• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Batman 3186 final sample

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
a good build in my opinion, after comparing them with mine, would be:

Base Watch ARF
Movement VR3185
Crystal gen

Saluti JD

Hi Johnny, it seems that ARF has something strange in the case construction (depth of rehaut? not sure about the details), and because of that when you install a gen crystal, the date magnification looks off. Have you found a way to fix this? I've always liked ARF build quality but that's something that has prevented me from buying their 116710 so far

Thanks!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
this is the photo of a gen, as you can see it also seems here that the black font is different from blue. it's just an optical effect due to the color difference. the insert is good in both font and color.
ac302977b1aad30428567f406770ff38.plist

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

The black area fonts looks a little different in color maybe due to lighting, which can make it appear slightly smaller. But it is not the same as the fonts actually being smaller, which is what I believe we are seeing with the ARF.

The font sizes on the gen you posted do not look like different sizes to me, if studied carefully and discounting any perceived lighting nuances.

ZASBI8.jpg

The ARF on the other hand presents an obvious size difference, even with much more even lighting than what your pic shows. Compare the sizes of the openings in the zero, and in the upper curve of the two. No way those are identical.

ZA4h0R.jpg

I would live to be proven wrong on this but the pics do not support that conclusion.

Last edited:

Clarkent

SuperfranKent®️
Gold Patron
Certified
12/9/19
Smallville
the printing of a font cannot be done half way and half way, we agree on this yes? it is an objective and not a subjective concept. in this case there can be two different types of reasons that can make the numerical font of the black part seem thinner: 1. the light + the inclination of the wrist create a shadow and make the numbers appear smaller. 2. the first paint made on the whole bezel is blue, the next one is black, consequently but black half moon has a double layer of paint (blue + black) that casts more shadow on the numbers and makes them look slimmer. that said, in my opinion the problem does not exist, the photos should be viewed in full light in order to see everything perfectly. congratulations to Puretime for the excellent work performed

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
Hi Johnny, it seems that ARF has something strange in the case construction (depth of rehaut? not sure about the details), and because of that when you install a gen crystal, the date magnification looks off. Have you found a way to fix this? I've always liked ARF build quality but that's something that has prevented me from buying their 116710 so far

Thanks!

the differences are normal. the gen and gen, I've always said that. you have to be careful of the suitable crystal, and use the stock gasket. to have a correct zoom and the position of the cyclop centered, as you can see from the photo above
This watch is ARF, with movement VR3185
And crystal gen.
f3ec052e51d09c77387bbdabdfe65444.jpg

Saluti JD

Reactions: Tobel and m5smg2

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
the printing of a font cannot be done half way and half way, we agree on this yes? it is an objective and not a subjective concept. in this case there can be two different types of reasons that can make the numerical font of the black part seem thinner: 1. the light + the inclination of the wrist create a shadow and make the numbers appear smaller. 2. the first paint made on the whole bezel is blue, the next one is black, consequently but black half moon has a double layer of paint (blue + black) that casts more shadow on the numbers and makes them look slimmer. that said, in my opinion the problem does not exist, the photos should be viewed in full light in order to see everything perfectly. congratulations to Puretime for the excellent work performed

What you say here is true for a gen insert, which is one piece. On a rep insert, it is not the same.

On a rep insert, I don't agree that the font sizes cannot be different on different halves. The halves are made separately either both the same thickness and glued together like the Noob Batman, or one half is thinner and laid on top of the other like the GMF Batman and Pepsi. So the halves are made separately, and in only one color, negating any ill effect of two color shadowing. Also they are made from different molds so would not have to contain identical size cutouts. Also, the marker cutouts have to be much more shallow on a thinner overlaid half, perhaps necessitating a thinner font.

Noob Batnan insert

NpHpb.jpg

GMF Pepsi insert

6QdkP.jpg

6QTzo.jpg

6Qp8D.jpg

Reactions: Tione12

Clarkent

SuperfranKent®️
Gold Patron
Certified
12/9/19
Smallville
and for what absurd reason should they make two different numerical prints? I repeat, in my opinion it is not so. according to my point of view, the bezel arf is made all blue or all black and then colored by the other half. having said that I consider this definitive arf to be the best bezel on the market (referring to the batman reference)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
On the GMF insert, the thin red upper half determined the font thickness and it was maintained throughout the blue half. I have never seen such a disparity in font sizes between upper and lower halves on any other insert rep or gen, like we are seeing on this ARF. In any lighting conditions.

xgHn2.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
adf5e0fb0199ed8ce720efaf166a3455.jpg

true, maybe rolex should turn to GMF

And maybe Noob should take some pointers from GMF

t1N6o.jpg

The Noob insert can be quite ugly in many lighting conditions. But hey all the fonts look the same size.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

Clarkent

SuperfranKent®️
Gold Patron
Certified
12/9/19
Smallville
they are both very bad. the paint of the font noob blows away with a gust of wind. we are far from "clean bezel" quality very far. it takes 200 euros of Spongebob work to make the Noob bezel "decent". regards

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
they are both very bad. the paint of the font noob blows away with a gust of wind. we are far from "clean bezel" quality very far. it takes 200 euros of Spongebob work to make the Noob bezel "decent". regards

It's an OK beater for no more than I have in it bro. Not like some awesome Frankens I know some people make, and buy. ;)

Maybe the ARF will be decent too.

GMF next to gen MK1, unfiltered pic.

ZAbyHS.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In this pic, I simply copied the 2 from the 12 and pasted it over the 2 in 22. No scaling whatsoever.

ZAbwob.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: leo6929

Clarkent

SuperfranKent®️
Gold Patron
Certified
12/9/19
Smallville
It's an OK beater for no more than I have in it bro. Not like some awesome Frankens I know some people make, and buy. ;)

Maybe the ARF will be decent too.

GMF next to gen MK1, unfiltered pic.

ZAbyHS.jpg

sorry man, but that gmf bezel is terrible

Wolex

7/2/20
Keep us posted on the reliability experience of owning and wearing this superb example. Many of us would be very interested in how reliable they can/can’t be.

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
With respect to the different font thickness, any chance it's a perspective issue? That is, we we looking a little more straight on the bottom side of the watch that the top? Giving us a thinner appearance of the upper numbers due to their depth?

Reactions: Muskandar

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
sorry man, but that gmf bezel is terrible

It depends on your perspective. If you are used to buying gen inserts, of course it's terrible. If you are relegated to living with rep factory offerings, it's not unpleasant to look at for many. The rep game is all about delusion after all. And how much you are willing to spend to reach your desired level of delusion.