• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Question for Gen Sub Owners

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
How did you get it? I've been on the waiting list (if that's even a thing) for 2.5 years. Did you go gray market? AD? Other?

Looking at some of these latest reps (ZZF, VSF) I'm starting to wonder why anyone would put up with this wait time.

n1co59000

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/5/19
you can buy a zzf while you have the GEN. Subscribe to the list of several stores, and you have to call regularly

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Chrono 24. It was 10% over MSRP. I wouldn't have done it if it were 2x msrp like it's the case for a Daytona but I was ok with a 10% premium to get it straight away instead of waiting 2years

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I bought mine in 2017, waited around 4 weeks with Watches of Switzerland.

Those were the days.

I was on the hulk waiting list for about 18 months before it was discontinued. Was offered a deep sea but no hulk.

Annoyingly when I bought my LN she said if I wanted the LV it would be a few more weeks but I was impatient.

The situation now is ridiculous.

I would much rather have a pre owned VC overseas then pay 12k for a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullshark

Looking Around
22/10/20
In my case I had really good rapport with my AD (c.2014) and was in the middle of a (non-watch) purchase. Owner of the shop pulled me aside and said he had a few items come in and was curious as to whether or not I was interested. Picked up an LN with no trouble at all.

Next AD was nowhere near as welcoming. I had moved across the country and decided to drop into a store to treat myself. Made a good amount of purchases with them including a few non-sport models and then asked about their Daytonas. When they realized I was serious, they told me they could put me on a list... it's been 4 years... kind of cut my losses since I am not going to spend a massive markup just to get a watch that I can now get from Noob with a pretty nice clone movement. Never saw a Sub in their case. They have this absolutely hideous YM2 though that they can't seem to get rid of.

Said chain of AD seriously play by Special Customer rules (where they won't even humor the notion of selling any old rando a steel sports model Rolex). Where I am currently the only options are to get on said AD's really close side (by making a large number of purchases of "junk" watches), buy used from a jeweler selling on consignment, go the GM/chrono24 way or go with a rep. I've pretty much dropped any interest in going with a gen moving forward and am switching to reps because I know the value of my time, and it's much better spent other ways than calling up an AD to "check in" as well as I don't feel like paying the markups on something that's pretty well copied. On a side note, it's funny because there was this one jeweler that specialized in extremely high-end watched out here that was much more forgiving when it came to prospective clientele - dropped in on a whim and ended up chatting watches with the watchmaker on site. Got to handle (read: try on) a handful of fun timepieces including a few extremely beautiful Patek.

Fireman6976

Known Member
1/9/20
I got my 114060 used in early 2017 for 5k cash. Had to negotiate down from 6k. Felt i got a good deal then...not great but good.

Now I look back and think i got the deal of a lifetime...but honestly before things went nuts, no date subs were being sold by ADs for 15 percent off.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My AD recently (Sep 1) quit keeping a list, one that I was on for 2 1/2 years for a Hulk. I overheard him explaining their sales method to a new customer. When they get a shipment with any sport models in it, they immediately begin calling past customers who have bought Rolexes from them and offer them the new stock. He said they usually sell out within a couple hours. So I guess I'm done buying gens.

Last edited:

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
I got my 126613lb in a week after turning down the black dial. Still waiting for the green bezel Cermit and am on 2 lists with purchase history at both. I honestly think it depends on the AD.

Basically what ive done is built my collection that i want, and when the gen comes it replaces the rep. Keeps me happy anyways and the reps are cool. I like the gens to have assets and a cool watch. Its a win win.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I got mine (16610LN and 116610LN) through eBay. I had the seller hand them over to a reputable retail watch dealer in my city, the watchmaker validated them and proxied the sale for me. He verified and confirmed them as healthy, I handed him the money, he gave me the watch and the money to the seller. Both Subs were initially DavidSW stock, who subsequently has a pretty decent listing. https://davidsw.com/watches/rolex/

If you aren't after Champagne and all the other frills that come with purchasing from an AD, and you dont' mind a pre-owned watch, I think this is an option.

Bullshark

Looking Around
22/10/20
If you aren't after Champagne and all the other frills that come with purchasing from an AD, and you dont' mind a pre-owned watch, I think this is an option.

Wait, they give champagne at some AD (I'd assume that Hing Wa Lee probably does this, but that's because David is all about putting on a show)? All I got was a copy of the receipt at mine out here (surprised they let me keep the warranty card, since I've heard of some AD refusing to hand the warranty card over for 1-2 years to prevent flipping on the GM).

chicago83

Known Member
19/1/09
I walked in was just "looking" tried one on... 30 minutes later I was out the door, purchase was super smooth. no issues what-so-ever. This was 4 yrs ago. A buddy of mine got one this yr and was on a 12 mo waitlist..When he told me that i didnt believe him at first...

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
When I worked in the City Of London 5 years ago they were in the window of several dealers. The no date cost £5000 and the date £5500. I was tempted but I'd see at least two submariners every day on my daily commute, far too ubiquitous for my liking.

Rolex really have managed to pull the wool over people's eyes with their tricks.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I might have got my 2021 sub at the end of Jan if the AD was open (bloody covid) based on buying a new Datejust and a new Speedmaster within the previous 4 months. I call the dealership regularly, always ask to speak to the same lady, in order to see when the next shipment is coming in and if they know what's in it, just to keep myself on their radar. Its a case of building a raport with your local store. Oh and it's easier to do this in a smaller, more provincial dealer than the London stores where such purchases would be irrelevant and a sub is a 16yo's birthday present. Also, try not to be a dick. If these people like you, they'll choose you over the countless entitled dicks they have to deal with.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
16610LN on eBay in 2015, 116610LN on eBay same year. Had both checked by a retail watchmaker, who held the watches and money, and then released the money to the seller and watch to me when I was satisfied. The eBay seller also had 15k+ reviews with 100 per cent overall, and had sold over 1500 watches. And, Sub reps weren't as good in 2015 as they are now (aside from the TC Sub).

I would only go through longstanding greymarker dealers on the Rolex Forum now.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I would only go through longstanding greymarker dealers on the Rolex Forum now.

totally agree. No guarantee a non-AD watchmaker would tell a VSF from gen these days.