edited:

peterpl

24/7/11
^ OK all the power to you my man. I'm not going to go into that level of analysis nor do I care to be quite honest. If I cant tell with my naked eyes or I cant see the difference in side by sides I'm more than happy with a $400 rep. All I know is the VSF/ZZFv3 bezels look 1000x better than the Noob ones I used to buy. I think I've had Noob v3 all the way up to v8 and all of them where shit - then I just stopped buying them because all Noob were doing is releasing a tiny update and stuffing up something else and charging extra for really nothing.

Anyway if you do get into this level of analysis you will 100% see a difference. Same with my recent car respray that I had to get done from an accident. Its barely noticeable but there is a difference IF you know where to look and what to look for. From 3 feet away that difference disappears and thats on the entire side panel of a car. For a watch thats 40mm honestly I dont think it matters to this level.

As long as it looks good and its 90%+ to gen when its side by side you wont get much better from China.

Last edited:

Subdued

20/11/19
The comment above me is true. Comparing a newly arrived insert from old ones are bullshit :)