• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alternative 16610lv

watchoself

3/6/20
UK
KJ I’ve gotta ask you sometime about your mention of using two gaskets with a gen crystal in a BP and the stair-step thing. It sounds like something I should learn about. I put a gen Xtal with stock BP gasket in a BP while I was testing out my new crystal press. Would be epic to understand a little more about how proper two gaskets would be by comparison on a BP.. sounds like I needs to learns me something nice as I learn to use this thing more and more

This worked for me with JF16610 thanks to a persistent watchmaker - passed 5ATM

Sent from the RWI App

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Oh cheers watchoself & kJ! I think I’ll be keen to have another look at mine in the morning and see if I can visually see for myself how one bp gasket alone could be better improved if someone wanted to keep a gen xtal long term etc. So cool. Cheers!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ I’ve gotta ask you sometime about your mention of using two gaskets with a gen crystal in a BP and the stair-step thing. It sounds like something I should learn about. I put a gen Xtal with stock BP gasket in a BP while I was testing out my new crystal press. Would be epic to understand a little more about how proper two gaskets would be by comparison on a BP.. sounds like I needs to learns me something nice as I learn to use this thing more and more

Use the original BP gasket, which is very short, about 1.2mm. Shave the gen-spec gasket down to the same height. Best way to do that is put it in a junk crystal with no cyclops and tape the top side to a die. Use the die as a handle, and sand the gasket down on a flat piece of 320 grit on a bench. Rotate often and check progress often. You will nearly touch the crystal underside with the paper by the time you get the right height. Switch to 400 grit near the end and don't use any black sandpaper, it can stain the gasket.

Set the original gasket in the case opening where it normally goes, set the gen-spec gasket on the new crystal. Press it in by hand as much as possible with the cyclops aligned, then finish with a crystal press. Make sure one gasket goes fully inside the other without any crushing or de-forming of either. If it absolutely won't go, you can lightly bevel sand the bottom edge of the inner gasket so you can overcome the top edge of the outer gasket. It's like a funnel shape and slips in easier. If that doesn't fit, lightly reduce the inner gasket diameter, you can sand it right on the crystal by swipe rolling it on the bench sandpaper.

If the fit ends up too loose you can use UV glue or clear epoxy to keep the gaskets together.

Two gaskets

15820905367844.jpg

15904472927442.jpg

Another one, this watch

15640610896830.jpg

Became this

15704701104580.jpg

Using two gaskets and a Clark's gen-spec with AR cyclops

15678784478594.jpg

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Roger wilco. Perfect brilliant instructions, even down to not messing with a darker coloured abrasive material during shaving. Thank you.
- I haven’t yet understood what two gaskets achieves that my piddly little one BP gasket with a gen xtal doesn’t, because that’s where I’ve no knowledge yet - to me it appears great - Is it for waterproofing, that with two it’s more proper and waterproofing can be achieved or something?

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Also I jump at any opportunity to buy more tools and accessories. You guys are enablers! :) I bought a new tool box this week too, ready to get her filled up. (I find owning more tools almost as satisfying as owning watches and parts lately haha)

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
I’ll take a further look at it with interest for sure. And maybe it’s something that’ll be more obvious to me while I’m studying it. Usually I’d pay a watchmaker to take care of everything but this was just me playing around for fun :) thanks guys. And apologies for taking up a little of the LV thread there.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Roger wilco. Perfect brilliant instructions, even down to not messing with a darker coloured abrasive material during shaving. Thank you.
- I haven’t yet understood what two gaskets achieves that my piddly little one BP gasket with a gen xtal doesn’t, because that’s where I’ve no knowledge yet - to me it appears great - Is it for waterproofing, that with two it’s more proper and waterproofing can be achieved or something?

IDK which watch you have on which you were able to use a gen or gen-spec crystal with a single gasket bro. Let alone the skinny short height stock BP gasket, yikes.

There is no need to use two gaskets if one works. That approach is only necessary if the case's opening is too large to fit a 29.5mm crystal plus gasket, which is how many cheaper 4 and 5 (and even some 6) digit cartel cases are.

The two crystal types below cannot fit in the same size opening with the same size single gasket. Gen-spec crystal is on the left. Typical rep cartel crystal on the right. The top step of a gen crystal has the same outer diameter of 30.5mm as the rep, so they look the same from above (except the cyclops, in some instances). But the case opening size appropriate for each crystal plus one gasket differs by that 1mm. The gen crystal size of 29.5mm is measured at the lower step, and is what the 295 refers to in the gen part number of B25-295-C12-C1 for the Sub or B25-295-CAR-C1 for the GMT.

RDwAX.jpg

Last edited:

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
Beautiful. Thanks for your knowledge KJ! And the pics to go with it are great. Brilliant. You’ve made me very excited to start learning about crystal use now, cheers!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Thanks for the precious info dear KJ! I always forget about the shaving needed on the insert. Thing is I have a thing for gen blue inserts and the shaving is a deal breaker. I might have to go fantasie and get the Ginault when the funds are ready :

Dial was dirt cheap, so clipping the feet is no problem. Still that's a lot of dough for a fantasy watch ^^

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jSMRkt]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jSSkAY]

Yes indeed bro! I like the look of blue inserts myself! here's my LN with "smurf" blue insert paired with blue rubber just need your dial yet ;)
Redheart Redhea
[url=https://clickpix.org/image/Z2GBaj]

Reactions: KJ2020

Redheart

17/5/19
Yes indeed bro! I like the look of blue inserts myself! here's my LN with "smurf" blue insert paired with blue rubber just need your dial yet ;) Redheart Redhea
Z2GBaj.jpg

Very nice!! From time to time some gen 16613 dial can be had for cheap, just need to snipe them on eBay!
For now i have a bp 16613 on order. I will shave the insert, I got it any it was not too expensive (sub 80$) so a little bit of shaving is fine. I saw KJ2020 linked earlier a BP 5 16613 with gen insert for sale on repgeek so it's doable. I really hope the bp 3135 is fine for the gen dial and gen insert. I will report here ! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Very nice!! From time to time some gen 16613 dial can be had for cheap, just need to snipe them on eBay!
For now i have a bp 16613 on order. I will shave the insert, I got it any it was not too expensive (sub 80$) so a little bit of shaving is fine. I saw earlier a BP 5 16614 with gen insert for sale on repgeek so it's doable. I really hope the bp 3135 is fine for the gen dial and gen insert. I will report here ! :)

Nice! I will say though with the bp 5 sub the insert fitment may not need a shaving try using baby oil to fit, just a thought because on my gen spec veit tudor sub build i used a gen insert and would not fit! Thought needed a shave but a member here told me about baby oil because he had similar build and used gen insert baby oil fitment hope all comes together nicely for you!

Reactions: Redheart and KJ2020