• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any bracelet tips?

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I received a new ARF bracelet for Submariner today (E5N clasp code) and I have put it on my ZZF V2S Hulk. It does feel much better than the ZZF bracelet in particular the clasp is way ahead of ZZF's but still not quite genuine Rolex quality. The finish is still not quite there either compared to genuine. The links have sharp edges that you can shave a fingernail with. Does anyone have any tips to soften the burrs on the links? The genuine bracelet has (micro) chamfers on all the edges of the links, you can't really see the chamfers but they make the edges feel much softer to hand and you certainly cannot shave a fingernail with them.

Does anyone have any tips on softening the bracelet edges to a more genuine like finish? Any other bracelet tips? What's this mineral oil bath thing I heard of and how does that help?

Last edited:

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I just ordered a set of Bergeon 5444 fine and medium blocks, do do a bit of work on both gen and rep bracelets. It should be the closest thing to a gen brush you can do yourself with having expensive equipment. I’ll do a step by step in a couple of weeks.

on the edges I would do a slight polish with the 5444 fine, and then a cape cod polish

the whole mineral oil, baby oil, w40 bath, whatever oil ect. Well it’s a nice idea, but let’s be realistic, it’s oil and steel..... it’s not gonna do shit :)

give the bracelet a nice clean in soap and water, and if it feels a bit stiff, just wear it for a couple of weeks :)

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
the whole mineral oil, baby oil, w40 bath, whatever oil ect. Well it’s a nice idea, but let’s be realistic, it’s oil and steel..... it’s not gonna do shit :)

I've seen some people suggest a baby oil bath takes the sharpness off bracelet edges - clearly that is total BS because as you point out, baby oil v steel is only going to have one winner!

But don't discount baby oil baths to make a bracelet feel LOADS better in terms of the way it feels on the wrist. A good cleaning can help, but I've had bracelets that I've put through a couple of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner and they still feel rubbish. 24-48 hours in mineral oil and they're little nuggets of Gen loveliness!

Reactions: Doc_Savage

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I've seen some people suggest a baby oil bath takes the sharpness off bracelet edges - clearly that is total BS because as you point out, baby oil v steel is only going to have one winner!

But don't discount baby oil baths to make a bracelet feel LOADS better in terms of the way it feels on the wrist. A good cleaning can help, but I've had bracelets that I've put through a couple of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner and they still feel rubbish. 24-48 hours in mineral oil and they're little nuggets of Gen loveliness!

It just doesn’t makes sense to me. If anyone can explain the scientific reason why steel in any sense would be improved by an oil bath I’m all ears :) (I of course understand the lubricant benefits if the bracelet is stiff between the links)

I think it’s mostly a placebo effect :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ARBZ

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
(I of course understand the lubricant benefits if the bracelet is stiff between the links)

I think that's exactly what it is - no hocus pocus, just simple lubrication. Don't discount how effective that is in making the bracelet feel better on the wrist though,

Dralkan

Known Member
15/7/20
US - East
Oil baths work great for bracelets. I put a mason jar filled with baby oil in my ultrasonic to heat it up drop the bracelet in and let it sit in there for a few hours. Works wonders on a stiff bracelet.