• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs Rep Crowns (Rolex)

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
I'm planning some upgrades to my 126660 (Noob V10 2836), as the watchmaker will have it for other things anyway I'm thinking to upgrade the crown to a gen, I'm wondering what the actual differences are between gen and rep crowns?

Is it really just that "it's a gen part" or are there aesthetic or maybe even technical advantages?

Thank you.

Last edited:

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Another question based on the same theme:

If doing the crown is it a good idea to do the tube too, so they marry nicely? Or will the gen crown go onto rep tube with no issues? The tube is relatively cheap so probably worthwhile, is what I am thinking.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Technically speaking genuine parts are fabricated to a higher tolerance and finish. To the naked eye it may not be noticeable but the parts are higher quality. For something like the crown and tube, you will benefit from a better fit which will result in better water resistance performance.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Technically speaking genuine parts are fabricated to a higher tolerance and finish. To the naked eye it may not be noticeable but the parts are higher quality. For something like the crown and tube, you will benefit from a better fit which will result in better water resistance performance.

I didn't think about water resistance, that´s a good point. Thanks for commenting :)

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
It could pay to post the question in the tech section as there’s a tonne of info there and you may get a better response (not knocking the responses here of course!)

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20

Depends. It is really more about aesthetics and finish. The gen crown and tube feel more "edgy" but smoother. Doesn't make sense I know but that's how it is.

I installed gen crown on my daytona doesn't look any different but feels...softer I'd say.

Water resistance didn't change, still 100m.