• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Substantial Shoal of Subs

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Yes, the SUB BUG. Rolex diving tool watches are extremely addictive. And your collection is most impressive my friend.
Thank you for sharing and enjoy every single one of them beauties.
I'll see you at our weekly RAA (Rolex Addict Anonymous) meeting.

Reactions: p0pperini

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Outstanding collection!

I dare say there are those few of us that have ventured so far from the beaten path and survived long enough to share the beauty of such a detailed collection. It is truly an addiction that fuels a flame for such dedication to detail. A mania to be sure.
Congratulations and welcome to the Darkside.

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Excellent collection and excellent post. Great read. Thanks for sharing.

I can use this as ammo for my next purchases "see I don't have anywhere near the amount of watches these guys do"

Redheart

17/5/19
Thanks for this incredible post mate! I loved your TT! Especially the 16613 LN and the bluesy :) I want a bluesy so bad hehe.

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Nice collection, that's some proper photography as well. Whats your #2 and #3 favorite if you don't mind :thinking:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice collection, that's some proper photography as well. Whats your #2 and #3 favorite if you don't mind :thinking:
Thanks!

My favourites list changes frequently. It’s probably a symptom of my relatively short time into this watch obsession - my taste is still developing/maturing. That’s also the (well, one) reason why I’ve been buying watches like a thing possessed, as I’ve been getting hands-on with lots of different watches to literally get a feel for what I like most.

At the moment, the three Subs that get most wrist time are the 16613 LN, the late model Kermit, and 16800. But in a month, I bet that will change again!

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
[mention]p0pperini [/mention]

Just took the time to go through this, thanks for the write up, I enjoyed reading it.

One of my faves is the Swiss only 16610, some other nice pieces in there too.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Another fantastic presentation!! Did I read that correctly... eighty - as in 80 - watches??? Let's see - is there a level beyond "collector" ? Oh yes, I think it's called a hoarder!

(Full disclosure: I do know that word, having been a "collector" - ahem - of historical items for over 30 years) There are drugs for us, but why would we take them when this is so much fun?

Thanks to this presentation, I learned about the James Cameron Deep Sea Challenge watch. My lord, it's a monster of a watch; oversized (but a good match to J.C.'s oversized ego). Take two and a piece of rope, and you have numchuks!

One of the beautiful things about the rep world is that it accommodates the desires of differing personal tastes. There are those of us who have have a plethora of them in every iteration - from basic rep to quite passable ones, and those of us who have only a handful of super-frankened watches. I recalled you mentioning in one post something to the effect that you could not appreciate the need to put a gen movement in a rep watch - and I have to fight the desire to have them in mine! And it's all good - because we are still sharing the same hobby, we just have different endpoints in mind, and sharing and showcasing our reps makes for a broader experience.

I was always a "watch girl" - starting as a kid in the 70's when I drooled over the cheap "diving watches" on the black perforated straps that only the boys got to wear (in retrospect, I suppose they were imitating the Subs), then the early 80's with the plastic-bezeled Tag Heuer Formula 1 watches in the bright colors (I still have about 6 of them). Now I can indulge myself in the Rolex Sub world. I may spend ridiculous amounts on a super-franken, but I can totally rationalize it by noting that it's not a ridiculous amount times 2 or 3 on one from an AD!

This is a terrific forum and I am so glad I discovered it, I have been so happy to meet fellow enthusiasts/collectors/hoarders and leaned so much.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Woah, the best collection showoff I ever seen, impressive collection, superb pictures, nice writing, 5 stars thread!

Conjurer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/19
For a moment I thought I was reading a magazine! Great writing and awesome collection!! Seriously addictive to own and to watch ????
Btw the Tudor snowflake is stock JKF, right?

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Holy shitballs mate this is sublime!! Hopefully you got a great big cabinet they all fit in! Thanks for the amazing photo's and writeup!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Holy shitballs mate this is sublime!! Hopefully you got a great big cabinet they all fit in! Thanks for the amazing photo's and writeup!

Thanks Stuvetjee!

I'd love a nice cabinet, but every time I see something appropriate I decide I could spend the money on another watch instead... so they all continue to live in 12 slot watch boxes I get for £15 a time off eBay... :)

Reactions: Stuvetjee

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Wow this is great. I was never a submariner man, the dullard's choice, tool watch for tools by tools. etc, but seeing them all together like that I must admit to a level of intrigue.

I know the grip of collecting. My previous watch journey led me to watches from the former Soviet union of which I have acquired a couple of hundred over 8 years.

I had learned what I wanted to learn and had lost the spark. Now I have a handful of reps, GMTs in particular after I found RWI. I may just have to get one or two of these subs ... is the Bluesy Ray Winstone enuff? And a sixties littlenumber, nice and flat .....

Do you guys waterproof these? I would like to be able to take one of these to the seaside or on a boat if possible ....

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Congrats and thanks for sharing. I'm surprised you don't have a 6200.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk