• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mini review ZZF v3 116610LV HULK, comparison with gen 116610LN

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Hi guys

With all these sub releases my head is spinning, and its getting a confusing and hard to choose. :)

Since i really liked my old ZZF v2.2 and liked how the quality matched my gens, i thought i would start with the v3.

Crystal: Good, a lot better than v2.2 but still no substitute for a gen. Not only does the gen crystal have better magnification, black hole effect ect. but it also makes the dial pop in a way i havent seen a rep crystal do. IMO always go gen crystal.

Inlay: I sadly don't have a gen hulk to compare it to, so i won't comment on the color. The platinum inlay looks good, nice/correct blend of white/platinum color and i see no difference compared to my gen.

Bezel: They redid the teeth on the v3 and they are a lot better. They now have the same "sharpness" as gen, and the shape looks pretty spot on to me. The bezel action is a tiny bit more firm then gen, but nothing you would notice day to day. (I'm sure you could benefit with gen click springs, but imo it's not important)

Dial: Again, sadly no gen Hulk to compare. But it looks like they toned down the sunburst effect since v2.2. It now looks less "harsh/sharp" and i like this better. The hour makers are 100% spot on compared to gen, and really captures the light. Text is imo perfect.

Datewheel: The font is SLIGHTLY thinner den my 2020 gen, but has the same thickness as my 2019 Batman 126710. Again, the gen crystal magnifies correctly, and i see no point in upgrading to gen datewheel

Hands: Well comparing to gen, i think they are 99% there. The balance on the second hand looks a tiny bit flat, other then that, i can't tell a difference. Size and proportions compared to a gen 2020 is spot on.

Crown: Winds in and out smoothly, maybe a fraction more rough on the nerling then gen.

Case: Maybe i'm going crazy, but the CG looks a bit better on the V3, but i'm not sure :) The brushing is not good (Pretty much all reps i've had have subpar brushing) Imo the whole 316 vs 904 discussion is ridiculous, it all comes down to the brushing. I reworked the case with Bergeon blocks to give it the same satin look as gen. (I think maybe even Tate would approve of the lug reflections now :) )

Bracelet/clasp: The v3 came with the new ARF developed bracelet, and i can confirm that the clasp look to be same quality/standard as an old ARF clasp. The bracelet had PERFECT SELs, 100% like gen. The clasp feels and functions like a gen glidelock. Again, the brushing is not good. I reworked the bracelet and clasp with Bergeon blocks to give it the same satin look as gen. I also did a repolish of the rehault, to give it a bit more shine as gen.

Movement: Running -1 second a day, and winds a bit rough, not as smooth as gen, and my old v2.2 was actually smoother.

Weight: Bracelet clasp, same as gen. Watchhead 1g less than gen.

Let me know if you have any question. The work done was installation of gen crystal and gasket, resetting bezel, greasing of all gasket and pressure tested to 6 ATM, bracelet and clasp has been rebrushed to "Gen spec" :) And repolish of the rehault.

My overall conclusion is that build quality is superb, and when i use this (And the old v2.2) in rotation with my gens, i really don't feel a difference. I have absolute no brand loyalty, and in a very near future, i will be testing out either the VSF, mostly for the movement or the ZF, mostly for the case and rehault.

This is exciting times for rep lovers, we might nitpick tine macro details, but the truth is, these watches are VERY good OTB. And for me, that extra bit of modding love i give them, makes them special :)

Pics in different light scenarios, and a couple of work in progress pics :)

VS gen

Work

Timewellspent

Renowned Member
2/4/13
South Florida
Great review, can someone give this guy a vsf and zf watch so he can compare lol

No sure if you have had arf before do you feel it’s necessary to do hands swap to gen or arf?
Also is bracelet really as good as arf?

mariot

22/2/19
very beautiful, in the photos you have already put the genuine crystal?

Last edited:

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Great review, can someone give this guy a vsf and zf watch so he can compare lol

No sure if you have had arf before do you feel it’s necessary to do hands swap to gen or arf?
Also is bracelet really as good as arf?

Thanks buddy :) Yeah, send them along and ill do a review :)

I did have ARF before and imo, no, it's not necessary. Maybe the black dial would benefit form gen white gold shine, but i don't feel like it would make a difference on the hulk. The hands are very good!

I actually preferred this new bracelet over the old ARF. The weight of the v3 was same as gen (ARF was 1g light) and the sel had a perfect fit to the case. Like i wrote, i don't like the brushing on either bracelet, so i rebrushed them. But i see no point in replacing the bracelet or clasp for an "old" ARF on the v3

CJS57

7/9/20
Thanks for the review! Especially because my brand new ZZFV3 hulk arrive just now. A very nice watch and like you I have a gen too. Mine is a 214060 so not a direct comparison. I put the gen in the safe and wear the reps.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Thanks for the review! Especially because my brand new ZZFV3 hulk arrive just now. A very nice watch and like you I have a gen too. Mine is a 214060 so not a direct comparison. I put the gen in the safe and wear the reps.

I do the same when i'm at our house in Mexico :)

GT3North

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/20
Awesome review. and nice work. Quick question, what did you use to polish the rehault?

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Awesome review. and nice work. Quick question, what did you use to polish the rehault?

Thx bud. Cape cod, did about 15-20 passes. Don’t get it to shiny :) I kept comparing to my gen, to get just the right amount of shine

GT3North

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/20
Perfect thanks. I will compare to my Gen. I never thought to polish the rehault.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Can edit your first post and make it more clear that crystal is gen? Otherwise great photos.

I literally write it 2 different times that crystal has been changed to gen :) Thanks buddy

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Perfect thanks. I will compare to my Gen. I never thought to polish the rehault.

One of the other members gave me this tip a while back, and it really does make a difference. Whit the level of subs atm it’s the small extra details that count :)

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Great work man! On the watch and on the side-by-side which shows how close the ZZF is!!

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
Great comparison review!

By the way, how is the quality of the case vs case? Is zzf case’s side feel sharp?

and for the bracelet, is the link gaps idential to gen? Thanks

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Great comparison review!

By the way, how is the quality of the case vs case? Is zzf case’s side feel sharp?

and for the bracelet, is the link gaps idential to gen? Thanks

Thanks buddy :)

The quality and feel is identical to gen, it does however need a rebrush IMO. But the tolerances at the SELs, backcase ect. Is outstanding. If only the CG was correctly shaped :)

I don’t see any difference, I did a comparison shot of the v2, arf and gen bracelet on the v2 tread. The difference on the bracelet is pretty much non existent. (except the brushing) The only thing that wasn’t good on the v2, was the clasp, but they definitely corrected that on the v3

Reactions: up2wind