• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VR3135 vs VS3135

edeneng

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/8/20
I just got my VSF 116610LN and while it looks good, I have some queries about the VS3135 movement, particularly the winding. I have a ZZF v2 with VR3135 movement and when you wind it, it has a mechanical clicking sound. However, that sound is not present (or rather very very soft) in the VSF's VS3135 winding action. Also in the ZZF VR3135, I can feel the mechanical click when you wind it but that is also not distinct in the VSF VS3135, it is very smooth and faint. Is this normal for all VS3135 and which one is it closer to the Gen as I have no point of reference personally.

Reactions: Rel

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Is this normal for all VR3135 and which one is it closer to the Gen as I have no point of reference personally.
I have a number of Subs with the VR3135 fitted, and one of them does a clicking thing when I wind and set the date/time on it. By "a clicking thing" I'm referring to a single click per revolution of the crown, rather than the constant faintly audible clicking that you'd expect to one degree or another from a watch when wound.

As it's the only one that does it, I'm guessing there's something mechanical that's not 100% "normal". So I'll send it for a service at some point.

aglove84

6/6/20
Has anyone noticed that when they fully wind their VS3135 it feels like it starts “slipping”? It’s hard to describe the feeling but something definitely changes once it’s been fully wound

LetMeHearItNow

Renowned Member
27/8/19
CONUS
Has anyone noticed that when they fully wind their VS3135 it feels like it starts “slipping”? It’s hard to describe the feeling but something definitely changes once it’s been fully wound

Is it slipping like you’re getting traction then you’re not then you are again, etc or does it feel more so like it’s spinning freely?

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
You nearly don't feel any "click" on gen.

Mine also do someting a bit weird when fully wind. I kinda feel it slipping avery full rotation of the crown that sound like a louder click. I open to check and i cannot see any wheels slipping. I suspect it's coming from the autowind.

techrigger

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
22/5/19
VSF crown action much closer to gen, auto winding works as it should, and the smooth action on the winder is the best yet , all you are feeling is the overwind working.. you shouldn’t need to wind it at all if worn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aglove84

6/6/20
Is it slipping like you’re getting traction then you’re not then you are again, etc or does it feel more so like it’s spinning freely?

yes precisely that. You get a beautiful clicky goodness until fully wound. Then you get traction and then it feels like it misses a few teeth before re engaging and then the same thing happens again. It doesn’t bother me. Just interesting to note

Last edited:

LetMeHearItNow

Renowned Member
27/8/19
CONUS
yes precisely that. You get a beautiful colicky goodness until fully wound. Then you get traction and then no traction and then traction again. Doesn’t bother me. Just interesting to note

Man... same here... can someone with a little more wisdom give their two cents? I have the same exact thing happening BUT with a TC LV and a BK WM9 YM, both of which have 2824 ETAs.

I thought it might be a keyless issue on my watches being older and all, but it’s a bit odd that it’s happening in the same circumstance to a much newer VR. Or a really unique coincidence.

edeneng

24/8/20
Wait so which one is supposedly closer to gen? The smooth and quiet one like VS3135 or the clicking one like VR3135?

nonox

30/3/12
Gen 3135 is smooth and silent, the click spring noise is very low

Reactions: Rel

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Man... same here... can someone with a little more wisdom give their two cents? I have the same exact thing happening BUT with a TC LV and a BK WM9 YM, both of which have 2824 ETAs.

I thought it might be a keyless issue on my watches being older and all, but it’s a bit odd that it’s happening in the same circumstance to a much newer VR. Or a really unique coincidence.

It is common solution in automatic watches - to prevent overwinding of the spring there is a clutch mechanism to release spring tension a bit every time it reaches full wind state.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Winding a fully wound watch will make the crown action feel absolutely terrible - regardless of the movement. Its disengaging from the winding mechanism to stop you breaking it. Don’t wind a watch unless it needs winding.

Reactions: johnlogan

yakuuu

Supporter
Certified
27/12/12
Do you guys know if we already have a source for the VS3135 movement alone?
Anyone ordered one from a TD or another source?

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Winding a fully wound watch will make the crown action feel absolutely terrible - regardless of the movement. Its disengaging from the winding mechanism to stop you breaking it. Don’t wind a watch unless it needs winding.

^^^This

If a watch is fully wound then why would anyone want to wind it more?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Autowind movements have a mainspring with a longer bridal (tail) that will slide along the inside of the barrel when the spring is full wound. It's a necessary feature due to constant winding from rotor rotation. On a watch with good quality parts, you should feel this slippage of the bridal along the barrel inner wall after the spring is fully wound. There should be no damage from doing this, though it is a useless effort. In reps, the cheap, dry mainspring can drag across a rough inner barrel wall and even grind away metal fragments that add to the rough feel. This can drag all the parts down going back to the crown resulting is intermittent grinding or stoppages. You could even damage some of the gears by forcing them.

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/making-mainsprings

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Autowind movements have a mainspring with a longer bridal (tail) that will slide along the inside of the barrel when the spring is full wound. It's a necessary feature due to constant winding from rotor rotation. On a watch with good quality parts, you should feel this slippage of the bridal along the barrel inner wall after the spring is fully wound. There should be no damage from doing this, though it is a useless effort. In reps, the cheap, dry mainspring can drag across a rough inner barrel wall and even grind away metal fragments that add to the rough feel. This can drag all the parts down going back to the crown resulting is intermittent grinding or stoppages. You could even damage some of the gears by forcing them.

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/making-mainsprings

And thats how you give a definitive answer

masterpiece777

17/6/19
EUROPE
Indeed. Definitively awesome. Thanks KJ2020

This is sir comes only with information and clear advice and he’s is doing it always in such a helpful and polite way,IMO this men should get an award for it really,many people give cocky reply’s without fundamental information why it’s like there saying.
he’s helping me out with good information which he also explain and showing with links and pictures.
Not trying to say everyone is not polite or cocky here are many other people who are giving such a great value to this community.
but he’s definitely in my top 3 with his knowledge and clear explanation and other fundamental information which shows why it’s the way to go..

maybe it’s because all my last builds are in the same range as his builds.
but he’s pointing me now already a couple times in the right direction!
:thanks::king: