• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to remove crown tube without grooves?

jam_27

When its too good to be true, its neither!
21/6/15
I have got a crown tube removal tool, but how to remove this crown tube without damaging it?
There are no grooves in it for the tool tip to catch on to

I do not want to damage the tube.

Thanks.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Just push it inside the tube and unscrew it. How difficult that can be?

jam_27

21/6/15
Just push it inside the tube and unscrew it. How difficult that can be?

It is not about the difficulty level, it is about not damaging the tube as I would like to reuse it.
The tube in my picture does not have the grooves (internal splines) like in this one or this one, so my tool tip has nothing to catch on to.

Last edited:

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Remove the gaskets first. Then it's a matter of a friction fit- you have to jamb something in there that you can turn counterclockwise and unscrew the tube out of there. A rat tail file works for me on these deals. Now if you want to reinstall the tube, the question is why are you removing it in the first place? But at any rate, maybe you run a tap thru there to clean the threads first and then it's the old friction fit to reinstall. Maybe you use a little of the thread locker compound to help keep it in there and watertight. Personally, I always remove the rep tube and go back with a rolex compatible tube and typically a gen crown, but it's up to you

jam_27

21/6/15
A rat tail file works for me on these deals. Now if you want to reinstall the tube, the question is why are you removing it in the first place?

Thanks. I will try out a rat tail file.

Now if you want to reinstall the tube, the question is why are you removing it in the first place?

It is a rep tube. I want to keep it for another build. Plan is to swap it with a gen 24-6000.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
For future reference and for anyone else reading, a 'Speed Out', sometimes called 'Easy Out' bit works great for this task. The reversed threads grip into the inside tube wall as you unscrew the tube from the case. I've never damaged a tube using this method.

https://www.harborfreight.com/screw-extractor-and-left-hand-drill-bit-combo-set-10-pc-61981.html

Would it be best to get a set with softer steel? This may be a silly question, but in my imagination I see these bits being made out of hardened steel, with additives like cobalt and stuff like that. Does cobalt harden the bits?

Sent from the RWI App

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
I found this on cobalt. It actually has a negative effect on the hardening process, but overall adds to hardness.
Here’s the link: https://www.ispatguru.com/cobalt-in-steels/

“Since Co has a negative effect on hardenability, it affects the hardening less than other elements.

The presence of Co in the steel improves its durability and hardness at higher temperatures, reduces the fall in hardness of austenite and ferrite under the influence of temperature increase, and therefore is used as a supplement to some grades of high speed steels and tool steels. It is also a component of creep resistant steels.

Co is a valuable alloying element for high speed tool steels. It has the effect of raising to softening temperature of ferrite so that tools made from Co bearing alloy steel can operate at high temperatures, maintaining their cutting capacity.”

———————
“Co increases hardness and allows for higher quenching temperatures during heat treatment. It intensifies the individual effects of other elements in steels with complex compositions”

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
KJ2020 has mentioned the best option in relation to reuse the tube. Small rat tail File is also another way

Easy outs are normally hardened because the need to slightly cut into the Broken screws and bolts they are intended to remove. I use a unified fine threaded set these will Leave minimal marks in the tube and if used properly will work like a charm, any type of easy out will work though.... it’s pretty much The only way if you don’t want to damage it. If you need to reuse the tube make sure when removing it from the easy out....make sure you grip it with plastic, aluminium or something soft enough to still grip the tube but not damage the thread. It really doesn’t take much force to remove the tube so there shouldn’t be any damage.

good luck

Reactions: KJ2020

jam_27

21/6/15
For future reference and for anyone else reading, a 'Speed Out', sometimes called 'Easy Out' bit works great for this task. The reversed threads grip into the inside tube wall as you unscrew the tube from the case. I've never damaged a tube using this method.

https://www.harborfreight.com/screw-extractor-and-left-hand-drill-bit-combo-set-10-pc-61981.html

Thanks. Not apt for this thread, but what is the correct grade of loctite (or any other glue folks use here) for holding the tube back in place and also the stem into the crown?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I use Locktite Blue 242 for tubes. I don't use it on stems, as fragile as they are I use GS Hypo cement on them.