• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alternative 16610lv

Max1978

Known Member
20/1/20
hi guys I have read that the new Arf 16610lv is considered by many to be disgusting ... so I wanted to ask what is the other alternative for this reference? The BP?

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Bp is an alternative, not on par with the old JF, but i think no one should give ARF money because that release is a big ass joke

Max1978

Known Member
20/1/20
Bp is an alternative, not on par with the old JF, but i think no one should give ARF money because that release is a big ass joke

I wanted to buy the Jf but no TD has this watch available anymore !! then I thought of the Bp with movement 3135 ... even for me spending that money on the Arf is wasted !!! I would have spent it if it was decent !! but it is not
is there anything better than BP?

Last edited:

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
If you want to franken it, ARF is the only solution, BP case is not gen spec. If not well, you decide. I personally thinks that BP LV insert is horrible and the whole watch just ok.

Reactions: masterpiece777

Max1978

Known Member
20/1/20
To make the Arf decent, you need to change the glass and Dw
pity they no longer make the JF 16610lv !!! this thing is very sad

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Buy a Ginault and swap in some rep parts. Gen Swiss ETA, great crystal and DW. Rolex quality. They run about $1400.

fguW2.jpg

peppercorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/18
Buy a Ginault and swap in some rep parts. Gen Swiss ETA, great crystal and DW. Rolex quality. They run about $1400.

fguW2.jpg

I’ve been considering doing this. Which hands and dial would be considered ‘best’ for the eta?
Does the Ginault accept gen crystal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peppercorn

9/5/18
Also, is that a 116610 dial in a ginault case? Looks ‘maxi’

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
I’ve been considering doing this. Which hands and dial would be considered ‘best’ for the eta?

Note that you can fit a 3135 clone in a ginault case, finding good eta hands & dial will be difficult.
ARF is not that bad compared to JF. Dial, dial markers, crystal & DW were already not that good on the JF. Biggest problem is paying 100$ more for the same flaw, a worst insert and *stated* 904l. But bracelet seems better, especially clasp.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Depends on which Ginault you buy and what look you want to create. That one is the newest Ocean Rover II which has a ceramic insert. There are are dozens of combinations you could make with rep or gen dials, and rep hands. The member who owns this one ultimately put a Ginault Kermit insert on it hence the maxi dial. I think pretty much any combo would look great, the watch is a relatively inexpensive masterpiece. I like the look of that one as it sits. It should take a gen crystal but I wouldn't spend that money on it, the stock crystal is great. It should have a rep crown, caseback, and clasp to complete the conversion. I had high hopes for the ARF 16610 but the only thing I'm still interested in there is maybe the hands and dial for a Ginault conversion. I think it would be a slam dunk. The other parts I mentioned should be swappable too. Probably just use the whole ARF bracelet.

peppercorn

9/5/18
Depends on which Ginault you buy and what look you want to create. That one is the newest Ocean Rover II which has a ceramic insert. There are are dozens of combinations you could make with rep or gen dials, and rep hands. The member who owns this one ultimately put a Ginault Kermit insert on it hence the maxi dial. I think pretty much any combo would look great, the watch is a relatively inexpensive masterpiece. I like the look of that one as it sits. It should take a gen crystal but I wouldn't spend that money on it, the stock crystal is great. It should have a rep crown, caseback, and clasp to complete the conversion. I had high hopes for the ARF 16610 but the only thing I'm still interested in there is maybe the hands and dial for a Ginault conversion. I think it would be a slam dunk. The other parts I mentioned should be swappable too. Probably just use the whole ARF bracelet.

So if I understand this, an original ocean rover (l) would accept aluminum insert , rep crown/case back the ARF dial, hands and bracelet?
Are we talking about the 16610 ARF doner btw? Would that not necessitate the use of the 3135 movement too, due to the hands and dial?
Or, would 116610 dial and hands also fit, allowing the use of eta?

I apologize if I’m mixing too many ingredients at once here. I’m trying to streamline for bottom line of aluminum insert with eta and appropriate hands / dial.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If you use the new ARF 16610 as a donor you could potentially just swap in the whole 3135 movement/dial/hands set. Or use a VR3135 (better movement, better datewheel). Otherwise you'll need a better or gen DW, the ARF DW is not good. If you want to keep the Ginault 2824, you would need other hands. IDK firsthand if the crown or caseback would fit. The bracelet and/or clasp likely would. I'm sure there are many rep part combos that would work, as I mentioned. The biggest challenge is finding a suitable caseset, which the Ginault provides.

peppercorn

9/5/18
Good information, heska and KJ2020

If you were going to attempt the ARF dial/hands swap would it matter which Ginault case/model?
I guess the worst case scenario is it doesn’t work and in which case could be sold.

waterproofpt

7/4/13
BC Canada
On a slightly different tangent .... but relevant to what fits what ... Does a JF/ARF LV maxi dial fit on a Gen 3135 movement? Are the feet correct for that? Thinking of doing a different mod. Changing my gen 16610 to a Kermit. I have a Gen insert and hands. But .... the maxi dial is virtually impossible to find. Gen or rep.
Would a JF/ARF dial fit ? Without modification.

m5smg2

Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
hi guys I have read that the new Arf 16610lv is considered by many to be disgusting ... so I wanted to ask what is the other alternative for this reference? The BP?

Option 1
BP $3xx and call it a day.

Option 2
ARF is gen spec construction and the only true 904L steel and do some worthy mods.

Option 3
Ginalut in darker 316L but closer micro details and spend triple on mods for total package.

Option 4
Used TC or JF on our sales section if you’re lucky.

houss1981

15/3/17
Does tje ginault case has same spec as the gen 16610?
lugs, CG and other dimenions?

Last edited:

cjt202020

Renowned Member
Supporter
3/2/14
4b2152aca7d251ce39d89d2e6e429498.jpg

I’m a big fan of the 904 steel of the arf. Makes all the other visual floors disappear for me. I’ve ordered a click spring to sort the bezel as that is terrible

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I thought you could get shot for making such bold assertions on the rep forums...

Lol yeah i wonder what happened to the guy who created that document where he showed how TC is Ginault, he must have been destroyed by countless lawyers for defamation and slandering lmao

In fact, he disappeared ever since